What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Homemade Carbon Filter Club

Pig-Pen

dtoker said:
heres mine....

Very cool! I've got a few sheets of that stuff lying around myself. Got it cuz I thought it would be a good framing material for a filter, though I havn't used it yet.

Nice, compact design there. :yes:

@pig-pen:

hi mate! yes, i adapted filter from sugabear_II's thread called "micro carbon scrubber", sorry i didn't mentioned it before!

minigreens

InPotiTrust : sweet filter dude. do you get extra good airflow with that?

dtoker: i rememberd you using a cd spindle on yours so i started making mine. i just left the top part of the cd spindle on and used my soldering iron to make holes all around it. took forever and wish i would have just bought some of the stuff you got :bashhead:

great thread

dtoker

minigreens, lol that must have taken ages mate and stunk your place out with plastic fumes but at least u got there in the end bro!

pHaroaH

InPotiTrust I saw you describe this in your grow thread. You are using the premade activated carbon filter material. I saw some at the store and I like how easy it would be to work with. The concerns I had were how long this lasts and how well it works in late flowering?

InPotiTrust

pHaroaH I'm in late flowering right now with 18 plants and u would be hard pressed to smell anything from the cab.Since it's so cheap and easy to change the material i'll just change it after every run.

F

F0iL

bump! keep this thread alive people! lovin all the new ideas that you all have been giving me. I am right now trying to figure out how to mount my diy carbon scrubber. I just don't know how I want to do it. Will post pics once installed.

Connoisseur300

Smoke it if ya got it!!
Veteran
F0iL said:
bump! keep this thread alive people! lovin all the new ideas that you all have been giving me. I am right now trying to figure out how to mount my diy carbon scrubber. I just don't know how I want to do it. Will post pics once installed.

I think a good idea to mount your carbon scrubber is to fabricate a sheet metal flang. I'll be doing one myself in about a week so I can install my 5" fan into my new mother room. I'll be using one of these ideas off this thread and will post my results while it happens.

I really like dtokers design.

Last edited:

Blue_adept

i make mine using 2in diameter abs pipe and couplers.

sort of like this :

80mm pc fan
^
2in tall abs cut
^
screen material
^
abs coupler (full of carbon) screens are above and below
^
screen material
^
abs pipe

they take up a super small footprint and can be routed in any direction.

BA

F

F0iL

Connoisseur300 - Yeah i just made a a wooden type flange that i just cut to a square and put a 4" hole in the middle. Thanks

I tried it out and it seems like my filter is too restrictive in air flow. I am using a 120mm 89cfm pc fan and it just doesnt push through it. I know I should be sucking through the filter and out the fan but due to space I can't do that. I am going to try and different style filter diy and see if it works. let you all know on the new design. :joint:

Heres my filter, made from wire mesh from frying pan splash guards from a home ware store, and a hot glue gun to hold seams and seal areas you want sealed with liberal amounts of hot glue (hey it works and its easy lol). Got my idea from sugabear & numurous other micro growers threads, i wouldnt grow with out it, just recharged it the other day 99% no smell, if you poke your nose in the outlit you can smell something but it doesnt smell like weed at all, just like stale air.
Peace Greendrumb. :joint:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Thorough pre-washing. Wrap final setup in panty hose or filter media.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
maybe i need a new brand of crbon. i washed it before i used it. boy what a mess that was. had to wash the whole bathroom afterwards so many black smudges everywhere. and as aoon as it was dry again here comes the dust. ive got "filter media" in the form of polyester batting/fill the same as everyone is using up there except mine isnt compressed into sheets its just loose and im packing it myself. im using 2 stockings one outside and one inside. still as im taping my filter to the exhaust im getting fine black dust all over everything. i can only imagine how its going to look after 24 hours of slow air flowing through it.

I am wondering if everyone is using DurbanPoison formula to find the size their scrubber should be and if that matters that much? Also is there to much(am sure it can be too little to scrub right) area of the scrubber that would not scrub the air right. Meaning can it be too big?