What's new

Homebox XS

bongoman

Hi there

I'm tempted to get a XS Homebox which I assume qualifies as a micro grow (60cm x 60cm x 120cm).

Sure I could save some $$ and build my own but I love the convenience of having an instantly light proof box with ventilation holes etc already to go.

I'm looking at semi-stealth - it would sit in my home office.

The manufacturers pitch it as ideal for a 150W so that's what I'm looking at, although I still haven't given up on the idea of fluoros - either T5's or CFL's. I like te idea that they provide a better spectrum of light.

A few questions about running this type and size of cabinet.

1. Is a 150W HPS the way to go? Can I veg under the HPS as well? I'm trying to keep things as simple and cheap as possible.

2. The box would be in a medium size room: hard to give dimensions but a typical bedroom size room. If I'm ventilating and drawing air from within this room, is that OK? I don't want to have to worry about venting and drawing air from outside the room.

3. I've seen a 150W light with an inbuilt ballast called a lobay - it allows MH and HPS bulbs to be swapped but the internal ballast worries me in terms of heat. Any thoughts?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hi,
the internal ballast would worry me too, that thing will generate heat, but being a 150 it may be managable. I run a 400 in the same size room, and I only open the window in summer for cooler air, in the winter I begrudgingly open it a little to let condensation out. 60x60 is pretty tight, but 120 tall is more head hight than I work with, with my 400w. If you are planning on mounting a 150 for that kind of hight, you will need some side lighting as a 150 wont provide the depth of lighting you will want. Perhaps a 4' flouro fitting on each corner may be of use, but dont let the leaves touch the flouro bulbs, maybe build a little chicken wire fence for the bulbs. You could veg under just a HPS bulb, or flower under just flouros, I use flouro for early veg, HPS for late veg and flower, some use a mix of both during both. Just thoughts.

Last edited:

stevr59

check out the link in my signture it has hps light from 70 watts up to a 1000 watts cheap
i use there 150 watts hps and i tore it apart and remote the ballast it very easy to do.. not bad for 40 bucks total , but if it was my box i would go with a 400 watt or a 600 my self like gmt said it dont have much penatration if i had to do it i would use side lighting. dont see any proublem venting into and off the room thats what i do but if you have a smelly strain its going to smell bad so realy you need a carbon filter..

xsailbox

this sized box will be PERFECT!
I was considering either getting the
Mills Pride C1 from Homedepot or one they have at wal-mart w/a built in lock(i think its called the G53 or G65... same measurements as the C1)
the C1 is 24"W x 15 3/8D x 69 3/4"H
and the Homebox XS is
24"W x 24"D x 48"H

...looks like its about 20 inches shorter but about 10 inches more depth...
I like the homebox because it seems theres less headaches to worry about building a box and most importantly, portability...

1. these things should be 100% lightproof from the outside right?
2. Do you think its possible to get more than a 150w HPS in there effectively?>
(i have a 70w hps in a computer hase without too many issues... put the whole light in there, w/ fixture/refector and all)
econolight has a 150hps for really cheap...
http://www.e-conolight.com/Product/EProductDetail.asp?ProductFamilyID=3&FGNumber=E-HC1H151Z
they also have 250 & 400w models for not too much more..
3. For the carbon scrubber I guess I can build that using some ducting parts and all..
4. what fan do you recommend?
5. what about the hydro system? Maybe a simple homemade DWC setup?(holes cut in a sterlite or rubbermaid w/ netpots & airbubbler...) or something different?
6. any other parts?
7. where can I find the best price for this?

J

Jam Master Jaco

xsailbox said:
this sized box will be PERFECT!
I was considering either getting the
Mills Pride C1 from Homedepot or one they have at wal-mart w/a built in lock(i think its called the G53 or G65... same measurements as the C1)
the C1 is 24"W x 15 3/8D x 69 3/4"H
and the Homebox XS is
24"W x 24"D x 48"H

...looks like its about 20 inches shorter but about 10 inches more depth...
I like the homebox because it seems theres less headaches to worry about building a box and most importantly, portability...

1. these things should be 100% lightproof from the outside right?
2. Do you think its possible to get more than a 150w HPS in there effectively?>
(i have a 70w hps in a computer hase without too many issues... put the whole light in there, w/ fixture/refector and all)
econolight has a 150hps for really cheap...
http://www.e-conolight.com/Product/EProductDetail.asp?ProductFamilyID=3&FGNumber=E-HC1H151Z
they also have 250 & 400w models for not too much more..
3. For the carbon scrubber I guess I can build that using some ducting parts and all..
4. what fan do you recommend?
5. what about the hydro system? Maybe a simple homemade DWC setup?(holes cut in a sterlite or rubbermaid w/ netpots & airbubbler...) or something different?
6. any other parts?
7. where can I find the best price for this?

1. Yes it needs to be lightproof, if there are light leaks during the plants dark cycle (night time) it can stress the plant into turning hermie.
2. If you really wanted to you could have an air cooled hood and pack at least a 400 watter in there. You'd have some noisy fans to deal with though
3. You can build your own carbon scrubber or buy one. I recommend making your own.
4. For a fan I recommend a 170 CFM inline fan. With it you would not have to worry about heat problems. (more then likely)
5. A homemade DWC is the way to go. Simple and yet way better then soil
6. You're going to find that you forgot at least one little thing somewhere down the line. One thing that a lot of people overlook is sterilizing their cabinet/grow area before they grow in it to get rid of insects and anything else that may be hiding in it. better safe then sorry.
7. You should build as much of it as you can on your own, it will be the most cheap route and you can customize to fit in an exact spot that a prebuilt cab may not fit in stealthly. :wave:

stevr59

opps sorry i thought the box was bigger than that scrach the 600 and 400 a 250 for shure may be a 400 with a 250 cmf in line fan and a cool tube. and hell yeah on the dwc or you could go swc and get a few more inches or mml but the dwc would be the best route

bongoman

The Homebox is totally lightproof and airtight. My understanding is there are cheaper versions out there but they might not be so well sealed.

I've got no connection with them. In fact, trying to get one shipped to Australia will probably cost more than it is worth, but it just seems so easy to get up and running.

I'd love to go DWC but am concerned about keeping the res temperature down. It gets hot here in summer and maybe I'd just have to shut down for three months or so over the hottest months. Or go soil/soilless for a cycle

A friend told me;
If you can get past the noise and the odor, then Heat is a BIG issue, with these boxes... a recirculating air conditoner built inside a soundproof box with scrubbed ventalation to the room or attic should be attached to the side of the plant box, thusly optimizing your plant's growth incredibly due to proper temperature. temperature plays almost as big a roll as nutrients, a good rule of thumb. This is my first post - long time reader, always praying for Gypsie's freedom. PEACE

S

stretchpuppy

Neato. I just picked up a HydroHut Mini as a mom/clone room to compliment my C13 flowering cab, and let me tell you there is nothing "mini" about it. After this grow the Mini will become my flower room and the C13 the mom room. Anyway...

"1. Is a 150W HPS the way to go? Can I veg under the HPS as well? I'm trying to keep things as simple and cheap as possible."

I would go 250w HPS and use a digital ballast. Invest in good products now is less work down the line I've learned. You can switch between MH and HPS witout even flicking a switch. If starting from seed your plants will stretch more under a HPS yes. Short and bushy under the MH.

"2. The box would be in a medium size room: hard to give dimensions but a typical bedroom size room. If I'm ventilating and drawing air from within this room, is that OK? I don't want to have to worry about venting and drawing air from outside the room."

That is perfectly fine provided you have some type of Central air or even a window unit. My first two grows, veg and flower, all happened in a C13 in the corner of my bedroom, with a 4" vortex pulling from a 400w HPS. With the 400 the inside cab temps were on average 10 degrees higher than the ambient room temp. First grow was hydro and had no problems with water temps, etc. I would consider running a HEPA air filter in the same room to keep dust and mold spores out of the air as best possible.

"3. I've seen a 150W light with an inbuilt ballast called a lobay - it allows MH and HPS bulbs to be swapped but the internal ballast worries me in terms of heat. Any thoughts?"

Probably not the best idea because the tent is so small but a 150w would't put out THAT much heat, and I bet you could manage. I would suggest again using the digital ballast because it puts out way less heat, and have it sitting on top of or next to the tent.

How much do they want for that thing anyway?

S

stretchpuppy

Oh. T5's with the vegging spectrum put out AMAZING results.

I haven't seen that mant posts on flowering with them, but I bet some amazing results could be had with the flower spectrum T5 lights.

S

stretchpuppy

potentrodent said:
BTW, I think HydroHut is the main manufacturer; HomeBox / BudBox are simply licensed and branded versions of the same thing, I'm pretty sure.

It's the other way around. They are def. two competing companies and aren't related.

xsailbox

I want to try a 400w hps/mh cooltube setup with digital balllasts...does any one here advise against it? Ive seen many cabs use a 400 with much smaller area...

S

stretchpuppy

I think it would be ok depending on enviroment, but I wouldn't do it in a 60cm x 60cm x 120cm box (23.6 x 23.6 x 47 inches) it would be a waste of light, power, money, and time, if you ask me. Unless your ambient room temps were in the 60s I bet you'd battle heat issues with a 400w in a box this size.

A 250 sounds perfect for this box.

Latest posts

Latest posts