What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Home TLC Thin layer chromatography

dongle

I'm not making a commercial product, but am doing "commercial work" as this is a tiny piece of a much larger project, and there are others who might be upset about it. As mentioned I would be willing to share with you privately, and hope you can understand that.

I do understand I got public info/assistance, but I don't feel I should necessarily be obligated to divulge what I've done with that info.

In terms of an analogy, software development is what I'm most familiar with in that sense so Ill give one: I see it more as a BSD license, not a GNU/GPL license. If you're familiar with that.

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
no worries mate, all good :) thankyou for being clear about your position either way. I'm just happy to have another friend to play with hahaha, TLC for cannabinoids remains a lonely sandpit because most ppl still don't even know about it, let alone know how accessible it can be from a DIY @ Home perspective.

dongle

Here's a quick excerpt/summary:
https://fosswire.com/post/2007/04/the-differences-between-the-gpl-lgpl-and-the-bsd/ said:
GNU General Public Licence
Basically, you're allowed to use, redistribute and change the software, but any changes you make must also be licensed under the GPL. So that means you have to give everyone else the same rights as you got. Fair's fair, right?

The BSD Licence
In contrast to the GNU licences, the BSD licence is very permissive. Used originally by the BSD operating system, it covers a fair amount of software.

The BSD basically says "here's the source code, do whatever you want with it, but if you have problems, it's your problem". That means you can take BSD'ed code and turn it into a proprietary application if you so wish - there's nothing saying you have to give the code back (although it is nice to do so).

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
eh? that makes sense to me as i'm in IT, but I didn't expect to see it in a chemistry perspective lol ... afterall you won't be releasing either source code or binaries

dongle

Also I feel like I've "given back" in additional information & pictures posted after resolving the DIY plate issue. There are certain other things I can't share because it goes beyond the scope of this project, and will reveal too much of what's going on with the other pieces of the larger project. Not sure if that makes clear sense, but that's all I can say for now. Of the 500-ish IG followers I have, about 400 of them are "competitors".

dongle

eh? that makes sense to me as i'm in IT, but I didn't expect to see it in a chemistry perspective lol ... afterall you won't be releasing either source code or binaries

"Binaries" (products/services) are certainly being released. That's the "larger project" I speak of. I'm not making a TLC or test kit like AlphaCAT, if you're wondering that.

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
YES, you have given back! :) thankyou (hell, we still don't even have a dozen people who've posted plates!)
You're one of the very few people here who've posted TLC plates or experimental information/results ... we're a rare breed, unfortunately, but if we want more people to start using TLC to analyse their cannabis then we need to make it more ACCESSIBLE to them, especially via tutorials etc!

I just hope you can keep contributing in ways that won't affect your commercial gig - experiments etc :)
All the best with your commercial work too though! :)

dongle

On your previous concern: at least for concentrates/hash, I am finding it makes zero difference on extraction solvent. I imagine this may not be the case for flower, however, as each solvent at a different temperature will likely pick up various compounds at a different rate.

I've done heptane, hexane, acetone, and pentane and makes zero difference on concentrates

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Since we're being all helpful and all. And, talking about sharing. anyone want to post a link to where to purchase that FastBBB that I was just told to 'search' for because of 'security' reasons? LOL

I never found anything helpful.

Maybe if they know where to buy it, more than 12 people will do it. ;)

And, thanks for everything so far. ;)

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
:(
Ringodoggie ... so even Google and CAS number isn't enough?
I agree it is not the easiest thing to find, but it's out there.

Also, and again, try contacting your local labs/chemsupplies to ask if they can get it in for you.

because of 'security' reasons? LOL
Yes. If you say here in this thread "i got my FBBB from (eg) 'Bobs Chemsupplies'... ", can you not understand how that's a security issue for the person who posted it? eg. they're saying "this company has my financial record of the transaction" ...

I'm not sure why you're being so dismissive of security, it should be EVERYONES #1 priority, ALWAYS, and if it ever becomes a "LOL" matter then there's a problem that needs to be addressed or clarified.

dongle

Ringodoggie, its not hard at all to find. Took me literally 30 seconds to locate via google, and another 5 minutes to ponder what G.O. Joe said about the right one of the two. If you werent clear on where to find that (even tho many others have found it, incl me), he spelled it out crystal clear again a few pages ago

If you cant even comprehend something that basic, you will certainly fail figuring out the rest

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
finding CBD is the hard part lol

Ringodoggie, trust me this thread has already provided everything you need to find FBBB/FBB mate ... i think you just need to either tweak your google search phrases, or contact some lab/chem supply companies in your country, just ask them to import 5gm for you, youll be surprised how easy it is :)

dongle

Shall I dare say, ss#7 is *better* than CHCl3??!

picture.php

2x distillate, 3x bho crude, 1x thca (barely visible)

Notice how lane #5 (crude bho, 3 applications on spot) streaks a little more due to misalignment of the multiple applications

Last edited:

dongle

Looks like this distillate may contain THCV, which the HPLC/MS did not detect. And, above the THC shown with Ss#7, geranyl? Or did the various cannabinoids elute in different order due to different solvent system?

Pick a Standard any Standard! :chin: i mashed this together in Photoshop ...

Cannabinoi000b.jpg

Cannabinoid ordering:
Alpha-CAT: CBD CBN THC THCV CBG CBC
Cannalytics: CBGM CBD CBN THC THCV CBG CBC CBND
Cannalytics?: CBC CBG THC THCV CBD CBN CBNV CBND
MontanaBio1: CBC CBD THC THCV CBG CBN
MontanaBio2: CBC CBD THC THCV CBG CBN
Mississippi: CBDA THCA THCV CBD CBG CBN THC CBC
LeidenUni: THC CBD CBN CBG CBC THCA CBDA CBGA CBCA
Gaoni/Mech: CBL CBD THC-D8 THC-D9 CBN CBC CBG

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Not a problem for me bud. I have a source. I buy all my supplies from Montana Biotech. They have great service, give nice discounts to repeat buyers and offer tech assistance whenever it's needed.

I was just asking for the benefit of others who might be following this thread.

Actually, if you search my content, you'll see I already did a thread on DIY TLC and I posted all kinds of links for others to follow. I was just butting in your thread where I should not have been. ;) I'll butt out now.

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
Ringodoggie, please don't take it the wrong way mate. We're just all trying to learn about something that has very little published info, so I'm just trying to help encourage that share of information about this process! :) massive respect to all who contribute

dongle

Not a problem for me bud. I have a source. I buy all my supplies from Montana Biotech. They have great service, give nice discounts to repeat buyers and offer tech assistance whenever it's needed.

I was just asking for the benefit of others who might be following this thread.

Actually, if you search my content, you'll see I already did a thread on DIY TLC and I posted all kinds of links for others to follow. I was just butting in your thread where I should not have been. ;) I'll butt out now.
You're the only one I've seen who had trouble finding something so easy. That's probably because you didn't read more than 10 posts in this thread.

Glad you have a source with great tech support that failed to find the right one for you after they screwed you the first time. Now fuck off with your repeated badgering of something so trivial.

Sour grapes are a bitch

Last edited:

dongle

Whoever "NotGuilty" is thats posting: no one can see your posts, a moderator must have placed you in coventry (you can see your own posts but others cant see yours). Just fyi, you're wasting your breath

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Ringodoggie, please don't take it the wrong way mate. We're just all trying to learn about something that has very little published info, so I'm just trying to help encourage that share of information about this process! :) massive respect to all who contribute

No problem bud. It's all good. :)