What's new

home potency test to determine sex?

gro mo cbd

I was reviewing the details on the 8-minute CBD home test and I wondered if it can be used to determine sex. The tests are so cheap to perform. I grow for home use and use my own seeds. If I test for potency during the vegetative cycle, can i assume the lowest potency plants are male? It would be so helpful to determine this early on. Has anyone tried this?

PolyChucker

Personally I grow my plants in veg to 8wks and preflowers at that time should tell you what’s male. It’s an interesting idea to try your test and report back. It seems a lot of people will take clones, put them under 12hr to show gender, leaving the original plants unchanged. Of course for a micro setup that means you need two areas - but the flowering for clones can be one led grow bulb in an old lamp - so not much more space needed.

gro mo cbd

Wow, thanks for the cloning idea. I can clone the plants that have the lowest cbd test results and see if it they're males.

PolyChucker

I think real breeders have multiple rooms and sprout 100 seeds at a time, take two clones of each seedling, flip 1 clone to show gender, keep one clone for safekeeping, and flower out the original 100 plants from seed unfertilized, to see the full potential of flowering. That means they have like 300 plants then they pick the top 5-10 males and females and pollinate, maybe using one of the clones for seeds and marking which bud corresponds to which male etc and a complicated numbering/tagging system.

me I’m just messing around with free seeds from friends, sprout 40 at a time, wait for gender then take 1 clone of each that’s developing normally and go to flower. If the clone doesn’t survive and it’s my favorite female then I’ll try to reveg but ideally I would pick females that can be cloned. Males I usually only use 1-5 to keep it somewhat simple. I also evaluate females with a couple seeded buds to keep the plant numbers down. Seeds will diminish the size of the bud but it’s all relative, so if all the females have 50-100 seeds and they’re treated the same, then the best one will be even better without seeds if you run it again.

if you are working with a “worked line” hopefully the plants will be similar enough that you can judge them on superficial things like vigor and bud size. But the smoke test is the most important and it’s very cool to have clones in veg of your favorite plants for safekeeping.

the plant is annual and wants to flower and die.. you will be happy if you take 1-2 clones of each before flip - the best smoke is usually a surprise - the diligence of taking lots of clones will make you very happy when you have a surprise best plant - which is usually the case.

JockBudman

No sure about usin them test the way you're sayin, but if there's home thc ones, they could be useful for testin males prior tae pollination. Obviously thc content isn't everythin, but if you know what structure an smells tae look for it could narrow down a search.

gro mo cbd

Thanks for the info. It's all helpful. this is the first year that I intentionally pollinated my plants. I have enough seeds now, to last me forever. but I realize now, that i can improve my future crops. I documented the plants, weighed the buds and separated the seeds for each plant. This year, i separated the tall plants from the short plants, hoping that will determine the males from females, but that didn't work. I think its because the seeds are from 2 different strains and one strain is a smaller plant. I'm growing CBD for my arthritis and I don't smoke it. I powder it and cap it. It's hard to compare the plants because each day the pain levels are different. I can tell the difference from different strains. but i think that these plants are so similar, it will be hard to tell. that's why i want to do the potency tests to decide which plants that I want to grow next year.
Early removal of the extra males would be so helpful.