What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Home Depot / Lowes Nutrients & Soil

Get some Lambert's, bone meal and Plant-Tone.....you can do alright with those three. You might need some Epsom's salts as well. You can pick up some fish emulsion for N if you want.

Just add more Plant-Tone as a top dressing during veg and top dress with bone at the beginning of flowering. You may have to do some experimenting with the amounts but I can assure you this will grow dank weed.

*mistress*

Veteran
medium:
perlite.
black gold coco blend.
(now called 'water hold' blend.
coco, peat, perlite, pumice, yucca)

maybe mix 50/50:)

ferts:

down to earth vegan mix 3-2-2 (no animal/fish, etc... rock/mineral-based. better ph control)
alaska 2-1-2 w/ b1 & molasses...

end...

available @ most general/home improve store.
nothing else needed.

enjoy your garden!

igrowone

Veteran
one of the organic nutes you can get there is MG Organic Choice Bone Meal
this is a little different in that it has nitrogen(6-9-0), and it's the nice slow release kind
many don't like MG products, and with some of their products, i wouldn't argue
but their bone meal is a top notch product

bakelite

<--- noobass) What does the 10-0-0 or 5-1-1, and other combination of 3 numbers mean when talking about nutrients?

dubbers, those numbers are the percentages of the primary plant nutrients NPK (N=Nitrogen, P=Phosphorus and K=Potassium). In general you want more Nitrogen when vegging plants and more Phosphorus during bloom/flower.

-bakelite

Just transplanted my clone from rockwool to Sta green and perlite with 1 table spoon blood meal and 1.5 table spoons garden lime. Seems to be taking to it decently for now but its to soon to tell :x

hkush

My opinion, if I was going to lowes, I'd get the fish fertilizer, mix it weak and feed often. It'll be less of an acid ph doing it that way. Throw in a tablespoon of Grandma's Mollases once in a while.

On soil I'd get a bale of peat. This time of year you want to make sure you don't get one that's bbeen sitting outside waterlogged all winter. It's pretty much an insect colony by that point. Get a fresh bag. Blood and bone meal also. Easy on the blood meal is my preference.

You're going to have to find a place to get some worm castings, bat guano, vermiculite, perlite and mycorrhizae. I wouldn't gt the perlite at Lowes as it will be Miracle grow, salt based, mycorrhizae killing, fertilizer embedded shit. Plus it would break my personal vow of never buying anything that comes from Miracle Grow.

My opinion, if I was going to lowes, I'd get the fish fertilizer, mix it weak and feed often. It'll be less of an acid ph doing it that way. Throw in a tablespoon of Grandma's Mollases once in a while.

On soil I'd get a bale of peat. This time of year you want to make sure you don't get one that's bbeen sitting outside waterlogged all winter. It's pretty much an insect colony by that point. Get a fresh bag. Blood and bone meal also. Easy on the blood meal is my preference.

You're going to have to find a place to get some worm castings, bat guano, vermiculite, perlite and mycorrhizae. I wouldn't gt the perlite at Lowes as it will be Miracle grow, salt based, mycorrhizae killing, fertilizer embedded shit. Plus it would break my personal vow of never buying anything that comes from Miracle Grow.

I used the MG perlite :( Plenty of it too. Hope it doesn't hurt my outcome.

DRorganic

Veteran
if you want a good fert at lows i would go with a organic soil mix with blood and bone meal and make me a worm bin .its the best investment you can make when it comes to growing anything. just order you some red wigglers and feed it left over food and news paper . that's where you get all your good critters to bring everything to life .
buy you some fish ferts at lows ,5-1-1 veg,and they have some fish for bloom get it .depending on what stage you are at brew the ferts in to a tea using the fish ferts and add the earth worm castings ,black strap molasses. and you can also get the epsoma tones to add for other goodies .brew for 2-3 days and your set.

watts

ohms
Veteran
when are places like home depot and lowes going to realize they could make a killing if they stocked good quality soils like they carry at hydro stores

Izoc666

I do like to shop at homedepot for my organic grow.

i would suggest you to get Preimer shagnum peat moss (same company that make PROMIX)- 14 bucks, Kellog's patio plus- 5 bucks, and Miracle Grow s perlite. mix it up...also add Espoma s Garden Lime, MGs Blood meal, MGs bone meal, and Espoma s Kelp meal, and espona salt...let it sit and cooking for a month before you transplant into that soils.

when the plants delete the fertz in the soil. Yes use that Alaska Fish Shit 5-1-1- (one tablespoon per galloon and it wont burn your plant for sure) and i dont know about Alaska s 0-10-10 thats not organic but it can burn shit out of your plant)

or you can top dress with blood meal for boost nitrogen and for flower stage, use bone meal as top dressing too. :D

Hope you have a good growing soon !

You can get bucket hydro systems from home depot, hydro nutes, promix, coco, ph up/down, t5 grow lights, pretty much whatever you need. You have to have it all shipped to your store though but it's anonymous. Only thing i'll ever buy in a hydro store are trays netpots and medium.

lobsterbush

I've been using
Mg organic soil
about 25% perlite (not MG)
lime
espoma starter plus with myco

Works great with a shot or two of fish emulsion through the stretch. After that I use some Pure blend pro (Wish that came from lowes)

supermanlives

Veteran
espoma is good stuff and all in one. i would buy a complete organic fert and not mess with buying bags of this and that. read the labels and see what in there. lots of stuff not available at hd thats what. theres like 3 or 4 to choose from last time i looked. for me using a diverse bunch of ferts to break down works way better than just bone and blood meal.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
shit nigga, home depot and lowes have so much shit if you go at the right time of year. why would you even waste your money on promixes and miracle gro organics.

they got cow compost, mushroom compost, all manner of topsoils and forest mulch, and they sell huge chunks of sphagnum and peat for pennies on the pound. buy a bag of each of those shits, mix em together and add some perlite. all for what you paid for 1 package of this promix or sunshine or whatever else fancy over priced soil mixes you guys like to use.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I've been buying composts from Lowes for years. At $3.49/40 lb for mushroom compost you can't go wrong. The bales of peat moss, bags of cow manure, and bags of mulch are cheap too.

Recently I've been seeing a lot more organic products: Miracle grow soil, Espoma amendments and fertilizer blends, fish emulsion, and neem oil concentrates.

-Funk

Latest posts

Latest posts