What's new

Hollow stems and why legal weed is disgusting

BillFarthing

Veteran
Hollow stems and white pith show proper calcium content and healthy plant metabolism. This can also happen with silica supplementation.

Also, breeders have created new blends of terpenes in flower through hybrids. They can absolutely taste meaty or umami, regardless of grow style. Wife had some Meatbreath that was unique and tasty when grown in KNF.

I am personally a salty cash cropper who grows with low P and organic biostimulants. Bloom boosters are a hydro store myth. Excess P needs to be washed out or it makes flowers burn black. I should know, I ran a hydro store for years.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
The legal weed I bought and smoked in Denver was definitely disgusting. It was sold in packaging that listed all the possible additives and pesticides used. Tasted like shit, and the high was nothing I couldn't get off of weed that sells for $40 a quarter around here. But the weed sold illegally around here is better because it doesn't have a disgusting chemical taste.

PolyChucker

I am working with polyhybrids
i have both hollow and solid stems.
The health of the plant does not seem to be affected by hollow or solid stem. I have big and small plants that have hollow and solid stems.
but the plants that I like, usually have hollow stem.
this doesn’t prove anything besides that I haven’t got to the point in breeding where I can tell that one is better than the other. I think when I’m nitpicking between keepers once the plants have become very uniform, maybe I’d pick the solid stem for structural reasons - if it felt stronger
maybe the plants with hollow stem produce more resin, that’s why I like them more - but they could be making more resin and have a hollow stem because they are stressed - I guess you could just feed them straight water and grow outdoors if you want to see the most natural, maybe least stressed plant. Or at least a plant that wasn’t pushed to its limit

the connection between hollow stems and club weed feels like a non sequitur.

Ralph W. Llama

I have a strain family that absolutely produces meaty and savory flavors from light organic soil. Chicken bullion and everything spice are the main notes, it’s consistent indoors and outdoors. DJ Short and others have maintained that hollow stems are a positive sign of a good strain.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I used to get hollow stems when I was learning. I needed lots of water, high RH and cramped conditions to trigger it. Internodal spacing would be extreme, as they reached for the sky. Like preflower stretch gone crazy. In a way, it did take some healthy plants to grow inches in a day. It was not favourable to me though.

It's far to long ago, but haze may of been required. The JH and northern 5 haze commonly did it. I disliked both, mainly for this reason.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I was told by the customer rep at Blue Gold that Silica helps keep the hollow stems down. I use AgSil-16.