What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Holding clones in stasis? (the refrigerator method)

G

Greyskull

Great thread,not tried this method of cloning......yet.........
Happy growing all....

PEACE OUT!!

hey m0ff9 this isn't really a cloning method, but more of a way to keep cuts 'alive' for extended periods of time.

by keeping clones in stasis, you can have a 'savings' of cuts of sorts... so if you need to give your mom a haircut you don't have to just waste (ie trash/compost) the excess vegetation - you can store it for further use as cuttings.

my fridge is now like my 'savings account'.

stewart

i have to agree I have tried this method and it works. Just get a gallon ziplock bag and put as many cuts as you want in it. No water or anything just dry and in the vegetables drawer. I have kept them for 6 weeks with no problems.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I've kept cuttings in the fridge for 2 weeks. Yeah - they rooted but it isn't something that I would be inclined to repeat. In my case it was an accident (as in I forgot that a friend had left some cuttings in the fridge for me to investigate).

Bottom line is that , yes, they did root.

Would I do this on a regular basis or part of a process? Never!

Just a thought.

CC

KnuckleHedd

I'm trying this metod right now. I'm REALLY tired of taking cuttings from flowering plants and waiting for them to reveg and going thru all kinds of weird growth. Been doing it for 7 yrs. 9 days ago I took good stout cuttings from the plants I want to reproduce. 4 strains in all. Edelweiss, AK47, BB Cheese and Bubblegum. I combined the 2 methods people described here. They are in jars of water AND in a large ziplock. So far so good. I sprayed them with Hydroshield hoping to prevent mold growth. They tend to get wet from water condensing on the plastic bags, which is the only thing I'm woried about. I open them every 3 days or so and blot off some water, breath into the bag, zip it back up and back into the fridge. I have a thermometer in there and adjusted the temp to a steady 45 F before I started. I need to keep them in stasis until around 18 January. I'll update when appropriate.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That method has worked well for many, but you dont need a fridge, plastic or stasis to keep cuttings for that long

We agree with the guest.. fridges are cold,, all that is needed is fresh and clean supply of water!

7253caliOmale.JPG

Hope this helps

KnuckleHedd

A quick update on my refridgerated cuttings. It's been 2 weeks now and they still seem to be doing well. The only thing I'm worried about is the newest leaves at the top are yellowing from the stem forward.....like when they've been in the dark. They seem to have grown in the dark. I've seen something similar after a 4 day power outage. I lowered the temp from 45F to 40F....it varies a little 38-40F. Other than that they still seem fine. Some one in this thread mentioned you might start loosing some after about 2 weeks, so the yellowing has me concerned. I need to keep them in stasis for a total of 1 month. I considered taking them out of the fridge for a few hours and placing them about 30 inches under the T5 where I'm keeping an Edelweiss mother in case the fridge method doesn't work out. I have an open mind and welcome suggestions from those who've done this before. I'll update when appropriate.

My baby mama's were looking horrid, and my new bubble tubble ain't ready quite yet, so I took a sack full of cuttings from each as a precaution. Thanks!

i use a modified version of this based on this thread. basicly i prep my cutting like you would if you're cloning. for me, this is rockwool cubes and liquid rooting gel. i then fill a large tupperware container that i bought at a local dollar store with my cuts and toss it in the fridge. i dont spray or mist at all cause the rockwool is holding all the moisture needed. burp them 1-2 a week and they will keep for 5-10 weeks. they wont root in the fridge, but once taken out and put into veg, they root within a few days.

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
An oldie but a goodie of a 6 year old thread...

An oldie but a goodie of a 6 year old thread...

an expanded brief description from another old post.
I give it just a little spritz...
less is more, basically what amounts to a couple, few drops of water.
The light spritz helps keep the cuttings fresher longer by helping to prevent the un-rooted wanna be plants from transpiring its own moisture.

I like to see the bag slightly puffed up to help minimize contact with the sides of the oh so slightly dew dropped bag walls, you don't want larger dewdrops collecting and then dew-dropping down onto the cuts.
20 or thirty to a bag...why not a problem, in fact they do even better with some company.
Use a Quart sized for smaller amounts if you'd like, but I'd just go ahead and use the larger bag if tight crisper quarters are not a problem.
I'm a guessin' that one could put several hundred cuts/ small branches into a one or even a two gallon ziplock bag assuming ones crisper section of the fridge was large enough.
As far as trimming before hand that can all be done at the later date when creating your actual ready to root it now cutting.
One can pull just one out of stasis or them all, it's up to you.
I've seen crisp and perky cuts held for over ten weeks this way before.
This technique can really help simplify the premeditation involved in the art and science of rooting premium quality cuttings on demand.

HempAlchemist,
I'm liking your rockwell and tupperware technique, It sure sounds like pretty darn simple solution to an age old timing problem.
An eight and ten weeks cuts on hold technique always has its place in the universe, at least in mine sometimes. : )

Happy Gardening Y'all,
IMB :)

jgrow

Im going to be taking 10 or so cuttings tomorrow that will go in the fridge for the next 3-4 weeks. Ill be taking off plants two weeks into flower. I'm really hoping this works for me.

one think i forgot to mention on my last post is that when i burp the tubs, i also wipe dry the inside. condensation is bad and will cause the cuts to get infections and very slowly rot. this is more of a problem the longer the cuts are kept in stasis, but prevention is easier then curing. remember the fridge only slows the growth of microbes, it doesnt kill them. so if you bring an infected cut out of stasis, the infection will bloom and can cause massive damage quickly.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Micro-perf bags.....

Micro-perf bags.....

Ziplock makes bags that have micro perforations, these work very well.
I ALWAYS spritz the inside and the cuts with a little bit of water. have had cuts last~ month this way.
Even had a few freeze to the back of the fridge,and other than the frozen part, were OK.

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
yes they work gr8t........
also the newer corn starch derived bags acctually breath....to help keep produce from die~ing so quickly in the crisper draw......I.E the "greenie baggies"......

well they work just as good to keep clones.....
I like to take cuts.....lay the stem part on a slightly damp clean paper towel folded in half...over the stems......
few sprays on the inside of the bag w/ H202........
and zip them closed......
place in empty crisper drawer in bottom of fridge and walla......I've had em last 60 dayz or more.............
and then root in under 7 with proper technique.........once needed...........

jd4083

Veteran
Anybody else experienced easier, faster rooting after leaving clones in stasis for 8 to 10 weeks? (no more, no less, IME...I seem to remember an OGer back in the day commenting on this same thing...curious if anyone else has noticed it as well)