What's new

History of the Northern Lights

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
Is any one currently growing 'any' Northern Lights? I want to give Dr.Atomic's a go and have seen some good threads of his gear but not the typical NL, just his version.

Chomas

I just copped these off the bay:
Northern Lights:

Breeder: Ministry of Cannabis

Description:
Northern Lights is a pure indica and is one of the most strong and famous cannabis strains. Created at the end of the '80, NL is a little plant with wide-fingered indica leaves. The taste is pungent with a sweet after taste. As a typical indica the effect is strong, producing a high level of relax for the body and the mind. This strain is very uniform and it performs well in both soil and hydro.
Flower Time: 8 weeks
Seeds 10
Environment: Indoor/Outdoor

Is it the real deal???

G

The Original NL 5 cut.

TSB1990page281.jpg

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
Being in Cali I would think that there would be an enormous amount of clones floating around with some claim to being one of the potent NL's but I rarely even hear people talk about it anymore. Its like that crazy uncle locked up in his room upstairs. Everybody knows he's there but no one wants to talk about him. I know the clubs hardly ever have any offerings as well in clone form.

ElGato

Veteran
more info on the northern lights
jorge cervantes said:
This strain was developed by " The Indian" on an island in the Northwest. He started with 11 seeds and named them NL#1, NL#2 and so on. Of the plants, Nl#5, NL#8 and NL#1 were the best, in that order. Neville of the Seed Bank shuttled clones back to Amsterdam from Seattle in the mid-80s. Today, Northern Lights #5 is the main variety that breeders use. It's often crossed with other varieties, such as Blueberry, Haze, Juicy Fruit and Jack Herer. Varieties are available from Sensi Seeds (who Registered the name), Canadian Professionals and Nirvana. At least 70 different varieties contain NL genetics. Northern Lights #5 is an absolute must if you grow indoors.

Genotype: Predominately Afghani Indica/Thai Sativa; very stable.
Taste: Strong, full-bodied, hashy.
Smell: Sweet, piney.
High: Body/cerebral stone can cause couch-lock.
Potency: 14 - 16% THC; very strong; great resin production.
Culture: Easy to grow; can be pushed with fertilizer.
Traits: High Flower-to-leaf ratio, compact buds, purple tinge to leaves as plant matures.
Yield: Very good; a favorite among Commercial growers.
Disease / Pest Resistance: Somewhat resistant to thrips and spider mites.
Indoors: 60 - 70 days.
Outdoors: Early October.
Ease to Manicure: Easy and fast.

shantibabba said:
Reeferman bought a bunch of old seed lines from us(Nevil ) some years back, I was in Swiss at the time then he came out with loads of things. So you must understand that the expression and phenotypes are related to his selection work.The origins of the NL we have been using to breed with are Afghan, worked on in American in the 80s and Holland...one of the plants that has lead to a multitude of hybrids. There is no Thai in our version it is pretty much a 100% indica plant finishes 45-55 days and is exceptionally resinous. I am and will be getting round to working it into alot more work in the future but for the time being we are pretty busy just keeping up with things,...hope that helps all the best Sb

mj

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
So, Reef's version is directly related to the version held by Shanti and Nevil back in the 80's. I'm sold. Just harvested a freebie pack of a NLxWW from GSA and like it. Now I want to try Reef's NL!

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nnguy.....you and me already been thru this one...lol....love ya man!!..

ElGatto
....thats the Quote Shanti wrote to me....I know and love this topic well...
yea Outlawd420....I'll take thatNL#5...looks proper man...thats what Im talkin about...

Best run down on NL history came from this great man here...IMO he has it nailed..

OK, I've kept quiet but here's how I remember the NL series:
NL#1 Afghan ibl
NL#2 Hindu Kush x Thai
NL#5 NL#1 x HP
NL#9 NL#1 x (White Widow x Durban)

Peace, Loran

Since reading Lorans view I've changed my view to what he felt NL#5 was...
NL#5 = NL#1 x HP

My Take on NL#5.....
Well this is one of those Topics that seems to be in question allot...IMO not really but after quite a few years Ive come to my own conclusions..But its based on all kinds of info and convo's with all sorts of great folks.
I am looking for Arguments about my notes...I've added about every aspect to the view I can provide..Let me know what your feeling is and what you may know on the History of the Classic Northern Lights variety..
Ok heres some notes I keep........but this info is out there for all..

"M39 by SSSC was Basic#5 x Sk#1...I believe BASIC#5 is NL#5 but SSSC wasn't allowed to say so..Basic#5 x Sk#1 is a SensiSeed strain now called Shive Skunk.. Mr Soul "..

Aurora Borialis - (bred in California by Soul-Brothers Grimm)
Northern Lights - (bred in Pacific NW - Medical Multiple Sclerosis strain)
it gets ugly right about here........2nd rel of NL under a diff Seed Co and called a "Pure Indica"..won CCup 88,89 and 90
Northern Lights(SensiSeeds) - (at this point Sensi Seeds owned one of these..the listed in SSSC) - they picked up and listed this strain in..get this..88,89 and 90 in the SSSC catalog..
NL#1 - (then DPassion steps in..and fucks it up even more claims Dev in Seattle (heh..pac NW..duh)- perfected in Holland...(yea right..) it to be a True Breeding Stable and of Afghani Origins..NL#135A was only avil for a short time in 87-88)
NL#2 - aka Oasis DP (then later they release this?...no#2 Oasis?..why)
NL#5 - ( I believe this did exist as Basic#5 and was orig the #135A later simplified to NL#5...amen.)
NL#9 - mixed hybrid of 3 strains from Sagarmatha..

Ok my Take.....
Northern Lights is a hybrid made in PacNWest in 86-87 and rel in 87-88 as stated..
It is IMHO NL is a Kush x Afghani to start with or vice versa..Then Later I feel a Thai was Added to maybe gain Flavor or add larger range of effect...But This is only My concept of what is and what should be..Now my main prob is I hardly ever see a NL type display any Thai at all as far as a pure Thai Sat dom skinny ass plant that grows in Asia in that fucked up climate..Thats why what I look for is only certain looking phenos that I think relate directly back to these orig NL's..
hows that for somethin to read....heheh...so ...what ya think gents?..and wheres ndnguy...He might wana drop a line cause we both have a shine for the real NL's that arnt to watered down..
__________________________________________________ _____
ok heres another view...same base but someone else saying how it went down..What gets me is how they say NL#5 is a NL#2 x SS NLights which was ..called Basic#5..eesh..I think at some point it was bx'd to itslef and the breeders didnt even realize they did it...heheh...wouldnt that be a trip..

posted October 22, 2000 07:04 PM :MisterIto
I got familiar with the Northern lights family back in the 1980's when Nevil's Seed Bank offered the whole lineup. The original Northern Lights family is quite diverse.

Northern Lights 1 was a single stalked, compact plant with a moderate Afghani smell. No one offers this classic version at this time. A strong plant and buzz.

Northern Lights 2 was a sturdy, pine tree shaped with a musty and piney odor. Dutch Passion (Oasis) and THSeeds (Closet Queen) currently offer versions.

Northern Lights 2 X 5 from The Seed Bank was very bushy and resinous with a strong juniper berry smell. A truly remarkable hybrid not offered by anyone.

Northern Lights 5 is a variety Nevil of The Seed Bank said was only available pure as a cutting. BCSC Northern Lights 5 is REALLY Northern Lights 2 X Sensi's Northern Lights, inbred and stabilized. It appeared BCSC was the first in selling in seed form. They are selling something quite different under the same name.

Northern Lights 9 X 5 "disappeared" when Nevil sold his genetics to Sensi Seeds. This is the only original Northern Lights 9 genetics source to my knowledge.

These are the original Northern Lights breeding lines from which today's versions arose. Sensi Seed Bank sells Northern Lights with no number attached. Having access to Nevil's original genetics, my guess is that they crossed an Northern Lights 1 male to their Northern Lights 5 mother and stabilized the results. Northern Lights Special is a hybrid from KC Brains in Holland of Sensi's Northern Lights crossed to a Haze female.

Northern Lights 9
was only sold in seed form as a hybrid to the Northern Lights 5 mother plant by Nevil at The Seed Bank during the late 1980's. Sagarmatha receives a lot of their strains delivered to them as a finished product from outside breeders. It is possible that someone produced these seeds. The known fact of a Northern Lights 9 male existing meant purebred seed should have been possible to produce, unless it was a male only strain. Trichome Technologies has Northern Lights 6, a member of the family I have never heard of.
------------------
Peace...MisterIto

-----------------------------------------------------

Now after 11 yrs with the supposed Reeferman NL#5 Pure I held a bro of mine bought from either BCSC or SSSC or the SeedBank..I said scrw it and asked the big dog.....his reply made my day needles to say...

Reeferman bought a bunch of old seed lines from us(Nevil ) some years back, I was in Swiss at the time then he came out with loads of things. So you must understand that the expression and phenotypes are related to his selection work.
The origins of the NL we have been using to breed with are Afghan, worked on in American in the 80s and Holland...one of the plants that has lead to a multitude of hybrids. There is no Thai in our version it is pretty much a 100% indica plant finishes 45-55 days and is exceptionally resinous. I am and will be getting round to working it into alot more work in the future but for the time being we are pretty busy just keeping up with things,...hope that helps all the best Sb

All the Best,
Shantibaba

Well I hope you enjoy the work I put into this and welcome any input...
Im running some older stock to re-Work what I feel is some real NL5 from back in the day..Melt your brain goodness...Im using NL#5 older stock from BCSC now to compare but it seems very similar but the version I keep I feel has acclimatized a bit and grows a bit more petite after 10+ yrs..Smells n all are almost identical..I have high hopes..
FOE20

Last edited:
Z

zoolander

I have 5 Reeferman N/L going. I popped 5 seeds and got 5 females and cloned my favorite 3 . The Reef seeds are N/L #1 x N/L #5 . I'm thinkin of dropin some cuts off at a few clubs but I'm not sure if I wanna be in that scene again :wave:

Grizz

Veteran
Zoo since you have grown her out does yours show the strong indica background? judging by your pics yours looks to lean towards the sativa side.

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey Zoolander...yea I saw yor thread man...and def lookis like a Reef NL#5 but you have the "NL" which is the NL#1 x NL#5 hybrid..but the phenos you showed is very #5 lookin to me...but Im just a canna lover...
FOE20

Z

zoolander

I have 2 that look more indica and 3 that show more sativa . I'll get them out in the next week for some pix in flower for you all. I just grow them out and see what we get but have clones so what ever is best is what we will keep. Oh and I still have like 12 seeds I think

Last edited:

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok everyone...and Zoolander man...here ya go....
Ive kept this older bcsc NL#5 said on the pk Reefermans (pure) and its as solid as I have got to the old NL#5 pine I smoked growing up...
Now the other which is labeled in the pics as "NL#5bcsc" is a newer version and it looks quite different and Id ef say it had some Thai or a grip more something...

First set of pics way all the way to the last 2 are the Older NL#5 cut from a mother in 99-0r early 2k and said Reeferman (pure)
Last 2 are BCSC NL#5 and gifted from motarebels to help with the project..
I have 2-4 more stock runs of other NL's to see whats what....So far Im happt with where its gone to and going atm....Keep the Lights a Blazin!!
FOE20

Z

zoolander

I'll tell you what Foe20 if any of mine come out lookin like yours I will be a happy man my friend and those are some bomb pix thanx for postin those :headbange

THoC

Anyone have any clues in how Dr Atomics NL fits in to the scheme of things here? Nice thread.

cheers

monkey5

Veteran
foe20, and zoo, everyone ...some very nice pictures !!!! great history lesson !!! thank you !!!! monkey5

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
THoC Ive heard DrA's is a actual #5 x'd with something byut its top notch..Have a full pk here and will be running myself soon..Only heard or read good things on DrA..

danke gentz..I just go by what I smke really so its not that its set in stone its just what I went for and I know the other versions if the old genetics are in there are just as strong if not some more n less....
This is my Best MED strain guys...I have 5 MED folks I support and this NL has litterally saved the life of one for sure..He has Graves disease and its a diff form or somewhat of Aids..So it attacks immune/everywhere and at any time...His life 5+ yrs ago was not looking good..Atm he has a new son...a new job..zest for life and has recovered thru major tramas..Its that good...were talking bone loss, cerebral leakage not from trama, muscle and bone decay...serious shit ...ok enough on that I ont wana bum ppl out...heh

Now on defining these..The Big difference is Trich production and Size...
The old NL#5 has some of the Largest in Size of Trichomes Ive ever seen..They really stand out and I didnt get the same result in the newer ver of the BCSC..The old ver to me is very Pine Hash....This bew ver is much Sweeter in bloom and ends up mild sweet but a commercial dankness...blah..Were still running and testing the pk of new bcscNL5 so its a early judgment..Lots more to come on this as far as where I wana take her..
I gave the cut out so its on the west coast..Hope it stands up to all Ive said on her...I cant praise it enough..But I do love other Indicas like LUI and the likes..But I prefer mostly Sativas and BBerry types so these MED strains are mostly for my MED froends..or for me to sleep and space out..heheh..glad folks have dug the info..Its free like the weed should be...
FOE20

Latest posts

Latest posts