What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

High P is a scam!?!?

Mr.Mist

How bout high p during first 2 weeks of flower?
I think it's defendable to raise the levels of P during rooting(after roots start to show), and the first 1-2 weeks of flower..
But I think you should do so in a very light manner..
If you run 25 ppms of P you can bump it up to like 35-45 ppms the first two weeks of flowering.
But there's aboslutely no reason to bump it up to 60+ ppms if you ask me..

Dkgrower

Veteran
Its a pretty complex question. but in general i think pepol add to much, why because they can and its human nature to think if you add more you will get more...

Shits more complicated than so...

the type of Nitrogen or ratio of N-types found in your bloom formulation will
have an effect on the uptake of P

P are more difficult to uptake in soil and coco...

In general i find that if you use a PK booster from the start of flower to the start of flush u will have a more streach duing the whole periond of flowering.

I go by 40 in growth and keep that untill buds have formed and streach have slowed down then i up the P to 70-80PPM for 1 week, like canna does.

A

acridlab

I like how the owner of dyna gro admits hes just taking advantage of the growing community just as much as the other guys,. And people still back up that company and point fingers at advanced and other scams.. Theyre all in it for the money.. When it comes to the high p myth..i think every single strain likes a different diet.. Try it on 'your' grow and see what happens for yourself.. Instead of taking other growers 'word' for fact..

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
interesting convo.

for a bit of the organic soil perspective, i ran supersoil based mixes for a few years which emphasizes high p using bone meal and guano.

when i moved to a mineralized mix (aka a coot's mix) i only saw an improvement of growth, health, and quality. no phosphorus concentrated amendments included.

anecdotal of course, but fwiw.

Mr.Mist

P are more difficult to uptake in soil and coco...
True! Soil can benefit from a little bit higher levels of P, than hydro.
But excess P, in soil, can have bigger consequences, than in hydro.
So my advice is to start low and slowly bump it up, without changing K.

When doing scientific research, there can only be one variable.
So, if P is the variable, all other factors has to be replicated from the control grow to the test grow.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
Just because you're "killing it" with high P, it doesn't mean high P is the reason for it.
There's also a lot of people growing crap and burning their plants, who have high P in their reservoir, it doesn't mean high P is the reason for it, right?
If you sort out all the claims by fertilizer companies, the prevalent "information" is rarely conflicting..

how do you know it isn't? plus people burn their plants because they cant fucking grow. they would do that with any bottled nute company. that's nothing to do with high p.

S

sourpuss

interesting convo.

for a bit of the organic soil perspective, i ran supersoil based mixes for a few years which emphasizes high p using bone meal and guano.

when i moved to a mineralized mix (aka a coot's mix) i only saw an improvement of growth, health, and quality. no phosphorus concentrated amendments included.

anecdotal of course, but fwiw.

Good insight... gonna check out this coots mix... chem guy tho....

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
OP, et al....

It depends on your definition of "high"

I used to believe that cannabis did not benefit from adding a bloom booster (high P) during flower.

I started using Hydroponic-Research V + B (Veg + Bloom) which is a one part dry formula

I got really good results compared to when I was using the complete line of Dutch Master Gold product line

After ~ 2 years HR came out with +Size, a flowering amendment, but I resisted, thinking snake oil

I am now in my second harvest using +Size after being given a weekly regimen from a fellow grower for how much to add

I am now flushing a revg but now more careful about how much to use and when.

The reveg is much fuller, has considerably more trichs and calyxes using a max of 300ppm, 7-10 days prior to flush

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Higher ratio P is needed for fruit/bud formation. If organic soil is balanced, no need. You can increase yield, but most commercial interests touting High P products exaggerate.

Mr.Mist

I used to believe that cannabis did not benefit from adding a bloom booster (high P) during flower.

Remember that bloom boosters with high P isn't just P, but also K and often a bunch of other stuff like kelp, vitamins and organic acids.
When you get better results using a bloom booster, it isn't necessarily due to increased levels of P.

Even if you test with pure phosphoric acid and detect any changes it may be due to increased salinity, rather than increased uptake of P.

Higher ratio P is needed for fruit/bud formation.
I believe that is an exaggeration.
P is needed by plants in the same low amounts all the way through it's life.
However increased levels of P can be beneficial at specific stages of the plant's life cycle.

What I'm proposing is that, it doesn't matter whether you increase the abundance of P from 30 ppm to 50 ppm or from 30 ppm to 300 ppm, except for increased salinity.