What's new

High Latitude AutoFlower Ferilization Experiment

DaDornta

Greetings!

I wanted to ask and discuss with those that know much more than myself what would be involved in creating a ferral (naturally growing/reproducing) strain in my high northern climate?

I've looked at Early Girl, as well as Top44...but these just don't seem to be "quick" enough given the uber short growing season. Here are some outdoor details:

Latitude: 62 degrees N
Growable season: Late May to mid-September

Think for a second dudes, that very short grow-time is litterally 24-7 sun...pst.."land of the midnight sun...dun dun da...!!!!"

I think original "Lowryder" by the JD would be an excellent choice to start with and work with over the next few summers. Acclimating to the soil acidity/PH (as well as local mites and pests) will take quite a few generations...BUT...If im sucessfull, I could have a strain that I could grow outdoors in one of the most Northern Climates yet!

Dr. Chronic is all out of JD's seeds...He's the only vendor i've gone through in the past w/out any problems. Anyone have any sugestions of strain variation or potential vendors to "check out"?

I'd like to keep this thread going after I get some seeds (about time to get em' started indoors under a HPS in cubes for outdoor transplant soon!) along w/a grow log about my trials and tribulations...

I know there used to be quite a substantial LR community, but it's been months since i've been to their boards (can't even find them anymore!)...

Anyway, any and all advice is welcome! :joint:

Last edited:

DaDornta

My idea is to eventually in 10-15 years of selective breeding out in the "wilds" to be able to have a strain that'll grow WELL under the short but intense growing season. An autoflowering ruderalis hybrid seems ideal...The natural glacial sediment locally lends itself to RICH nutrient deposits, as well as the literal lack of "spider mites" or other pests.

If I were to purchase a large enough plot of remote land, I could potentially grow totally natural, organic bud for myself--as well as furthering the spread/reach of the native habitat for the cannibis plant...

Who KNOWS what kind of impact this would have to the local eco-system? I mean, think about it...an arctic fox eats some buds and gets high and has sex with twice his normal mates...

Yeah, im treading into untested waters here...I want input of anykind...

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I live at 65 degrees north :wave:

Thule, a ruderalis hybrid ready to be planted outdoors already. Lowryders mold too easily for northern climate.

DaDornta

Is this a hybrid strain you yourself have made? (guessing since it's named after your screen name?)

Does anyone else have any other sugestions on good base strains to start my multi-grow season project with?

Also, can anyone recomend anyone as far as honest vendors other than DrChronic? Seedbay...meethinks? :chin:

fjällhöga

HazeAddictedFanatic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
seedbay & seedboutique are top :)

IMHO you should start indoor with a Ruderal cross and an early finishing indica , make a hybrid and plant many many beans out there ... , there should be offspring which starts immediately to flower after 4-6 weeks veg ... , those are the ones to dust with all autoflowering males ... , so you have a selection of all autoflowering genes available in this batch

Fj

Rgd

Veteran
Drgreenthumb has a strain that will work well for you at your latitude, finish mid August, is actually very potent, not mould prone,but it is sold out.
Sorry ,Lowryder sux.

DaDornta

Rgd said:
Drgreenthumb has a strain that will work well for you at your latitude, finish mid August, is actually very potent, not mould prone,but it is sold out.
Sorry ,Lowryder sux.

It looks like the strain is called, "Sweet 105"

To bad it's all sold out ...
:badday:

I hope to get somthing started here in the next few weeks, looks like all the lowryder and ruderalis seeds from vendors are pretty much depleted. Seems like everyone had my same idea!
:pointlaug

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
DaDornta said:
Is this a hybrid strain you yourself have made? (guessing since it's named after your screen name?)

Does anyone else have any other sugestions on good base strains to start my multi-grow season project with?

Also, can anyone recomend anyone as far as honest vendors other than DrChronic? Seedbay...meethinks? :chin:

It is :) I would hesitate using mostly indica genetics due to their mold issues. But I don't know what your climate is like though..

You will get good results faster by crossing the autoflower plants to early finishers like Early Pearl. That's what I used to create Thule. After 2 generations I had 100% autoflower.

fjällhöga

HazeAddictedFanatic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Go with Sag´s Stuporsonic ... , its a swedish outdoor strain ... , it will work just about everywhere ;)

Fj

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Stupo could be a good choice. I've crossed it to lowryder#2 and next summer will let me know how it turns out. Så spännande! :lurk: However bad (not early) phenotypes are common in stuporsonic since it's not stabilized.

G

I'm working on stabilising a Purple Skunk x Mighty Mite cross, all of the F1s were Af, some after 30 days, others took a few weeks longer to AF. I selected a male and female that both AFed after 30 days to make the F2s and I have 40 of those about to go outside (I'm at 54N in the mountains so equivalent of almost 60N). I have found that Dark Kush by Bluehemp finished by late August here, no AF just very fast flowering, indoors they are 40-45 days but don;t perform so wel as ouitdoors.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Cuffs said:
Hi Thu

I´m very curious your af-strain.

I live in same climate (64N)

How is your growing goes?

C

Hi there! I wasn't able to germinate my seeds before june due to bad housing situation. Now the plants are about 2 weeks old and they should start showing their sex any day now. I can post some pictures of 'em later.

I was really impressed with the strain in spring time. I had one plant that survived temperatures down to -15c!!! I planted her out the last week of march. Unfortunately she or he was culled by someone just two weeks ago.

Cuffs

Hi British Hempire

How are you doing?
Your cross sounds very nice.
Do you have any picture?

How is flowering time?

Thule

Nice to hear you.
Thule sounds nice, almost perfect in my area.

Is seeds possible order someday?

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
I'd try and avoid using ruderalis genetics if you can and use early strains instead .Biddy early is very early,i grew aload out last year,started them in april and thay started flowering late june and finished by sept.
Early pearl could be another good strain to work with.

pumpkin2006

marijuanamat said:
I'd try and avoid using ruderalis genetics if you can and use early strains instead .Biddy early is very early,i grew aload out last year,started them in april and thay started flowering late june and finished by sept.
Early pearl could be another good strain to work with.

He gets 24 hrs of light, he has to use a ruderalis x cross

Goyakla

Get hold of some Dk seeds (56) theyll start to bloom in end july/primo aug.
Try Lebanes 27, Purpel Peace, Afgh/Heaven, Leb27/H.Kush etc.
Or try Bluehemp.. Their D.Kush is early.
Peace :rasta:

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
pumpkin2006 said:
He gets 24 hrs of light, he has to use a ruderalis x cross

Some Biddy early plants flower under 18 hours of light or after 2 months growth so thay should be ok further up north .