What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

High CBD strain Lists and Descriptions

I was wondering, if you examine a bud from a thc/cbd plant under a microscope, would it look different from a only thc plant??

Or do the trichomes all look alike no matter what active ingredients they contain?

You won't be able to tell them apart visually. There are a few simple qualitative tests you can do though that involves some basic chemistry. Google for Beam's reaction or Beam's test for CBD and the Duquenois test for THC. These are qualitative, but with careful measuring af a few different dilutions and a reference sample you could get a ballpark quantitative result.

There's also some misinformation just posted here about CBG. CBG is the biologic precursor to both CBD and THC. The plant produces CBG and then another plant enzyme acts on the CBG to make either CBD or THC. That's why on any given grow, the sum of the two always adds up to about the same total percent Cannabinoids.. It all starts as the same stuff. Only the genetics of the plant will determine which cannabinoid will get produced (by the enzymes it makes) and in what ratios.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Unicorniclops,
Who posted the wrong info on CBG? I missed it.

"The sum of the two always adds up to about the same total of Cannabinoids"? What about CBC varieties, THCV varieties? CBGV varieties, CBDV, CBCV, much less the other some 85 Cannabinoids. When you say on any given grow do you mean from seed or just one clone?
-SamS

I read above about CBG plants not being able to produce THC?

I'm not sure the source of every cannabinoid either, whether they have different precursors or all starts as CBG. There are scientific papers on what I've mentioned though. I believe they've even pinpointed the enzymes and the genes that are responsible. Can't site a source, unfortunately. It's all from memory.

KiefSweat

Veteran
i have plants that produce high levels of cbg (5%) along with cbd (10-15%) when you chop them early but that all gets converted to cbd and about .5% thc by an 11 week harvest. I assume if i tested and grew more seeds of that lot I would find the double recessive plants that are pure cbg. Also the indication of cbg means in that hybrids to pure thc males your going to see high thc offspring and you get more like an f2 variation chemically on paper

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I read above about CBG plants not being able to produce THC?

Not from me and I did not see it. It is not true.

I'm not sure the source of every cannabinoid either, whether they have different precursors or all starts as CBG.

The propyl Cannabinoids start as CBGV the same synthases turn the CBG or CBGV into THC, or THCV, CBC, or CBCV, CBD, or CBDV, etc.

http://www.fundacion-canna.es/en/cannabinoids

http://www.gwpharm.com/cultivation.aspx

There are scientific papers on what I've mentioned though. I believe they've even pinpointed the enzymes and the genes that are responsible. Can't site a source, unfortunately. It's all from memory.

Here you go, http://www.fundacion-canna.es/en/cannabinoids http://www.gwpharm.com/cultivation.aspx I was part of the team the discovered the inheritance of Cannabinoids, but maybe we can find newer information to clarify a few outstanding questions?
-SamS

Last edited:
Those are some nice looking photos chunkypig. When I Google high cbd strains it seems Michigan comes up a lot for the clones in that area. I read about the Perkins cannatonic and think that would be good for my mom. I have been buying cbd tablets from a dispensary and would like to just grow my own high cbd strain myself.

ECtraveler

Veteran
Congratulation to Huel Perkins! Mota Rebel won best CBD flower with Perkin's Cut of Cannatonic at the HTCC this past weekend. Much respect!

ECtraveler

Veteran
Got the first 10 OG-X sexed, topped & tested (4 1/2 weeks from germination)
picture.php

KiefSweat

Veteran
have you noticed the males testing stronger in veg? something i've always seem to have seen, some of the the cbd rich hybrids we've been testing the males seem to be 2-3x stronger testing sometimes 3-5% total in veg with the females being around 1% total.

ECtraveler

Veteran
I've yet to test a male super late in veg but yeah. My males do tend to all be the strongest in the test batch, something by a lot.

I actually should of noted that the male was taken almost a week earlier. #2, #3 & #4 are also super strong males that I didn't get tested yet because my testing budget is limited and there's a few more females to go through first.

KiefSweat

Veteran
yea i've been using it as an indicator with some of the testing we have been doing, seems to be holding true so far with the strongest plants out of every batch end up being male.

Anyone heard anything about ütest cbd detection kits? It says it detects cbd percentage and I can get three tests for $45 and I have 6 cbd Rene I will need testing done on.

Cbd Rene is what I decided to go with as I know it is a good healer from personal experience.

Anyone heard anything about ütest cbd detection kits? It says it detects cbd percentage and I can get three tests for $45 and I have 6 cbd Rene I will need testing done on.

Cbd Rene is what I decided to go with as I know it is a good healer from personal experience.

I can't find any info on the utest except for their press release.

Thats funny you mention cbd rené, I just watched the bubbleman video where he visits the house of the great gardener and talks about cbd breeding with rené, warlock, sweet skunk etc... All are crossed with a high cbd reversed cannatonic.

I want to try his Barbara bud hash (shiskaberry/afghani). :dance013:

good video series... especially when they are making 99% pure drysift...
https://youtu.be/xKaQE2iVR0k?t=14m35s

I just updated the CBD list with House of the Great Gardener

-pH

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran

i haven't heard of those but i heard the guy from cbscientific talk about his field tests on the adam dunn show. i think they're a similar price.

i'm probably gonna order some in a couple months to help hunt through a bunch of cbd gear.

KiefSweat

Veteran
utest ripped off the other kits.
Chimera posted some stuff a while back about a color test you can make your own pretty easily.

Latest posts

Latest posts