What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hick in the sticks: a continuous tale of seed pop'n, pollen chuck'n,& bud grow'n!

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
The problem with 400s is that they have a really small footprint (roughly 2' x 3' for optimum lighting) and not a lot of penetration. So, even with 3 of them you get an area around 3' x 6' and some areas are going to be far darker than others. Not a problem if your leaving some shuffle room.
2 600s would give you the same wattage with deeper penetration and a combined footprint of around 4' x 6' (side by side). Or 8' x 3' (end to end) leaving an aisle against 1 wall to move around.
You could do 2 1000s but if you have to downsize itll be by 1/2.
If it were me and $ wasn't a problem Id go with 2 600s and a 400 in between or 3 600s - side by... You could also put a mh in the middle for increased spectrum.

Just some ideas.

Former Guest

The 400 would give him better light penetration than 400 of CFLs. His buds would have more sparkle and with HID lights you get UV wavelengths. 400 watt ballasts are SPENDY so a 600 would be the same price. Magnetics of course. I thought a 400 would light a 3x3 area 1.5 ft above canopy. 2 600's would give you awesome coverage and wouldn't be too hot like a 1000. If I could do it all over again, I would go 1000 in veg so I had ample space for different heights. My tallest plants were 1.5 ft away from the bulb and the bulb is about three ft from the ground. 2000 watts in my tent is super hot. I am considering moving my 400 into the bloom and trading the 1000 to put in the veg instead. The 400 can just have a smaller floor plan. Better than being too hot! Tons of considerations as I thought thus was my toughest decision. One last thought, Could he buy a splitter to run a 600 & a 400 on a 1000 ballast? I know people use 2-600w bulbs in a 1000 ballast but it will only generate 1000 still so it would be 500 each. Save you some cash on a ballast and electric operating one instead of two.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
400/9 sqft = 44.4 watts per sqft. 400/6 sqft = 66.6, which is right in the sweet spot. Maybe with those umbrella reflectors there would be a 3 x 3 area, but Im not seeing that with my typical horizontally hung bulb. I wish I could afford to run 600 in my 13 sqft.

Even at 3 x 3, 3 of those footprints with minimal overlap would fill the space quite nicely.

No more votes already?

Former Guest

Well I think hicks buds are great :) better than mine which only goes to show that you just can't throw light at it and expect it to be awesome.

hicksticky

Still at large...
Thanks all alot to chew on, but I better get to swallowing lol.

@LLB mines no better, just different.............. but your right its not enough to just slap some light on em.

My original thought was to buy the 400-600 convertible fixtures, there about the same amount when buying used. 3 of them
so many layouts swarming around my mind, you know you go to seek one thing and wined up looking at two more lol.

my room is layout that you walk in looking at a long room (not wide), if that makes sense............ the far wall is 5' wide so I wanted to start there.....1 way, making a "stadium" set up 3 "benches" that might condense 4' down to 3'. with medium size plants.open bulb? maybe? or parabolic angled?

Now I need walking and watering room..... so about a 1 1/2' gets lost. weather that be on the side, middle, or zig zagged.
maybe two 3x4 sog's? or 1 sog and 1 scrog or have large plants on the sides

so keep it coming, nothings set in stone only wood and nails lol
Gettin inspired!!:tiphat:

Former Guest

People come into the hydro stores constantly with electric ballasts that have overheated and are broken but I have yet to see one with a mag ballast. Twice a month I'm in there hanging out with an employee and I swear one will come in complaining on why the warranty is taking so long to replace. They sell the part to replace the magnetics in the stores. That's just what I hear!

HillBilly1

Veteran
That's all I have are magnetics been runnin
For a couple 3 years and never had any trouble
Old and working don't buy new to try and fix

hicksticky

Still at large...
its not beyond me to buy up some hi-bays 400s and re-purpose them for my needs. 35 a pop makes ya think haha
pair of 400 w/hoods buck and ahalf
6's are a hundred and up

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Considering the space you need for moving around, 2 lights. Youll have an aisle down the long wall and 1 between the 2 lights. Youll never have to stretch too far. I think with 400s, you can make 2 tight 3-sided stadiums.

Posts votes are not working right for me, so +'s for all of you. I don't disagree with anything posted on this topic.

Former Guest

I would think making sure you have adequate space to work in will be important because a few months down the road when you're trying to squeeze back there to find a plant hiding something you couldn't see. that is how I found the broad mites. hidden in a plant back in the corner where it was hard to go so I didn't very often. back pain as well. even my tent is hard to water all the plants in there at certain spots. I really wish I could walk all the way around it but one side is up against a wall.

hicksticky

Still at large...
I would think making sure you have adequate space to work in will be important because a few months down the road when you're trying to squeeze back there to find a plant hiding something you couldn't see. that is how I found the broad mites. hidden in a plant back in the corner where it was hard to go so I didn't very often. back pain as well. even my tent is hard to water all the plants in there at certain spots. I really wish I could walk all the way around it but one side is up against a wall.

Your 110% right, as I get going I will have the space. but as I fill and tweek it will get tight.
but yes I want access to all the plants so that those unexpected surprises dont sneak up on me as fast......

this weekend the mission is to get this room up and running, sub floor installed, new intake/exhaust vent (6"), new reflective material, and light(s). pretty much starting anew...lol.(it was a veggie start/prep area) I wont need all the lights in the start but will need as I fill the room.

in the back of my mind I am building it so that if/when I need to I can take down a side wall and widen but right now just got to get it running and keep it that way

hicksticky

Still at large...
Considering the space you need for moving around, 2 lights. Youll have an aisle down the long wall and 1 between the 2 lights. Youll never have to stretch too far. I think with 400s, you can make 2 tight 3-sided stadiums.

Posts votes are not working right for me, so +'s for all of you. I don't disagree with anything posted on this topic.

:chin:me thinkith you be onto something.... lol

For me and the way I am, I think a little of a couple grow styles will fit me and the space, stadium/vert, scrog/sog, freestyle ect..
been thinking with the space that small reflectors will be good, kind of open bulb concept that way the light is used everywhere, but I do see the need to direct it............ just spit balling lol

I am sure on the fact that it'll all turn out great, especially with all the brainstorming happening :biggrin:

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran

Definitely. The plantry is roughly 4 x 8 but 1/2 is for workspace and the circ fan and all the shelving I had to take down. Id like more ceiling height but my plants are on a 20"ish high platform and that's perfect for eye level buds and minimal bending.

Former Guest

oh i see what you were trying to describe with the two different areas and the aisle forming a T. how often do you want to harvest and how much? that is what i used to determine what i wanted.

hicksticky

Still at large...
oh i see what you were trying to describe with the two different areas and the aisle forming a T. how often do you want to harvest and how much? that is what i used to determine what i wanted.

I'd like to harvest every two weeks, 4-6 plants. at the same time adding in.
I'm realistic I know it will take some time to get to this point, not to mention what stains I will be running so the first couple of months will be more for hunting and tuning at leased thats what I plan on :biggrin: and I'm more for quality more than quantity....:dance013:

hicksticky

Still at large...
heres a pic of the soon to be mother plants I am going to be taking clones from
Khalisi's and bs kush's
IMG_20141129_192440_419_zpsa6a19997.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

mmmmmm blueberrys lol.

Damn Hick,
It cool if i garb a chair and sit along for this awesome ride, I too am just starting my hand at some breeding and keeping standouts. So much fun but a lot of work to do correctly, looks like your rockin it keep it up.:dance013: