What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hi all wanted some advice from the old timers please

The bake

Hi all , I came across your website and thought it was a great place to ask a few questions. I currently I’m running a small room with maxiCan fans with a presh filter attached in the roof space. charcoal filter particles entering into my room and into my roofSpace, “ hard-core “ I thought originally it was the charcoal filter that blew up so I bought a new one. However now the second filter installed is doing the same thing again. What is my problem? Where am I going wrong please can someone give me a hand and give me some advice.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Hi all , I came across your website and thought it was a great place to ask a few questions. I currently I’m running a small room with maxiCan fans with a presh filter attached in the roof space. charcoal filter particles entering into my room and into my roofSpace, “ hard-core “ I thought originally it was the charcoal filter that blew up so I bought a new one. However now the second filter installed is doing the same thing again. What is my problem? Where am I going wrong please can someone give me a hand and give me some advice.
Turn it around and blow the particles the other way.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
It happens and will do so until the dust is blown out. Carbon filters, like any other filter that uses activated charcoal, coffee pot water filters for example, do have dust in them and will blow out until it’s gone. I use the large Can Filters and have never had this type of dust problem.

The bake

It happens and will do so until the dust is blown out. Carbon filters, like any other filter that uses activated charcoal, coffee pot water filters for example, do have dust in them and will blow out until it’s gone. I use the large Can Filters and have never had this type of dust problem.
I am using the large (400m maxiCanFans yellow ) on both inlet and outlet and yes the large phresh filter

farmerfischer

Turn it around …? Turn the filter around is that what you mean or the fan ? That doesn’t make sence to me as the charcoal filter can only be used one way?
I'm not sure here, but I think he means you PULL the air you want exhausted through the filter , instead of PUSHing the air through the filter...

I think...?

Ca++

They are packed by vibrating them. Some carbon dust is always likely, and it can be worth running a vacuum cleaner over them, if that dust will blow where you don't want it.

I'm a bit puzzled by it blowing into the loft, then getting back around into your room. This suggests you are recirculating the same air, not exhausting it. Which in turn, suggests you might not have ample negative pressure

The bake

They are packed by vibrating them. Some carbon dust is always likely, and it can be worth running a vacuum cleaner over them, if that dust will blow where you don't want it.

I'm a bit puzzled by it blowing into the loft, then getting back around into your room. This suggests you are recirculating the same air, not exhausting it. Which in turn, suggests you might not have ample negative pressure
Thankyou this has been the best answer yet.

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
I’m curious if you use a sock on the outside of your carbon filter. I suck through my filter and exhaust out in the attic, and I have a sleeve around the filter that the dirt clogs up before it ruins the filter as one of our members said, you’ll always get charcoal out of a carbon filter when you first fire it up, but it sounds like you’ve got a lot more problems than that.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Before I use a new filter I put it outside with a big fan on max speed for like 10 minutes, first blowing air through it in one direction, the pulling air through it in the normal way they are used. The first 20 seconds usually result in a plume of carbon dust, so I try to not be around it when it happens and if I do I hold my breath.

Latest posts

Latest posts