What's new

Hey Mars

Ca++

I know you like stuff like this.

This is a typical rope ratchet
iu

It's cleverly designed, to annoy you enough, to take the scissors to it. The open jaws, presenting a spear like barb, that ensure the rope is not coming out. They work particularly well when your kit hangs in the middle, so you only have one hand to upclip from the rope. Try as you might to pinch the bar in and twist the thing about, it's not letting the rope out. Not until you can lean in with both hands, using a mate to hold your belt so you don't fall in. Or, better still, pull the tent over.

This next design is very poor
Gourd-Buckle-Keychain-Climbing-Hook-Car-Keychain-Simple-Strong-Carabiner-Shape-Keychain-Accessories-Metal-Vintage-Key.jpg_220x220xz.jpg_.webp

Notice the simple slash cut opening. Anyone deciding to take the rope out could do so easily. While the first design needs two hands and careful planning, this design allows the rope out with a mere pinch. You could do it on tippy toes. Like some ballet act. It's just not the same.

I should note for viewers in some territories, that us Brits can be sarcastic

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
First one will suport as much weigh as its needed to break the metal latch, second one will suport just as much as is needed to bend it. If made from though metal, it could work, but first ones have much better weight ratings if same metal used.
Instead, better design for a rounded "barb" that doesn't catch the rope could be done.

Ca++

I see. This manufacturing costing had not crossed my mind. I tend to only hang lights with them, which barely straightens the rope, so the ratchet is really doing nothing. Plastic one's would be enough. Perhaps even a good idea. So nobody was daft enough to hoist up a carbon with one.

I buy the bigger one's but will use the small provided one's if they are free. The bigger one's are so much smoother in operation. Still just on lights though. I'm interested in smooth sailing, and would take the larger size rope with a weaker but better functioning ratchet quite happily.

I don't have to take one down often, but it's so painful, I'm looking to replace them. I should really look if I can just file what I have, but they are packed somewhere.

We can buy them that are just a hook. That doesn't really suit how I use them though. I do like that they close. I just don't need the mechanical interlock, and it's cost to ease of operation is far too high for me

Ca++

These are getting closer. No interlock to catch the rope, but they still slotted the bar. Which will catch, and just seems needless. I will keep hunting a slash cut
Haeb04a400d604a66b3e4391fd4deb71c8.jpg

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Yeah, you could upgrade to those or even better ones easily. But for a light producer those tens of cents extra is something they want to save costs on, most times.
I think the design that is being used is chosen so because they needed them small enaugh to fit the plastic yoyos, but sturdy enaugh that they won't break under a various weight and usage regimen.

Ca++

If you look at the last one, it might go around a 20mm tent pole, but the bar only clears the bottom of the hook by 10mm. I think we should be having them made that are actually for the job. Clips slightly deeper so they can go direct to a tent pole, and slash cut for ease of use. Plastic (or nylon) so they are obviously just for lights. I would be loads happier.

Don't get me started on yoyo's :)

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The ratchet ropes are only good when the light is low and the ratchets are easy to reach.

A way to raise and lower the light without having to adjust each corner ratchet would be nice. In a 8’ tall tent full of plants, the rear ratchets are impossible to reach.

Call it a ‘Flylowgethigh’ if you want, but I get to test the prototype.

Ca++

The ratchet ropes are only good when the light is low and the ratchets are easy to reach.

A way to raise and lower the light without having to adjust each corner ratchet would be nice. In a 8’ tall tent full of plants, the rear ratchets are impossible to reach.

Call it a ‘Flylowgethigh’ if you want, but I get to test the prototype.
You need to pull on the loose end, so route the loose end to where you can. Perhaps take it up and over the top pole, using is as a pulley. Lengthen it if you need to.

I won't use 4 per light. Just two. Though headroom is a big factor. I'm regularly finding the ratchet takes up space, and bypassing it with (reusable) cable/zip ties.

Latest posts

Latest posts