What's new

Hermies please explain them to me!

pinkus

Veteran
Mac: variations in gravitational pull more likely the trigger for coral. Dig in those heals!

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
You're forgetting a minor detail. lol

Over the course of a 10 week flower cycle, the moon waxes and wanes a few times....the light is never consistent. Not unlike some guy who notices a pinhole in his room and patches it up after a few weeks.

Face it folks, genetics play the role of hermies...not pinhole light leaks.

At least some peoples theory of under watering is plausible...
The plant thinks it's going to die and herms to continue it's genes....

um...no the moon is out every night waxing or waning regardless. the light being on at night is a constant factor. if indoor plants are bred with pitch black night all the time then exposing them to varying levels of not pitch black night they will stress. let me be clear, i never said light leaks are directly responsible for hermies, i said it was stress. A light on during sleeping time is gonna stress the plants and the weak ones will hermie. and no one ever said genetics didn't play a role, if you cared to read the rest of the thread before you came in with your absolutes you would have seen the part where i and most of the people said weak genes is the leading cause of hermies.

stress is the number 2. light leaks are a stress. /the end.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
It sounds like your saying that by surviving spidermites a plant will have offspring that are more resistant to spidermites than they would have been if the parent had never encountered spidermites.

yeah that's exactly what i'm saying because that is true. do you know how the defenses in your own body work by any chance?

All this talk of moonlight... moon is not bright it is a reflection. It is less than a 6 watt bulb 25 ft away. Full moon on a clear night is 1.0 lux maximum. One lux is equal to ONE LUMEN per square metre or.......
1 lx = 1 lm/m2 = 1 cd·sr·m–2. Maybe most plants have a natural tolerance to this amount of light.

exactly what i said.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Would expect intersex as a survival trait in landrace types , if any true ones still exist.

The subjective problem with moonlight to us , is that the eye is relatively well adapted to monochrome night vision and it looks brighter than the instruments say.

Main triggers for coral are nitrate runoff from tropical seasonal weather , tiny changes in pH and temperature as well as moonlight.

There is no described mechanism for any plant to quantify variations in gravity , the difference is tiny between nearest and most distant lunar approach .

The idea that small light leaks cause hermies , was the general excuse for unstable genetics promoted by certain scumbag breeders when customers had legitimate complaints with their overhyped untested pollen tossings.

macdiesel

Keep ignoring the peer reviewed studies you guys and preach on your opinions.

I'd like to hear someone like Spurr touch on this...but the droves of morons here ran him off a long time ago. :(

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd like to hear someone like Spurr touch on this...

So would I , but I don't think he would consider linking coral , fish and terrestrial plants in this way.

He always provided references , peer reviewed studies and quotes that checked out.

well I have some serious catching up to do for sure, sorry!
I have to check it out but now I have to say that I had another potential cause for hermies and have to ask how likely it is. The lights came on when they are supposed to, but then a power outage that resulted in a very short day cycle turning into a bit longer night cycle when it was supposed to be light. The power was back on less than 2 hours later, will that short "night" cycle cause hermies? thanks

pinkus

Veteran
There is no described mechanism for any plant to quantify variations in gravity , the difference is tiny between nearest and most distant lunar approach .

mac know-it-all was just getting on my nerves. I'm better now lol.

Easy7

Veteran
Doubtful that humidity will cause hermies. Light leaks surely will, or some other sort of lighting malfunction. Flowering for too long will also cause hermies. It's doubtful that over flowering for a couple of weeks will form much seed.

When are you seeing herms? Sometimes it's purely genetics.

Some have no seed, some have many, most in between. Same with pollen giving flowers, all over the map from some long dead plants with pollen being spewed from flowers to others with none and most with 1 or 2. The seeds all over the map too from green to partially mature to fully formed. I corrected the light leak, hopefully this time will be better. Please keep the ideas flowing! thanks

N

NoSocSlic

it's not for fun, it's the way it's always been done until recently when everyone just got a
1.) tent
2.) 400/600/1000
3.) nutes got cheaper to the point where people can actually afford a whole biobiz line and not be a mersh dealer.
4.) came to the latest "i'm bout to do it big with these clones" thread
5.) got a kut of whatever west koast wonder...plant was most popular at the time.

then all you had to do was follow whatever the last guy did and copy his results. no learning experience gained.

then later you get nannered up plants (not singling anyone out btw) and can't figure out what could be the cause.
it's mostly weak genes, cookie cutter perfect environments don't stress your plants like in the wild. the next generation doesn't have anything to fight against and get better, just actually weakens. like an immune system in a sterile environment. it's the fight that brings out the winners.

if it makes it through my version of plant hell and is still stable and awesome smoke, then it's a keeper. plus the next generation from the seeds i made will be able to tolerate all the shit i put em through better. SOTF.

... sweeth tooth ... 3...2...1... lol

That actually makes a ton of sense.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Root damage and drought can be good triggers to intersex expressions revealing themselves. /genetics

pinkus

Veteran
ANYTHING that throws the plant way out of homeostasis has been implicated in an increased intersexed population.... this makes sense because it's a survival mechanism, it's not about pissing off their human. Even if I'm wrong it still makes sense to keep the plant within it's healthy "norm". Keep your plants happy and they will be less likely to go all intersex on ya.... unless that is their "normal" sexual expression in which case eitherdump the genetics or get ready for daily pluckings and some seeds.