What's new

Hemp growing going legit after decades-long ban

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm ready to see these hemp fields go up around me.

We may just as well be growing hemp since the dumb ass local yokels are still very biased against cannabis growing and the county controllers (county commissioners & the few that control the many) have disallowed any cannabis services for the sick within their jurisdiction.

HEMP FOR VICTORY!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Also...

For medical growers that could be potentially exposed to pollen, there are methods to protect yourself.

If indoors, the first thing I would employ is a semi-sealed room w HEPA filtered air intake & positive room pressure to keep the pollen from being "sucked" through missed openings.

If using greenhouse production, Filtration could get very expensive very quickly... Employing a filtered flowering section may be beneficial in order to keep plants unpollenated.

I had a male plant 1/4 mile away from a female with the normal winds blowing the pollen directly toward the female... Granted it was only one male... I git zero, zilch, nada for seed.
A field of hemp would more than likely present a far greater opportunity for pregnancy though...

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
U.S. Customs are bitches

U.S. Customs are bitches

The war never ends.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11)—Customs at the Louisville International Airport has seized hemp seeds meant for the pilot projects in the Commonwealth.

About 250 pounds of the seeds are being “held hostage” said a spokesperson for Ky. Ag. Commissioner James Comer.

Six universities, including the University of Louisville, are set to grow industrial hemp with the seeds being held by Customs.

Comer and the Kentucky Department of Agriculture are preparing to go to Federal Court to get the seeds released.

The first of the pilot projects is set to be launched next week by “Homegrow Heros”-- a group of military veterans.

Comer said Kentucky Senators and Congressmen are working to get the other seeds released.

The hemp plants could be used for fibers, oil or eventually to make automobile parts.

The seeds currently being held by Customs are from Italy.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
:D

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) – There has been an apparent breakthrough in the battle over industrial hemp seeds seized by customs agents in Louisville.

Late Tuesday afternoon, the Drug Enforcement Administration has decided to back down and release the seeds for a hemp pilot project.

Kentucky Agriculture Commissioner James Comer planned to take the DEA to federal court Wednesday to force it to follow a new federal law.

According to Comer, the DEA wanted to attach various conditions before it would even consider handing over the industrial hemp seeds.

Now the two sides have agreed on one condition.

“The first phone call – it was just an utter disregard for federal legislation, the Farm Bill,” Comer said.

By the last phone call between the DEA and the Kentucky Agriculture Department on Tuesday, the two sides appear to have reached an agreement that by the end f the week it will release to agriculture officials a 250-pound shipment of hemp seeds being held by customs agents.

“There’s only a small window of opportunity to plant these seeds,” Comer said. “They really should be in the ground today but we probably have until May 30 to plant the seeds.”

An agriculture department official says the DEA will only require the Agriculture Department to apply for an import permit, a process the DEA pledges to expedite so that the seeds can be released by the end of the week.

“The farm bull clearly states that we have the authority in Kentucky because we passed state regulatory framework, to be able to conduct pilot projects with research universities like the University of Kentucky,” Comer said.

It appears to be a better resolution than in 1996, when actor Woody Harrelson was arrested in rural Kentucky for ceremoniously planting four hemp seeds.

This Friday, Comer plans to join hemp supporters in rural Kentucky again to plant hemp seeds to usher in the rebirth of a cash crop outlawed here since 1937 because it looked similar to marijuana.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
the stuff grows all over Illinois. when I was living in Rantoul, it was in peoples gardens, roadside ditches, even coming up between the rails on the railroad tracks! they tried to make the state spray it in a few places, & the Fish & Wildlife boys sued them in court & stopped it. it was too valuable a cover & food source for pheasants, quail, etc. there is/was (allegedly) a variety in Minnesota that the feds used when they need a high % thc for testing. last I heard, it was on the endangered/threatened species list & what was left alive was under surveillance. it used to have its range marked on maps for research purposes, no longer...