What's new

help with my laptop

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
Madam, I was expressing awe, nothing more. My mental picture of you remains virginal in every detail, while my sympathy (masking envy) was being expressed for a man who obviously has a clever and funny mate.

Brains and humor are in this year. Must be the year of hippie lettuce...

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
no one else mentioned this, so i will. laptops ARE NOT designed to be on when not in use. couple that with haps response, and we may have found the problem.

NOKUY

Veteran
i have that same laptop hp pavilion dv6000...

ive had it for almost 2 years, and use for hrs and hrs everyday, and never had anyproblem w/ it at all.

i also often fall asleep w/ it on and it's often running all night

i use this "rubermaid" laptop stand....i got it at walmart for like $8.88 or sumthin super cheap like that.

it has no fans, just the steel mesh, and can be adjusted a zillion ways.

ROL82410_3_1.JPG

hey all,

so i have one of these HP pavilion dv6000's, and i didn't realize until now just how crappily this thing puts out heat. so, it's overheating alot..causing it to have internal hard drive problems, plus i have just read that there's a motherboard problem, and HP's not going to do anything about it.

anyway, i don't want to scrap this thing, seeing as though it cost too much money...so i was wondering if anyone has this same problem of overheating (whether you have the same laptop as me or not) and if you have any good notebook cooler pad suggestions.

thanks!

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
dontstepongrass, maybe i'm using my laptop too much then..but seriously, this thing can and usually does get hot even after just thirty minutes. i looked around online, and found out that it's a problem on HP's part. I probably shouldve done my research before i bought this 1 1/2 yrs ago, but now i have to deal, i guess. they wouldn't even do a recall, since it's a motherboard problem. oh well. it's either i try to keep it cool or else i should buy a new laptop, and that's not feasible at the moment.

nokuy, thanks for the suggestion. i'll have to give that a try.

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
i can feel one of the fans (vacuums?) sucking up cool air and the other one is blowing hot air, so they are working. to what extent? i guess not enough.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you have a home vacuum with a furniture attachment, take the hose and use it to suck out the openings where the fans are and any other vents/openings....

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
heat is the enemy of electronics. keeping fans clean is of the utmost importance in laptops since there is A. less room for fans inside them and B. there is substantially less area to dissipate heat.

make sure your fans are clean
try to not leave it running 24/7.

and also, i think u hit it on the head when u said next time u will research before taking the plunge...

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you can't do it yourself, it would be a good idea to take it somewhere and have the inside blown out. Dust and dirt builds up on the fan and it drags and has a hard time turning. And that creates heat...

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
thanks guys, i'll have to do that..that may help. plus the fan does seem pretty loud, i don't know if that has anything to do with it. sounds like its working TOO hard, you know?

Latest posts

Latest posts