What's new

Help! with my closed-room-setup issues..

ender87i

- I am growing in a recirculating ebb&gro 12-bucket fill/drain system.
- I have a closed-room setup (NO intake/exhaust... only CO2 and A/C)
- My reservoir is very well-aerated!

My plants have been having problems lately, and i think i have root rot.

Is there anything wrong with not having any air-exchange in my room?
Since i dont have intake or exhaust, there is never any fresh air in the room.
But since i have CO2 for the plant, and a well-aerated res for the roots, isnt that ok?

I just want to make sure that couldnt be causing a problem..

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes,your problems are because the co2 is being absorbed into the air-stones
and making the Rhizosphere anaerobic.

This is your main problem. How technical do you want this?

I think you should stop the air-stones. Get some hydrogen peroxide H2O2 instead.

Injury from low (or no) oxygen in the root zone can take several forms and these will differ in severity between species. Often the first sign of inadequate oxygen supply to the roots is wilting of the plant during the warmest part of the day when temperature and light levels are highest. Insufficient oxygen reduces the permeability of roots to water and there will be the accumulation of toxins, thus both water and minerals cannot be absorbed in sufficient quantities to support plant growth particularly under stress conditions.

This wilting is accompanied by slower rates of photosynthesis and carbohydrate transfer, so that over time, plant growth is reduced and yields will be affected. If oxygen starvation continues, mineral deficiencies will begin to show, roots will die back and plants will become stunted. Under continuing anaerobic conditions, plants produce a stress hormone - ethylene which accumulates in the roots and causes collapse of the root cells.

Once root deteriorization caused by anaerobic conditions has begun, opportunist pathogens such as Pythium can easily take hold and rapidly destroy the plant.

I found that with a sealed room, you need to unseal it when the lights are off. I had severe wilting (in coco) when my room was sealed. Then I looked at my co2 ppm reading when the lights were off and it was over 2000ppm (as high as the meter goes). I put an exhaust fan and passive intake on a photo cell timer, and put dampers at the intake and exhaust. So when the light go off the fan turns on, opens the damper, brings in fresh air. Lights go on, fan turns off, dampers closed, end of problem.

Epod

Have u got a pump to stir the tank up i had trouble with my tanks haveing dead spots in every one has 2 x 2" air stones in them but the pump keeps the tanks mixed well on a 15 min timer i use and had no trouble anymore

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Any way you can put your pumps outside of the room? Pull their air from a cool, non-CO2 environment?

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

T

TribalSeeds

I found that with a sealed room, you need to unseal it when the lights are off. I had severe wilting (in coco) when my room was sealed. Then I looked at my co2 ppm reading when the lights were off and it was over 2000ppm (as high as the meter goes). I put an exhaust fan and passive intake on a photo cell timer, and put dampers at the intake and exhaust. So when the light go off the fan turns on, opens the damper, brings in fresh air. Lights go on, fan turns off, dampers closed, end of problem.

The plants shouldnt even notice there is any co2 in the room when the lights are off. Theyre usually releasing at that time

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
mate dave and hydro soil hit it on the head

co2 in ur room getting pulled in thru ur air pumps into the rootzone is nooooo gooooood, u want o2 to the roots, not co2.

ender87i

IM NOT SURE WHERE YOU GUYS GOT THAT IDEA!!
MY AIR PUMPS ARE OUTSIDE OF MY GROWROOM!!
lol

Anyway, my reservoir is very well-aerated in 3 ways
1. an 18w airpump (outside the growroom) pumping to a 8" airdisc in the res.
2. a 2800gph hydor-koralia magnum water circulation pump in the res.
3. my water chiller continuously mixing around the water slightly.

Now, as for my roots being "suffocated" by CO2, why is this?
I assume if its happening at night, its also happening during the day,
so how is having an exhaust/passive intake going to help if added only at night?

At night, my CO2 monitor shows baseline levels.. no extra CO2.
During the day, its always at like 1000ppm. So id think the day would
cause more problems than the night..

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
CO2 isn't your problem then.

What IS your problem? Perhaps some info on that would help out here. :)

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

medicalmj

Veteran
- I am growing in a recirculating ebb&gro 12-bucket fill/drain system.
- I have a closed-room setup (NO intake/exhaust... only CO2 and A/C)
- My reservoir is very well-aerated!

My plants have been having problems lately, and i think i have root rot.

Is there anything wrong with not having any air-exchange in my room?
Since i dont have intake or exhaust, there is never any fresh air in the room.
But since i have CO2 for the plant, and a well-aerated res for the roots, isnt that ok?

I just want to make sure that couldnt be causing a problem..

What type of media are you using? Have you noticed any gnats? I had a total failure in a new CAP 2 gal EnGrow system using growstones. I had the older version w large holes. My plants were in 4x4 RW cubes, which were then placed into the two gal buckets of growstones. This turned out to be a lethal combo. The gnats went crazy and I got root rot and it was basically a loss. Inspect your roots for pests. 1 FG flier can lay 200 eggs or more.

ender87i

Im using hydroton clay pebbles as a medium.
The clones were planted into it, inside of 3x3" rockwool cubes.
No i have no gnats.

In a recent grow, i did however have gnats, and i totally agree that they are completely and utterly attracted to wet rockwool. However the season was different, and my room has completely changed since then. I havent seen a single gnat whatsoever in a long time. So thats definitely not the problem.

However, somehow i got root rot. So i guess ill just have to restart *shrug*

medicalmj

Veteran
Im using hydroton clay pebbles as a medium.
The clones were planted into it, inside of 3x3" rockwool cubes.
No i have no gnats.

In a recent grow, i did however have gnats, and i totally agree that they are completely and utterly attracted to wet rockwool. However the season was different, and my room has completely changed since then. I havent seen a single gnat whatsoever in a long time. So thats definitely not the problem.

However, somehow i got root rot. So i guess ill just have to restart *shrug*

Well you might be able to save em, if its worth it. You can hit with H2o2 to kill(1/8-1/4 oz per gal of 35% FG, not 3% brown bottle crap) , flush, then introduce Subculture B and M. I got rid of the RW cubes and go right from riot cubes to clay. GL!

ender87i

Im not sure how many ML 1/8-1/4 oz translates to, but i usually use 3ml per gallon, sometimes giving a little extra than that just for good measure. Anyway, thats exactly what i did was hit them with H202. As far as the rockwool, ive gotten rid of the 3" cubes and took clones in the 1" cubes, so ill be using those.

Really what i need to know is weather or not i need to be exhausting or intaking air from/to my growroom.. Keeping in mind that the room is getting plenty of CO2, and plenty of aeration to the reservoir. Good temps and humidity. But no exhaust/intake or exchange of air. So thats what i need to know. Is there a reason i would need to be exhausting the air, or bringing in new air? and why?

wantaknow

ruger 500
Veteran
move your air pump out side the room this will help alot ,you can make a chiller out of a water of a water fountain,this will help too!

ender87i

wantaknow - You should actually READ A THREAD before you reply to it!! Like ive already said, my airpump IS outside of my room. Not only have i already said this in response to others saying the same thing, but i dont know where you are getting the idea that the airpump is inside the room in the first place! ALSO, i ALREADY have a water chiller, which i believe ive ALSO already said.

I simply want to know weather or not i need air-exchange/renewal, fresh intake, or exhaust, in my room which is a closed-room setup and is aircooled, has CO2 enrichment, and a well-aerated reservoir.. Yes or No?

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
pics dude....

theres something going on but i dont think your posts are telling the story properly
are you feeding your plants via dwc/rdwc, ebb n flow, top fed drip, hand fed?

post some pics and i'm sure you'll get a better idea of whats wrong.

a closed room with co2 enrichment is the way to go...

ender87i

Greyskull - Like i said in my very first post, i am running a fill/drain (ebb&gro) bucket type system. Theres really nothing to show except for plants without any vigor and some minor deficiency symptoms.. that, and some brown roots if i dig them up out of the hydroton.

Anyway, all i want to know is weather or not a closed-room co2 setup needs to have any kind of exhaust or intake. like at night, or whatever. expelling stale are, or bringing in fresh air. any of that. Because with a closed-room co2 setup i dont think i should, but i need to know for sure. yes or no?

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i missed the ebb n grow part...

no exchange of air in a co2 enriched room.
none. not needed.
just dont be running the co2 when the lights are off

its been a while but i seem to recall 1500ppm being the target when lights are on

edit: i wonder if it could be off gassing? I seem to recall folks having issues with some tubing or something of that nature...
damn i cant recall the thread atm....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts