What's new

Help with math on CFU's per ML

negative37dBA

Veteran
Hi all. Working on how to figure out what this means on the Hydroguard bottle. Specifically how to decifer this. 1.00x10^4 cfu's per ml. I realize this is talking about how much of the active ingredient is in there. I have raw Bacillus amyloliquefaciens at a concentration of 10 billion CFU per gram. How many grams or whatever unit of measure is correct of raw to equal the Hydroguard concentration? To make a liter of use-able liquid, what would I need of my raw ingredient? Hydroguard is usually applied at a rate of 2 ml per gallon. Be interested in something close to that. Sorry if i have asked the same thing 4 times want to be sure I am clear.
I see the exponent is 4, making it 10 to the power of 4, which is 10,000...I think. So would that mean its 10,000 cfu's per ml??
Thanks all.
Peace, negative.
Been working on this. So if I am right in my math above then i would need 10 million cfu's total for a liter of concentrate. My raw is 10 billion cfu's per gram. 1% of 10 billion is 100 million. So then 1/10th of 1% needed...seems off. Help.

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
All application rates for liquids are in ml/gallon, so I would use the manufactures recommendations in gallons. The ratio of 1.00x10^4 is confusing. You have a good question that only the manufacturer can probably answer. 😎
Botanicare
3204 NW 38th Circle
Vancouver, WA 98660
TF- 888-478-6544
info@botanicare.com

Hatery1967

All application rates for liquids are in ml/gallon, so I would use the manufactures recommendations in gallons. The ratio of 1.00x10^4 is confusing. You have a good question that only the manufacturer can probably answer. 😎
Botanicare
3204 NW 38th Circle
Vancouver, WA 98660
TF- 888-478-6544
info@botanicare.com

I'm not that good at math, but I understand basic things. In principle, I do not understand why an ordinary person needs higher mathematics in life! I like reading more, like recently found cause and effect essay, used https://studymoose.com/essay-types/cause-and-effect-essays for that. It's a totally different field, but that kind of thing works better for me. I'm perpetually stressed out in math, but it's the other way around.
maybe you are right

Last edited:
Reactions: Gry

goingrey

1.00x10^4 cfu's per ml.
I see the exponent is 4, making it 10 to the power of 4, which is 10,000...I think. So would that mean its 10,000 cfu's per ml??

Yes. 10000 CFU / ml.

I have raw Bacillus amyloliquefaciens at a concentration of 10 billion CFU per gram. How many grams or whatever unit of measure is correct of raw to equal the Hydroguard concentration? To make a liter of use-able liquid, what would I need of my raw ingredient? Hydroguard is usually applied at a rate of 2 ml per gallon. Be interested in something close to that. Sorry if i have asked the same thing 4 times want to be sure I am clear.

Thanks all.
Peace, negative.
Been working on this. So if I am right in my math above then i would need 10 million cfu's total for a liter of concentrate. My raw is 10 billion cfu's per gram. 1% of 10 billion is 100 million. So then 1/10th of 1% needed...seems off. Help.

I think you have it right.

If the 10^4/ml and 10^9/g values are correct and the CFU's are comparable the proper dose would be (10^4/10^9) g/ml or 10 micrograms/ml or 0.01g per liter.

I guess it seems off because the numbers are so vastly different. The Hydroguard is low concentration and the other stuff high concentration.

How can this be? Well it is because it's not like a fertilizer where you have a certain amount of some element and then the plant uses it. These are colony forming units, in normal language bacteria. The idea is that they start replicating and form their colony. In theory one CFU is enough to start the colony. In practice the more you have the better your odds.

I don't think there is any need to make your own solution as low concentration as the Hydroguard.

negative37dBA

Veteran
I agree. I have been using it in the Raw if you will. Just adding 1ml to my rez at change out time. That is for a 32 gallon rez. Things are going great. Week 7 getting fat and frosty.
Peace, negative.

kingape

So 1 gram microbial powder with a concentration of 4x10^9 CFU/g dissolved in 1 litre of carrier liquid will result in a concentration of 4x10^9 cfu/ml??

Will the powder to be dissolved be 1 gram or 1000 gram?

goingrey

So 1 gram microbial powder with a concentration of 4x10^9 CFU/g dissolved in 1 litre of carrier liquid will result in a concentration of 4x10^9 cfu/ml??
No.

1g of 4x10^9 CFU/g powder will contain 4x10^9 CFUs.

Dissolved into one liter of liquid will result in a concentration of 4x10^9 CFU/l or 4x10^6 CFU/ml.

kingape

No.

1g of 4x10^9 CFU/g powder will contain 4x10^9 CFUs.

Dissolved into one liter of liquid will result in a concentration of 4x10^9 CFU/l or 4x10^6 CFU/ml.
Oh!

lol, was off by a factor of 10^3 for my calculations, will have to look for more conc. powder I guess.

The earlier discussion in this post made it seem that my maths was right

troutman

Seed Whore
With my current grow I watered a few times with enough activated charcoal added
until the water was black like crude oil. Bacteria of many species grow well on carbon.

Carbon is an excellent medium for the growth of waterborne bacteria.
Once bacteria colonize an activated carbon water filter, they will actually
introduce more bacteria into the effluent than the waters entering the filter.

Cheers

Last edited:

kingape

With my current grow I watered a few times with enough activated charcoal added
until the water was black like crude oil. Bacteria of many species grow well on carbon.

Cheers
That's cool!

Do you aerate the water after adding the powders?

kingape

Hi!

Could someone double check my calculation for BotaniGard 22WP.

as per this document, the cfu/gram is 2 x 10^11/gram of active ingredient.

some other docs show it as 2x10^13, but I am going with 2 x 10^11cfu/gram

The active content is 22%

Application rate of 1lb/100 gallons is equal to 4.48 grams/gallon

Active content @ 22% in 4.48 grams = 0.98 grams or let's say 1 gram/gallon

so total cfu = 2 x 10^11/gallon

but liquid bacterials innoculants are measured in cfu/ml

so cfu/ml for botanigard would be 5.28 x 10^7 cfu/ml

is that correct??

Latest posts

Latest posts