What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

help with keeping airstones down!

hey all, im using 2x 30 gallon tubs, DWC, using 1 inch airstones. 4 per tub. I used some silicone to keep the airlines down, but one popped up,

Whats a good way to weight them down? im scared to use most stuff ive thought of as it can rust

cough_cough_eer

Anita Bonghitt
Veteran
I've never grown hydro, but have lots of fish aquariums and I use aquarium gravel or a rock to hold down aristones. They also make ceramic weights that clamp onto the tubing near the aristone.

G

Suction cups keep mine down pretty good. If not I might look at a piece of corral or something rock like from the fish store

Tex

G

I saw a few people on OG do something to keep them down. The got about 2-3 inches of Vinyl tubing Put a hole in the middle for the air hose to go thru and on the open ends STUFF some marbles in the holes and voila weighted airstones.

Blatant

Hooked-On-Grown

Veteran
hey all, im using 2x 30 gallon tubs, DWC, using 1 inch airstones.

I think your problem is the 1" airstones. I have 50 gal res tanks and have 2-4" airstones in each. They stay on the bottom just fine from there weight. 1" stones are to lite and float. Put in 4" airstones and see if that helps. If you have to add another pump and stone, they are cheap and do not suck up any power.

yea i really like the 1 inchers, i bought some of the self waited bubble walls, but i dont get the popping water at the surface as much, u think it would be ok to use like stainless steel washers or something to hold em down? fish store didnt have any suction cups

bah, was gonna use some washers to hold it down, tried takin airstone off and it broke. now im just gonna drain it and silicone it down, put in new airstone and be done with it

G

im sure epoxy would work great if that silicone stuff isn't cutting it.

THC

i thought about using an epoxy, but ive never seen one that wont break down in water/chems. silicone wont break down, i just wasnt paying attention ,the thing i was using to hold it down while it cured musta moved . drained the tub just now, gonna have to go buy a new airstone

Do airstones degrade if u use them then leave em dry for a while?

at walmart and pet stores they sell 12-14 inch air rocks and they sink directly to the bottom they have some that they sell with larger and smaller bubbles get the smaller bubbles as it works better for your plants

Hybrid

YES they do clog and theyre performance degrades quicker than u might think. Leave urself a way too replace them when u need too. Theyre cheap. By the way, the drying isnt the problem, its the nutrients and such during normal use.

Hybrid

Last edited:
G

once agian pvc

once agian pvc

Hey I use 3/4" Cpvc. fill it with sand, glue the caps and zip tie it to the bottom if the bubbler bar.

DarkLance

Hybrid said:

YES they do clog and theyre performance degrades quicker than u might think. Leave urself a way too replace them when u need too. Theyre cheap. By the way, the drying isnt the problem, its the nutrients and such during normal use.

Hybrid

Why does no one ever mention this? I do not grow (yet :)) but I know from LOTS of aquarium experience that these "air stones" suck mad balls. I never use them in tanks anymore, and fish water is a lot clearer than most nute solutions. I highly suggest the newer "air tube" deals that you can get from your local fish store. If you are too cheap to get one of these (they cost like $3 and never clog) you can poke a bunch of wholes in a piece of line. I don't think you really need all that many. Most of you go way overboard with your airstones. To aerate water all you need is a small pump really. When I get my grow going (next month) I will try and do a test on this.

Of course there is the exception to this for all of you running bubblers.

omega7

Use a powerhead witht the aerating venturi option. They all come with it. With the circulation and aeration a powerhead cant be beat. But since you alreayd have the air pump try the new RENA airstones. They are about an inch or 2 and are white with black plastic. They work great. They are bit expensive for an airstone at like $5-$6

Last edited:

landover80

sand spots on the bottom and use some plumbers goop. let it cure overnight. thats what I do

2184cloner1.jpg

or
2184P1010657-med.JPG

Last edited:

full time daddy
Veteran
i sand mine also!!!!!

i use hobby glue ( pta)
it sticks in sec's dont get it on your hand/fingers.

work's a.o.k. it dose take about 5-10 to dry on the rubbermade

but watch your hand's man not even 2 sec's.

it's made to go on tire's on rc car's that cruz at 60mph+