What's new

help w/ sexiness determination please

i know , total cliche, but i need help narrowing down my "field" ... thanks in advance
4rvkhv.jpg

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
Looks like a Kush strain?

But not showing any sex yet pardner. At least not in that picture.

Those are buds, beginning of a new set of branches.

More pictures always helps. It also helps to know a little more about what you're growing. Height, stretch, flowering time, feeding, ect. but fortunately you should be able to tell quit a bit by it's growth habits, leaves, and coloring.

jm420

Veteran
pull back the stipula thats where the preflowers are. ball= male oval =female .a 10x loop helps.search "pinecone" he posted some great pics of preflowers.

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
Some strains show characteristics like sex at different stages of growth. My guess at the strain was based on the leaf stem length, main stem size and structure, the dimples below the leaf stems and spacing of the nodes. But still little more than a guess and not really important in answering your question since it isn't showing sex yet in the pic.

More pics help sometimes, but only if the pictures show what you're looking for and that plant just isn't showing yet. At least not at that node. And never worry over asking questions buddy, we are all learning here. Some of us have just learned a little more than others of us.

Save this pic. Right now it might not show exactly what you are looking for because your plant isn't quite at the stage where it will show yet. But when it does the picture will make total sense.

picture.php

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
those are leaves like someone said. are you on 12/12? should be about another week or so guessing before you see sex. as for strain, maybe in flower you might be able to notice similarities with a named strain, but you may never be able to say with any certainty what strain it is.

unless is a kush cross it will be easy to tell, they usually all taste/smell like kush, bleh!

still waiting on the sexiness, here is an update w/ photos, please offer comments/suggestions

The oldest of this family was sown in rockwool and popped first week of May. Bad weather forced me to keep some inside under a weak cfl for longer than I wanted and I learned what "stretch" means. It is an outside grow 40 degree latitude, very dry, lots of sun, legal if I can get my plant numbers down. After rockwool start I put them in Foxfarm OF cut w/ perlite about 4:1. I started transplanting into same soil ammended w/ bone, blood & kelp meal. Recently started every 3rd watering w/ Liquid Karma & black strap molasses; water is tap (pretty neutral) left out at least 24 hours.

unknown strain family
2qlv1ub.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/2qlv1ub.jpg

several of these are white widow (we think?)
n4i3bq.jpg

these three are early candidates-really must narrow down to 2 or 3
4j4510.jpg

15dtkxg.jpg

2ebqs89.jpg

oh yeah, just curious about the purple stem on this one, letting it run as an experiment, transplant was total fail, half of root ball broke off and stayed in original pot (!) plant fell over for about 12 hours then bounced back. She has been purple since birth. just curious
2ak9svn.jpg

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
some plants just have purple stems, etc since birth.

why do you have perlite on the top of those 2-3 pots? you're supposed to mix it into your soil. it doesn't do anything added by pouring it on top. if you wanted to keep the moisture in longer you should cover the top of the soil with sphagnum or spanish moss.

W

wilbur

outdoor grower here. wanted to say plants look very nice ... they would be getting very large if planted outdoors, I think.

never seen such purple before (in many years of growing). purple leaves often due to cold or phosphate deficiency ... but you may have some sort of 'sport' or mutation here ... possibly ...

purple one looks less vigourous than other plants ... but thc might be higher ... who knows?

happy growing!

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
if you're outdoors in cali dont you have to wait till whatever time of the year fall is for you before they will show sex anyway?

perlite on top because I read a thread on benefits of mulch, felt like doing "something" and had some extra (after I had, yes, already mixed it into the soil, lol). Getting very crusty soil surface by water time and was hoping/testing if the perlite as mulch would help (?)... I was also thinking that since my soil is pretty much the "food" I should cover it up so roots could use as much as possible. That's my rationale anyway, is it the dumbest thing ever? edit: i do have some peat moss, would that be a better mulch? duh!!

thanks for all the input so far, I will update w/ photos in a few days if anyone is interested

ps, since you are still looking, are these markings anything to be concerned about or am I "searching" for a problem to fix? Appearing on a lower portion of a few plants. I am thinking of very light solution of Epsom Salts (x2 tsp. per gallon) in next watering, I left out dolimite lime from my mix and was thinking I may have no Mag. to speak of. Please be kind to the newbie who mulches w/ perlite; also I just read a thread about urine as instant N fert... hmmmm
23gzi87.jpg

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
looks like caterpillars or something to me. notice how they look like trails. or it might be light tricks with the camera and something reflective in the background. if you use urine as a fert you dilute it like 10-15:1. 15 cups water per cup of pee. as for the epsom salts 1 teaspoon per gallon, dissolves faster in warm/hot water. take a cup of hot water dissolve, mix into the gallon of water. or put the salt in a jug, add a little water, swish around till dissolved, fill the rest of the way with water.

jm420

Veteran
if you're outdoors in cali dont you have to wait till whatever time of the year fall is for you before they will show sex anyway?

no most plants will show preflowers after 30 days + of veg .3rd node from the top is the place to start looking.IMO those plants are still to immature to show pre flowers

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
perlite on top because I read a thread on benefits of mulch, felt like doing "something" and had some extra (after I had, yes, already mixed it into the soil, lol). Getting very crusty soil surface by water time and was hoping/testing if the perlite as mulch would help (?)... I was also thinking that since my soil is pretty much the "food" I should cover it up so roots could use as much as possible. That's my rationale anyway, is it the dumbest thing ever?

It isn't the dumbest idea ever. Perlite should help with water retention. This said you could probably find a mulch that would feed the soil and help with water retention. Something like a mix of some combination of decomposing fall leafs, fresh green unseeded weeds, un-sprayed grass clippings, and left over salad greens would be better mulch than perlite. I mulch my indoor plants with decomposing fall leafs, bubble hash leavings, stems and stumps from old plants, and dead fall.

Pine

Last edited:
thanks again for the replies all and especially to Pine; your "early sexing" post inspired me to start figuring it out and I was full of confidence starting this post. I have been humbled and replaced in my place, but enjoy/appreciate the knowledge shared.

btw, would Sphagnum Peat Moss be an acceptable mulch? Trying hard to "use what I have" and I have some left over from last year's soil for beginers which was an epic fail.

Also, I think the leaf markings that look like "little trails" is a sign of leaf miners, so I may get some neem oil which I know doesn't control them within the leaves but may help w/ the adults and probably a good thing to have on hand - research continues...

here is a group shot this morning... as you can see, I have a few more than the three wife & leo allow...
k4gi74.jpg