What's new

help w pest identification

zizration

First indication that you have some type of infestation is exactly what you said: plants slowed down and then they stopped growing. You know something is wrong when you see that. Second indication is the clear necrosis we are seeing on your plants. So, first they stopped growing and now the leaves are dying. I'm not going to debate anyone saying that your pics are of trichs or glands. I would just say to google mite eggs and tell me the pics you see don't look EXACTLY like what you are dealing with. My guess is those mites are hiding in your soil and coming up to suck the juices out of your plants. When they bite your plants they open up the plant to further damage from various pathogens, further compounding the problem. I would start with a neem soil drench. I highly recommend Einstein Oil. Question: pics you posted are from the underside of your leaves, correct?

M.

yea something is going on as things were looking amazing on the last run, i started to spot 1 or 2 bad leaves. then bam they were through out the room. the trouble followed the clones i took and the picts you see now.

Here is a thread on scale insects. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=59865

Scroll thru the pics and you will see a few different kinds but there are literally hundreds of all different shapes colors and sizes. I had the kind showed on page 2 and 3. If you do an image search on the web you may find a match to your specific variety... If that's what you are actually dealing with. Not difficult to treat. But again they wouldn't do the kind of damage seen in pics so my guess is something else having to do with yer roots is the real problem.

i will look up scale bugs. i have never heard of them at all to be honest. i will def be looking at the roots tomorrow. thnx to everybody for their thoughts. it is beyond maddening let alone the lack of the sweet medicine I am supposed to be making here..:(

Morphote

Veteran
and yes most picts are from underside of leaves..

Yes that's what I thought. Definitely mites. The fact that you know you have a problem but you can't see anything sounds exactly like mites. All the pics you see of webbing and mites stacked on mites are from full blown infestations. The step just before that is what you're seeing now: lots of eggs but no adult mites. They are very crafty. Check the underside of your leaves first thing in the morning or when the lights turn on. That's when they are feeding and/or laying more eggs. Take a pic of that then post it, so I can try to identify which mite you have. Again, good luck!

M.

zizration

i have been scoping leaves w my 120x usb scope for (please don't laff at me) for 3+ wks now. so far these are the best picts i have been able to get. over the course of that time span.. here are a few more. i will check back tomorrow. thnx again.

Attachments

• Photo on 2016-05-29 at 8.47 AM #2.jpg
    Photo on 2016-05-29 at 8.47 AM #2.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Photo on 2016-05-06 at 6.50 AM.jpg
    Photo on 2016-05-06 at 6.50 AM.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Photo on 2016-05-06 at 2.04 PM.jpg
    Photo on 2016-05-06 at 2.04 PM.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Photo on 2016-05-17 at 2.03 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 2016-05-17 at 2.03 PM #2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Photo on 2016-05-17 at 2.01 PM.jpg
    Photo on 2016-05-17 at 2.01 PM.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 7

zizration

im purely baffled, i m giving them another week before doing anything crazy. I'm hoping todays spray as well as tomorrows flush w aspirin helps out...i have a plant count to adhere to , obviously producing new clones from this stock seems unwise.. I'm going to down load Game of thrones ,hit the bong and talk to my cat.

Morphote

Veteran
I would also like to state, for the record (and your sake), that I hope Scrappy is right.

M.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
You think so? I mean that would be awesome. How come the plants have gotten so messed up? My feeds were decent and preventative sprays in place as well.. any thoughts on how to get back on track here?

i would need more information, but based on the overall look of your plants i would say either too much food or too much water.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
So as I look at these pictures it just gets worse and worse. 1 week ago these were pretty nice little plants.

Any advice/input at all would be greatly appreciated.

these twisted up burnt leaves...that's not bug damage that lockout. the question is because you water too much and your roots are dying or is it too much food and they can't take it up. might be both. huge pot, little plant. i'm leaning too wet.

zizration

i really appreciate the input I am open to all ideas. they are in 2 gallon pots filled w a perlite/hp mix and i really don think they have been too wet . I'm pretty careful waterer...the max feed they have had is 550 ppm ..so i'm not really thinking lock out...

if anything i thought deficiency actually.

given the way the last round just stopped growing (until they got an aspirin shot then started limping along) i thought i had some kind of toxicity going on. i wish i had documented more closely. The very first signs I had were these donut style holes on the undersides of the leaves, followed by deformed leaves and necrotic leaves, then the plant growth all but halted.The naked eye can't see anything. At magnification I see the stuff I have posted. I am going to look at them in 10 minutes and see if yesterdays spray made any changes. I am going to spray them w just water and possible aspirin feed today.. thnx again for commenting..:)

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
550ppm is prety high for container plants. i had 4 foot plants and i only gave them 400ppm max. personally i would give em a few days to dry out, then i would give only water till they start looking yellow then start feeding again at half what you were giving and working up. i see the room full of plants. maybe those ones can do 500ppm. but this little guy...no.

zizration

hmm well you might be right. although we go a lot higher than 4-500 ppm around here usually w/ no bad results. after misting them w plain water just now i see they do look a little perked up from yday. maybe the aspirin treatment helped a bit? i do agree that letting them dry out a bit and sort of rest is a good idea. they were outside on a deck and got super rained on last friday, saturday i moved them into a green house where they don't get as much light but are more sheltered. i can't move them into the room until I have fully done the bleach out which is starting asap. damn real life gets in the way.. thnx again for input!

Scrappy-doo

If a dose of aspirin helped them it would support an aphid possibility, but certainly not difinitive. Could have been that heavy rain got her waterlogged but I agree she looks locked out. Did you take a look at the roots? If they are brown at all you know at least the problem is likely related to that.

zizration

i didn't check the roots, but i will go do that in 1/2 hr. i actually forgot this morning. these picts are from some fresh clones that had all looked good yday and today 1 had some bad leaves. i plucked and scoped those and saw this.... big unfunny mystery. i will check those roots and see if i can get a picture. thnx again.

Attachments

• Photo on 2016-05-30 at 2.56 PM.jpg
    Photo on 2016-05-30 at 2.56 PM.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Photo on 2016-05-30 at 2.57 PM.jpg
    Photo on 2016-05-30 at 2.57 PM.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Photo on 2016-05-30 at 2.59 PM.jpg
    Photo on 2016-05-30 at 2.59 PM.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 6

zizration

so here is one of the damaged plants and a shot of its roots....

i think the roots don't look too bad?

the plant tho, so dismal.. I'm def feeling like Im letting these girls dowwwwwwwn :(

Attachments

• IMG_5794.jpg
    IMG_5794.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5795.jpg
    IMG_5795.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 6

zizration

these pots are too wet from the rain that is for sure .. i will hold off anymore nutes and let them dry out. i might hit them w the sprayer and some aspirin again tomorrow tho...

zizration

well i sure hope you are right. the problem has now been going on over 2 generations of plants . so I'm not too sure about that... these ones def got super wet from the rain(it poured) this problem had appeared before the rains. before that i was watering w 250-500 ml/pot depending on plant size. . . i have never let them get this wet before. i can def let them dry out and not give them any nutes for a bit. later tonite or tomo i will collect a soil sample and do a ppm test on it and see what it says.

thnx again for your input.