What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help Us Out (Cooling a Closet) Please!!

No reason? His smart ass comment on miracles and his comment on no need for odor control is the reason we sunk our teeth in. We could have ripped on him alot harder than we did. He needs to be brought back into reality. Now I know why Krusty got banned from everywhere.

DJ Twist

What was smart ass about what he said?

I understand what he means. You clearly missed the point of what SpoCannabis was saying.

Sometimes the way things are interpreted are more a reflection of the listener's attitude and temperment than the speaker's intent.

Looks like you guys just wanted to talk shit. Way to support the cause.

Tarbosh

jeez, I love it when people troll on trolls for being trolls when they themselves are trolls. You all make me laugh..... or is it the Bubbleberry? meh, either way..... its all funny..... but no seriously.....

would it be possible to like half a closet? and create some type of cooling box in the top half of the space? Ive seen some small closets with some HUGE ceilings........ whats good with halfing the vertical space and growing in the lower half, while still venting in the same closet but in the airsealed top half? right i do know that heat rises, or maybe I just realized.... but can it be somehow innovativly done? Im thinking that most closets already have a top shelf..... cant you just take advantage of this in some way or another............that involves a ventilation system, NOT a cloning chamber?

DJ Twist

So now I'm a troll because I'm trying to make peace...

Or are you calling 10k the mod a troll?

Last edited:
I did answer his question with more sound construction advice than most of these posts. A couple of the people in here contributed nothing but shit talking. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. What is this shit talking contributing to the "community" and the "movement" by the way? I am trying to help him solve his problem and pass on my expierence, by the way. His know it all attitude is a direct contradiction to his lack of knowledge on something as simple as venting a closet without cutting holes in the wall. You guys are too funny.

The idea of a seperate box on top built to vent into would not be a bad idea. I always use an attic, but I guess this would work. You could have your carbon scrubber and fan in there and have it looking real clean. You could cut a hole for all that to vent out and slap a register cover over it or duct it out a window.

As far as the odor control remark goes, why would you want to draw un needed attention to yourself, even if what you are doing is "legal"? According to the law, what the clubs are doing is legal, too, and most of them don't stink. At least in my neighborhood they dont.

Jnugg

Veteran
Well tis is what I will say about the odor control.No matter how legalyour MJ garden is it is only legal in the state governments eyes but in federal law it is not legal,no way no how.....state law does not superceed federal law.

Also you should be concerned with theifs.No odor control means the odor gets out into the street for some people to smell and well someone just might figure out where that smell is coming from.

BlindDate

Veteran
Yeah 10K, what's wrong with injecting a little humor into the mix. Lighten up. Remember, this isn't a guy asking how to build a 40,000 watt diesel powered underground Aeroponic grow with supplimental red LED lighting.

He's asking how to vent a closet for gad sake, and then arguing about it.

burnt out og'er
Veteran
Yeah 10K, what's wrong with injecting a little humor into the mix. Lighten up. Remember, this isn't a guy asking how to build a 40,000 watt diesel powered underground Aeroponic grow with supplimental red LED lighting.

He's asking how to vent a closet for gad sake, and then arguing about it.

How about you "lighten up"...

I saw NO arguement from the author about venting a closet, but I did see a few people start geekin and getting abusive, for absolutely no reason, over the fact that the med patient wasnt concerned about odor control.

Like DJ TWIST said..

I understand what he means. You clearly missed the point of what SpoCannabis was saying.

Sometimes the way things are interpreted are more a reflection of the listener's attitude and temperment than the speaker's intent.

Looks like you guys just wanted to talk shit.

I agree with what DJ Twist said 100%. :yes:

Said another way...
I see a thread here, where the person who asked a few simple questions was attacked with personal abuse over odor control, something that wasnt even part of his questions. He replied that odor control control wasnt an issue, and he also thanked people for the positive input, only to be met with that eubinic methhead sounding dribble, followed by your comments about personal hygene & girlfriends, welfare, 50 cats pissing in the house etc and then someone else LOL'ing and blowing their own horn over the size of the grow.

"lighten up"

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
SpoCannabis said:
Yeah....at this point we have just left the door open with a large box fan blowing in. The surrounding rooms are fine to vent to/from, but it was the door posing the main obstacle. Wouldn't you think it would be more cost effective to just buy a piece of thin ply wood and put hinges on it, use it to cut up for ventilation, and then just scrap it and the end of the grow???

That's how I would do it but a cheap door isn't too much more expensive either and could be done a little less noticable. Another effective door solution is to take a heavy sheet of plastic and stretch it across your openning, then there's this tape you can buy at some hardware stores. It's about 7 feet long and in the middle it has a zipper. The glue is tough like duct tape. You tape that where you want your openning. You unzip, and run a utility knife down the area between the open zipper. Bam! instant light proof, air tight, semi odor proof doorway.

Last edited:

Guest423

Veteran
not getting another door is just plain silly, it's to easy and doesn't cost much...u can get a door with a scratch in it at a store for $20

what if the room that he has the closet in doesn't have a/c and is just as hot as his closet? then he'd just be recirculating hot air.

peace

HempKat

Veteran
Sauce said:
There are 2 main ways to cool down a place and that's a/c and ventilation. Both need venting going to the outside or to some place other than that room. Without cutting it's impossible to do anything major.

I suggest either cutting a hole in the door and just buying a new door when he moves out, or leaving the door open with a large box fan blowing air out or in, whichever works better.

I think you could probably get a decent door and paint it for under $100 easy. Imo that's a small price to pay.

Just so you know you can get decent cheap light weight doors for around $20 to $30 bucks. So better to remove the original, replace with the new one, modify it to your hearts content. When you move put the original door back.

Under $50

HempKat

Veteran
SpoCannabis said:
Yeah....at this point we have just left the door open with a large box fan blowing in. The surrounding rooms are fine to vent to/from, but it was the door posing the main obstacle. Wouldn't you think it would be more cost effective to just buy a piece of thin ply wood and put hinges on it, use it to cut up for ventilation, and then just scrap it and the end of the grow???

I would think for 1 400W light with 4 plants the open door and fan would probably be okay as long as he can air condition the rest of the place. :) But with an open door how are you controlling light leaks?

HempKat

Veteran
gregor_mendel said:
I agree that your plywood idea is good, but you will need 3 or 4 elbows at each duct to lightproof. Three will work for sweeping elbows, but you will need four if they are ninety degree angle elbows. If stealth dosen't matter, this should work well.

I used to use R-MATT for what you are proposing with plywood. It is a dense foil backed foamboard found where all the other foam board is at home improvement stores. Not all places carry it.

You can cut it with a utility knife and assembe it with foil tape. Make doors out of it, too. Run those ells throgh it. Probably not sturdy enough for mounting a heavy fan, though.

GM

It is if you don't mount the fan to it but suspend the fan just in front and connect with flexible ducting. Cut a hole in the door just big enough for the ducting, pass it thru, seal around the opening with tape.

Last edited:

HempKat

Veteran
SpoCannabis said:
Really?? Impossible eh? I must have experienced miracles....time and time again, lol.

What many of you do not seem to realize is that this is a LEGAL MEDICAL GROW. THERE IS NO NEED FOR ODOR CONTROL.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks H & GM for your positive input - I keep thinking to type K+ and then damn near shed a tear for OG.

I will keep you updated on everything....should have a few pics up in the next couple of days.

Be careful there, some times legal doesn't always mean what it should. Plus it is always good not to draw any attention for more then just legal reasons. I've heard of growers victimized by gangs or other drug dealers.

Last edited:

HempKat

Veteran
CarharttKidd said:
I did answer his question with more sound construction advice than most of these posts. A couple of the people in here contributed nothing but shit talking. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. What is this shit talking contributing to the "community" and the "movement" by the way? I am trying to help him solve his problem and pass on my expierence, by the way. His know it all attitude is a direct contradiction to his lack of knowledge on something as simple as venting a closet without cutting holes in the wall. You guys are too funny.

The idea of a seperate box on top built to vent into would not be a bad idea. I always use an attic, but I guess this would work. You could have your carbon scrubber and fan in there and have it looking real clean. You could cut a hole for all that to vent out and slap a register cover over it or duct it out a window.

As far as the odor control remark goes, why would you want to draw un needed attention to yourself, even if what you are doing is "legal"? According to the law, what the clubs are doing is legal, too, and most of them don't stink. At least in my neighborhood they dont.

Well he's probably new to the legal aspect and thinks he can be more open. It would be fair if you can speak as a medical user of how the law isn't always the law, first. Then if he continues to blow off your warnings perhaps harsher language would be warranted. Although I don't see why, it's his situation on the line, if he wants to be risky with it I guess that's his choice. No need to get mad at him. Unless perhaps, again as a medical user, you are trying to prevent one from being reflective of the community by drawing unwanted attention.

HempKat

Veteran
Time2Unite said:
not getting another door is just plain silly, it's to easy and doesn't cost much...u can get a door with a scratch in it at a store for $20

what if the room that he has the closet in doesn't have a/c and is just as hot as his closet? then he'd just be recirculating hot air.

peace

Good point although that would be untypical of an apartment.

Damn I really need to learn to read a thread beginning to end before I jump in :D

Last edited:
True, it is his ass on the line, but it is really painfull to watch someone make such a basic mistake as not worrying about the smell coming off of a grow. The neighborhood I live in now arrests people for growing, medical reccomendation or not. You have to go in front of the court to argue your case to the judge. The last place I lived was much much more liberal(and a famous medical cannabis hot spot), but the jail was still full of medical users. This boils down to just thumbing your nose at society in my opinion. There is an old Chinese saying. The nail that stands up gets pounded down. I put in my two cents and gave the best advice that I could. If they want to be more obvious than needed and risk getting ripped off or having to go through the agony of an arrest after they have heard sound advice being repeated painfully, that is on them. I won't say I told you so if it happens. The "community" is full of self enduced tragedy and victims that refuse to step up and take responsibility. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure.

SpoCannabis

DJ Twist said:

Looks like you guys just wanted to talk shit. Way to support the cause.

Amen brother!! That is EXACTLY how I look at it!!

SpoCannabis

10k said:
How about you "lighten up"...

I saw NO arguement from the author about venting a closet, but I did see a few people start geekin and getting abusive, for absolutely no reason, over the fact that the med patient wasnt concerned about odor control.

Thank you 10k (and DJ Twist) for the support. I was hoping someone would see that I never meant to be rude or argue...I was just hoping for some positive input and possibly a constructive discussion. I am very passionate about the movement, but this drama trying to be better than everyone else here online is just destructive to the entire community. Attitudes are contageous....which one would you rather catch?

SpoCannabis

Yeah....the room outside the closet has A/C and is low enough in temp to keep the closet cool. Thanks to everyone for your great feedback!! I think I will take your advice and help our fellow patient out and buy a door and use that. I will be sure to make at least 2 curves in the piping to prevent light leaks as well.

Please check us out at www.SpoCannabis.org

Last edited: