What's new

HELP! To remove this furnace, or not to remove?

MrBomDiggitty

Veteran
Well, here I go again. My first few runs growing took place under a computer desk with a whole bunch of CFLs and although I was satisfied in the end, I was not impressed.

This next go round I'm hoping to knock my socks off, so I figured I'd get some input from the community before I do anything too drastic.

I've got this tiny furnace room which functions as a sorry excuse for a storage place and I'd like to upgrade it to a 400w or even 1000w proper grow room.

Could I get some input on how I would remove this old furnace from the space?

Leave the vent tubing or take it out along with the furnace?

Is it even worth all the trouble trying to take this furnace out?

Is the furnace recyclable or can I sell it used somewhere?

There is a gas line running to this thing so I'm thinking of having a professional remove it. Who do I call? How much you think they would charge.

Thanks.

...and there is a more detailed explanation of what is going on in these photos if you check the gallery in my profile.

You can do it. Make sure you keep the gas turned off, find the right size cap or plug to seal off the line as well as keeping the valve in the off position. There is an electric line running into the furnace somewhere to run the blower, be sure to disconnect that as well and keep it well sealed off. As a bonus you may have a 15 amp dedicated circuit available. There is no market for dinosaur furnaces; you are going to wind up taking this puppy apart piece by piece, but it isn't hard to do. Start with the ductwork and just keep going one bolt or screw at a time until the pieces are small enough to move. There is a market for scrap metal so you can either haul it to a recycler, or maybe put it out front for the scavengers. Depends on your community, where I live the "junkers" would be fighting over the scrap, but in nicer communities I could run afoul of building inspectors or be violating some ordinance or another.
The ductwork looks kinda ratty but may be useful.
If you can figure out how to remove that old furnace you might have stumbled into a very sweet situation a lot of people would die for: a grow room with ample electricity and a good exhaust . good luck

PharmaCan

Veteran
The ductwork looks kinda ratty but may be useful.
If you can figure out how to remove that old furnace you might have stumbled into a very sweet situation a lot of people would die for

"a lot of people would die for" Those are the key words here, and you should take them literally and seriously. Those old ducts are asbestos wrapped. Doing anything in that room means exposing yourself and anyone else in the house to asbestos dust, the breathing of which can significantly up your chances of getting a particularly vile form of lung cancer.

If you want to remove that furnace, you should have it done by a professional asbestos abatement contractor.

PC

Hank Hemp

Veteran
Danger Will Rogers

Danger Will Rogers

Good catch PharmaCan. :yeahthats The tape is old and looks to be coming down. I would bet there is a really good chance it is asbestos. I've done asbestos inspection in older homes and we always took samples of tape on vent ducts. Do not breathe any dust from those tapes now. A dust mask is not good enough. OK? :2cents:

Good catch PharmaCan. Asbestos is nasty if that's what's in the pics, and that's what it probably is. To have it removed by a certified asbestos removal contractor pushes the price into the stratosphere and makes the project hard to justify.

MrBomDiggitty

Veteran
Wow, thanks for all the input.

No, I'm definately not Thundurkle....
But I am a CFL n00b spawn he has helped to create.
I'm trying to step into the world of HID. It can be expensive...

Looks like I'm stuck on the furnace removal for now. I wonder how much a project like this would cost me just to take it down. Certified asbestos removal is what? few hundred bucks or a few thousand?

MrBomDiggitty

Veteran
As ancient as this furnace is, would I be bringing property value down by removing it? Also, would firing this furnace up be hazardous with the condition of the asbestos laden tape?

I N Hail

Growing Grower AKA Wasted Rock Ranger
Veteran
Do you know what year the house was built?

If you don't know how to check a furnace to see if it's GOOD, Call an expert!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrBomDiggitty

Veteran
expert called. should be here sunday. over the phone estimate for complete removal/duct cleaning is in the ballpark of $500. bah

I N Hail

Veteran
Guess thats not to bad a price, Just tell them up front thats all you have( no surprises)

Of course try to talk them down first.

MrBomDiggitty

Veteran
I'm trying to figure out if its worth all the trouble. I'm guessing to properly set up a closed room like this I will need a decent blower/air mover... especially if I'm going to take full advantage.

I was planning on growing in soil, but if this thing gets hauled off, maybe I should practice my hand at some hydro.

I'm guessing it is going to be a solid $1000 investment from here on out if I want to grow in this room. Maybe I should just play around with CFLs for a few more months and then make the switch.

I N Hail

Veteran
Yeah one step at a time forsure, easier to catch/fix problems

Good Luck

PeaceINH

MrBomDiggitty

Veteran
Guy looked at the photos and gave me a quote over the phone $1100! He says I could do it myself, or pay some handy man $250, but to get it done properly it would be $1100. He confirms there is asbestos, but says I encounter more carcinogens when I go outside in the morning.

Should I risk taking this thing down peice by peice? I dunno how to seal off the gas and I'm not sure how electricity is hooked to this thing.

Any tips where to find someone who would do this work properly for less?
I live in a big city.

PharmaCan

Veteran
Do a web search for asbestosis and mesothelioma. Then see if you really want to do this yourself - or condemn some poor handyman to doing it.

PC

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Professional asbestos removers are equipped with clean suits and full face respirators. Your home owners insurance might pay the $1100.00. I'd give em a call and see before paying out of pocket.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Do a web search for asbestosis and mesothelioma. Then see if you really want to do this yourself - or condemn some poor handyman to doing it.

PC
:yeahthats

I've talked to guys that don't think spending time in a house with bug-bombs going off is a health hazard. Totally fogged with insect spray. YEah, be careful who you get advice about health from. LOL

Mesothelioma was going for at least 125$ a click for google adwords, at least 6 years ago. Lawyers make a ton of cash off entities that expose people to asbestos. It's not something you want to mess with.

Edit: I would have the tape tested for asbestos.... if it comes up positive, pay for professional removal. Save up if you have to, it's cheaper than the hit you'll take if you try to sell the place with that in it.
/edit:

I would seriously consider taking a few months to slowly and methodically clean that entire place of all dust and potential asbestos before thinking about growing anything down there. Definitely a great space once you're done but yeah, take your time and do it right. :D

MrBomDiggitty

Veteran
What is this about the home owners insurance paying for it? What do I tell them when I call? Old furnace w/asbestos tape, want it removed for health reasons?

MrBomDiggitty

Veteran
This totally sucks that there is this cancerous dust in my desired growing spot. A few weeks back the guy at the hydro store told me to "just take a sledge hammer to it a couple of times." Good thing I didn't just listen to the first person who gave me advice, geez.

My next question while I wait for the guy to arrive with the free estimate, is this:

What if I had taken this first bit of advice and totally knocked the furnace out myself and set up a grow op? Aside from the particles I inhale personally, what about the buds?

Basically, how could anyone defend against smoking asbestos laden marijuana besides only smoking their own where they know the conditions shit was grown?

Seems like I came pretty close to cultivating some toxic smoke.

I N Hail

Veteran
If it is asbestos and you was to breath it in you could end up be takeing meds and doing
beathing treatment's like me. I was exsposed in 1978 and took years to show.

I would have it tested before doing anything. Homes built after about 1980
wouldn't have AB used in it. not to say some cont.ppl were still using up their stock.

Once it is removed and area cleaned you/bud's wont have anything to worry about.

PeaceINH