What's new

Help save the Honey bees

The funny thing is even though honey bee's are dieing off here in the states when it comes right down to it bee keepers don't want them.....I know of 2 seperate hives in the last 2 yrs that moved into the siding of houses and when local bee keepers were called they either wanted nothing to do with getting them or wanted a $200 removal fee..The siding on both houses was going to be replaced and the keepers were told you can do whatever you need to get the bees.

They're keepers, not exterminators. I'd charge too, they're not exterminators...... :nanana:

Kooza

They're keepers, not exterminators. I'd charge too, they're not exterminators...... :nanana:

I realize they are not exterminators HOWEVER,,,,,If I was really into something,,,be it as a business or for personal pleasure,,,If someone callled me and said I have "X" that you are into and you can come get it for free but its going to take a few hours work to get it out,,,I would be there doing what it took to get it...I have dropped hives in boxes and I have been around some bee keeping in my life (far from a pro) and I know it would have taken some work but if these bee keepers realize honey bees are dying at alarming rates one would think they would take every hive they could get...I dunno, not really into arguing this..I just found it amazing that ppl who make a business or hobby from something wouldnt do a little work for a FREE addition to their collection.

beek

I realize they are not exterminators HOWEVER,,,,,If I was really into something,,,be it as a business or for personal pleasure,,,If someone callled me and said I have "X" that you are into and you can come get it for free but its going to take a few hours work to get it out,,,I would be there doing what it took to get it...I have dropped hives in boxes and I have been around some bee keeping in my life (far from a pro) and I know it would have taken some work but if these bee keepers realize honey bees are dying at alarming rates one would think they would take every hive they could get...I dunno, not really into arguing this..I just found it amazing that ppl who make a business or hobby from something wouldnt do a little work for a FREE addition to their collection.

Ok let me explain a little.

First of all it is not free. It takes driving and it takes hours to cut out all the comb, gather all bees and then attach that cut comb to frames. It is a lot of work and very stressful. Bees become really agitated when you take their nest apart like that ( totally different than just inspectiong colonies or manipulating hives ). It seems you don't really realize what has to be done to take the whole colony alive and well to your beeyard from a building cut out.

A colony costs from $50-100 ( depends where you live and how much bees you want ) so 100 or so bucks for couple of hours of very, very risky doing is cheap in my book. Certainly don't think you are doing beekeepers a favor if they cut out a colony from your home.

Second. I got calls for swarms that were simple to pick BUT had to refuse since my colonies also swarm and am overwhelmed in the spring. You also have to have extra equipment to put those colonies in. It can be resources issue.

I understand that from where you are standing it maybe seems strange that no one will pick it up but from where I stand it seems reasonable.

Kooza

Beek you ever drop a swarm from a limb onto a white sheet with the box on one end? They almost single file right to the box like the pied piper is playing to them...Pretty cool...I've done it a couple times...My grandfather use to get swarms in the spring from the trees in his orchard.

beek

Beek you ever drop a swarm from a limb onto a white sheet with the box on one end? They almost single file right to the box like the pied piper is playing to them...Pretty cool...I've done it a couple times...My grandfather use to get swarms in the spring from the trees in his orchard.

Collecting natural swarms and cutting out colony from the wall are two completely different things.

I wrote in my previous message that I had to decline offer for collecting swarms because I have enough of my own and for a beekeeper it can become equipment, place issue. There is just so many colonies one place will hold and there is just so much equipment you have at the moment and it can become crowded and no room for extra beehives at one place.

itisme

Veteran
Thx for all the info and such a great thread! I hope to fix up my yard next year and I will do so with your info in mind!

maryjohn

Veteran
Attracting Bees
ttp://www.powen.freeserve.co.uk/Naturepets/bees/bees.htm

Gardening to Attract Butterflies
http://www.powen.freeserve.co.uk/Naturepets/Butterflys/butterflys.htm

Everyone in North America, PLEASE ignore the planting suggestions in the butterfly link. Butterfly bush is a big no-no if you are trying to help the native butterfly population (It's on the do not plant list here). Many native butterflies have special relationships with native plants, and it isn't good to crowd out the native flora with invaders. Your garden is often an oasis for these animals, so choose your plants wisely.

belfast

Everyone in North America, PLEASE ignore the planting suggestions in the butterfly link. Butterfly bush is a big no-no if you are trying to help the native butterfly population (It's on the do not plant list here). Many native butterflies have special relationships with native plants, and it isn't good to crowd out the native flora with invaders. Your garden is often an oasis for these animals, so choose your plants wisely.

As you have said that advice is for the British Isles, not North America.

John Allen

IMG_2010.jpg

been a beekeeper for over 25 years= seen or had most of the problems = been having a hard time overwintering bees these last few years, not really sure why, there's NO WAY bumble bees could pollinate what the honey bees do , 35-40% of all crops grown in the US . removed a swarm from inside building last week, charged nothing, just wanted bees, next day owner gave me check for $300, SWEET

maryjohn

Veteran
been a beekeeper for over 25 years= seen or had most of the problems = been having a hard time overwintering bees these last few years, not really sure why, there's NO WAY bumble bees could pollinate what the honey bees do , 35-40% of all crops grown in the US . removed a swarm from inside building last week, charged nothing, just wanted bees, next day owner gave me check for $300, SWEET

most bumble bees pollinate even more efficiently than honey bees. So they could easily replace honey bees, and farmers don't care about honey, so a cheaper, easier to care for, more efficient pollinator would suit them just fine.

Using bumble bees to do the job would require adjusting the business model and paying closer attention to local environmental concerns, but it would work as it already does for many farmers.

Latest posts

Latest posts