What's new

Help me sharpen my knives!!

dragongrower

hey everybody.
not sure if this thread belongs in the outdoor thread, but I just got a sharpening stone from my old man.
It has two different kind of stones, but they seem to be the same fineness/roughness..

I tried searching the almighty google for clues on how to do it, but I just cant seem to make the knife really sharp..

Maybe the stone is not fine enough??

Any help is much appreciated... :)

regards,

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
i believe he gave you a wet stone

[YOUTUBEIF]tYG6Wffjbrs[/YOUTUBEIF]

[youtubeif]XElP0vOUFyw[/youtubeif]

P

pine boy

Investigate the Lansky system.It has a clamp and slides to make shapening knives easy.

Hoots

To sharpen a knife properly you will need more than a two-sided stone. Stone works well for emergency touch ups but more care for proper sharpness( better it is done the longer the edge lasts)

Cheapest method is wet and dry sandpaper. Lay a strip on a bit of wet safety glass where it will stick with water tension and sharpen knife from there. If it is really blunt start around 60/80 grit( that's UK sandpaper size) and work down to 2000/3000 in at least 5 stages of grit. The more the better! As a rough guide you are ready to move on when the scartches left from last grit are gone. For really sharp go all the way to 10,000 ( some japanese waterstones are down to 24,000 grit but will cost you a mortage to afford!)

dragongrower

hey all!
Thanks for your replies!
I tried doing it like in the link with the chef, and that already worked very good!
The knives have become so much sharper, it really become fun to be in the kitchen, just cuttind all kind of stuff up!! :D

thanks for that! :D

Pig Pen

Hey I heard the USMC is giving two year seminars on knife sharpening.

They'll actually pay you and you get free room and board, too! :biggrin:

G

Guest 226076

sharpening a knife by hand is a art in itself.practice and learn the feel of the blade on the stone,angel and pressure.happy trails.......

Danks2005

Once you get it sharpened on your stone, you can keep it very sharp by honing it with the ceramic filiment inside an HPS lamp. I can shave cleanly with my 3.5" buck knife. At work guys give me their knives to take home and sharpen for them. I do not use a wet stone, just the cheap diamond stones you can get at any sporting good stores or walmart or wherever, after getting it as sharp as possible on the stone, I put it on the filiment to finish. When done the knives are extremely sharp. As far as the angle and pressure, it will come with practice.

wantaknow

ruger 500
Veteran
different typs of metal sharpen with differt things ,like my damaskus knife it will sharpen to a razors dege with just a fine bastard file while the stainless blades like the diamond hone

It could also be an oil stone which uses an oil to help in grinding the edge. To have a really sharp knife get a diamond stick which will make your blades sharp enough to shave with.

B

bonecarver_OG

Tormek is the best darn knife/tool sharpener there is.. get one of those and u can sharpen anything.. its the best tool in my workshop!

WelderDan

Veteran
I use a whet stone if it's real dull. I usually move up to a ceramic rod, or the top edge of a car window works too for a finer edge. Once she's pretty sharp, it's on to a leather strop. A good leather belt works fine.

My dad use to say there's no tool more useless than a dull knife. When I was a kid, he'd say "let me see your pocket knife." He'd check to see how sharp it was, and if it wasn't up to snuff, I had to sharpen it until it met his approval.

I loves me a good knife.

MJBadger

Veteran
To get that real sharp edge don`t forget to get the correct angle either . That is where Lansky helps but if you have enough practice you can do it by eye .
I whet/oil mine after a diamond rod then leather strop it . If a leather strop sharpens up a cut-throat in the barbers it will do any good edge .
Most difficult knife i ever bought was a Chris Reeves aviator that needed chemical sharpening , beautifull edge razor sharp but put it in the cupboard for a few month & it had gone blunt then needed posting off for another sharpen . Sold it & now keep to good steel i can sharpen & not K Bar .

Need to state what you think your knives are made of. ..? Unless I missed it ,it depends if your knives are a composite of stainless , or mostly iron,...? for instance mostly iron knife will sharpen with a wet stone. My dad would take a very fine wet sand paper type of cloth with his "Buck knife" used to polish auto body work on a car and stretch it out on a block of wood and make sure its wet with water (very fine wet dry paper) and pull it towards him very lightly one side then the other..It's sort of a skill...Could shave with it as per previous post.

When your HPS bulbs go bad take the Long white thing inside of it out. It is one of the best things to put a finished edge on a blade of worthy metal!.