What's new

Help me pick some males

Help me pick some males

• Total voters

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
This is my first real foray into pollen chuckin. Hoping to get some experienced heads in here to comment on which of the following will make good candidates to mate with a bunch of clone onlys.

I'm not looking for "one is taller than the other" as that much I can deduce by myself. I know a picture only tells so much but maybe a few of these might stand out

First a picture of my cockfest... I had 12 to choose from and limited it down to the following candidates.

picture.php

I have 3 D-King males to choose one, or if I MUST, two. What is D-King you say? D-King is a JJ offering made of Elvis x Double Dawg. I have big plans for the chosen male.

I would like to use the D-King on all sorts of different cuts. From Sativas like SAGE and cannalope haze to cuts like "The White" and Tahoe Og, pre 98 bubba.

Let me know which one(s) you think

IN ORDER: #2, #3, #1 (stupid order I know)

picture.php

First.. #2

This one is definitely the least compact and seems to branching well. Much longer internodal spacing. Smell is aobut the same on all 3 so that's not a good deciding point. If i were to guess i'd say this might be a double dawg dominant male?? Any thoughts??

picture.php

# 3

This one and the next one both seem to be more indica dominant and the most compact, but with longer branches than #1. Maybe more Elvis dominant?

picture.php

This one is in the middle and has the shortest branches.

picture.php

now my basic logic tells me to go with the first one, #3 because it seems to be a bit more vigorous and less compact which would be great for cuts like the white, Royal kush, pre98. But the more compact one seems to be more suited to the og, sage, ecsd..?? Sound right?? HELPPP!!!:)

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
That one ^^^ it's the most compact and the healthiest :D :canabis:

Hey thanks for the quick response. Interesting pick doc! In your experinece are compact males generally better? Or in other words, what makes you think this one is the best?

They all seemed equally healthy to me, but maybe you're seeing something I'm not. Excited as hell to get this going :wave:

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That plant has nice leafs,, that's why.. and that side branch ,, will hopefully pass the side-branch thing onto your hybrid,,, which makes cloning future plants simple,, without detracting from the statue :D

We once had x100 BubbleDust males to select from.. they were all so similar that we needed to look at stuff beyond the normal male context. Thus I cannot fully explain why,, it's now intuition,, but that one is the plant i'd select from your plants for breeding with.

(someone else will have totally different reasons why you shouldn't,, such is the beauty of nature)

ALL the BEST with your breeding project... keep us updated :yes:

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
same as docleaf

Sweet

That plant has nice leafs,, that's why.. and that side branch ,, will hopefully pass the side-branch thing onto your hybrid,,, which makes cloning future plants simple,, without detracting from the statue :D

We once had x100 BubbleDust males to select from.. they were all so similar that we needed to look at stuff beyond the normal male context. Thus I cannot fully explain why,, it's now intuition,, but that one is the plant i'd select from your plants for breeding with.

(someone else will have totally different reasons why you shouldn't,, such is the beauty of nature)

ALL the BEST with your breeding project... keep us updated :yes:

Hey man this is just the help I was looking for, thanks :tiphat:

If you don't mind taking the time?..

In your experience, in the f1 generation of two compact parents, do you see a low population of non-compact plants? In other words is that not something likely to be brought out more in the f2 generation? if I'm thinking correct then the f1 population should represent mom, dad or a hybrid, not express a lot of the "hidden" traits..

Reason I ask is i have a pre 98 x rez chemdog bx1 hybrid (BubbaD) that I love. This plant is like pre 98 on steroids with a kushy rubber dank smell. I'd like to maybe find some plants that are similar to this bubba d cross and like the genetics in the d-king.

Maybe i'll try and figure out how to put a poll.

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
Also here is a williams wonder x killer chem male that I had selected the opposite way, it was the tallest and most vigorous compared to other shorter bushy males.. Maybe I should have gone with the smaller ones..

by way of Paco

picture.php

And this... This is something i couldn't pass up. There is already a nice killer chem male floating around but I popped the other 5 of the original pack of killer chems and this male stood out big time because it absolutely reeks! It smells straight on 80 day sour diesel with a little guava smell mixed in. It is the strongest smelling male or female in veg I've ever encountered. Maybe this would be a better candidate for a similar plant to the bubba D.

picture.php

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran

No problem on time,, that's what I's here for :D

In your experience, in the f1 generation of two compact parents, do you see a low population of non-compact plants?

Yes. that depends on the stability of the genetics you are working with. If the plants are indica ,, then they should ALL be short and compact... you may see taller plants,, all depends on how stable/homogeneous the plants were that made the IBL parents were.

GDS Angel Dust and GDS Bubble Dust are the only truly domesticated in-bred-lines / homogeneous varieties we have worked with... everything else displayed bounce / dramatic variation in lineage.

if I'm thinking correct then the f1 population should represent mom, dad or a hybrid, not express a lot of the "hidden" traits..

Yes. you are on the right lines,,, a true F1 Hybrid displays plants with traits that are : 25% like mom. 25% like dad, and 50% hybrid. The 50% in the middle are the plants breeders work towards F2. (rememebr the display is only as consistant as the stability of the (preferably IBL) parents.

Yes. the F2 generation will display traits passed on from grandma and granddad ,, from both sides of the parents.. as well as the hybrids. With poly-hybrids this means that only a few plants in the garden will ever look the same... People then clone one of the plants and give it a fancy name.. lol

Breeding should be FUN, interesting, sustainable, and of cultural benefit to future generations of growers. Then you cant grow wrong :D

Stay mindful :canabis:

RAGGA MON

MAKE A TING
Veteran
I like the look of #3 the most....nice indica leafs...looks the most symmetrical to me...dunno my brain just works like that. I would use #2 on slower shorter plants like bubba....hopefully pass on some traits like vigor, more stretch, more side branching..etc
To be honest all males should be used and kept till some offspring have been grown out, giving you the proof in the pudding.
Its all about the time and the passion baby
one time,
ragga

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
I like the look of #3 the most....nice indica leafs...looks the most symmetrical to me...dunno my brain just works like that. I would use #2 on slower shorter plants like bubba....hopefully pass on some traits like vigor, more stretch, more side branching..etc
To be honest all males should be used and kept till some offspring have been grown out, giving you the proof in the pudding.
Its all about the time and the passion baby
one time,
ragga

Sweet. Just to double check do you mean the 3rd plant listed or plant #3?

I should have lined them up to begin with

P

Paco

maybe keep em all, them make f2's and pull a male from that.
and the KC male.... NICE!!!!

Super.Seeds

ICMag Donor
I read in a DJ Short's book that he culls very early declared males as they usually don't give quality to the cross that he looks for (whatever that means). He also culls ones that grow too tall or too fast because he believes that the tall plants dedicate too much energy to fiber production (hemp leaning maybe?). He says that: Just like with female cannabis plants, when we look for males we want compact, tight, highly productive clusters of flowers. Not lanky/airy/loose structure. He does the "scratch-n-sniff" technique of rubbing the stems for aroma and flavor and looks for a stinky one.

It all sounds good coming from DJ but I read in the Breeder's Bible that male selection is blind until you grow out the cross it produced to see if any special qualities you were looking for were passed on. I like the one labeled #3. It seems to have the best mix of the three plants...Short and squat but with nice branching and symmetrical as RAGGA MON mentioned. Which of the two smaller plants smells the best when you rub their stems? Test one plant with your right hand and one with the left so you don't get them confused! :D Since you have 3 males why not use pollen from all 3?...It will give greater diversity to the crosses. I have yet to chuck any pollen but I have been doing my homework...Reading a bunch of great books and I can't wait to get started. I hope you document your journey! :dance013:

SS

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Its all about the time
and the passion baby
one time,
ragga

It's the only way you'll ever be certain which is your best boy :hide: .....still, all your plants are beautifully grown, whichever you choose he will be in perfect condition, best of luck.

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Once you get them flowering out a little more the smells from the males should become a little more defined. Basically I like to select ones that have a good structure (which could mean anything depending on what you are looking for), and a good aroma. I don't usually worry too much about early flowering males unless they auto or something like that. I'm certainly no expert, and Ragga offers some good advice if you have the space/time. Also if you are planning on working some lines I would use all the males, then you would have a really nice variety to select through. If it's more of a one-off situation pick the bad boy that you get the best vibe from. I think you've got an eye for good plants ;)

Edit**
FWIW I would pick the one shown in the center, all other things being equal.

picture.php

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
Awesome everyone thank you! I would love to keep all three males, and usethem all, but I am limited to a rubbermaid "marlo man cave" for my males. I HAVE to keep the killerchem male and need to eliminate at leasto ne of the D-kings. I think the max amount of plant s i'll be able to fit in there is 3. Even then I'mgonna have to put them in smaller pots, trim roots and top heavily.

I would love to add some height and vigor to some of my squatty strains, which leans me towards plant #2. But the killerchem male would probably accomplish this as well so maybe I will just go with one of the squat D-Kings and the killer chem.

It's interesting that barely anyone has chosen the plant that docleaf picked out.. I would assume that he has the most experience selecting males (especially form large populations) out of the people that have responded.

I initially was like all the others and liked D-king #3 and #2 the best, but I'm wondering if maybe Doc is on to something:thinking:

burningfire

Veteran
why don't you pollenate different branches with different males?

what are your intentions with this?