What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

help me choose a digital camera..

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
what kinda camera do i need to take pictures of the trichomes looking like mushrooms

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Here's a websit that will tell you all you need to know and then some. They don't sell and the info is very non-biased.

If your budget is about 5 bucks, which is what mine was, you may want to look at the Pentax SLR line. I bought one of their entry-level SLRs with a lens for right about that price. You can usually find a rebate offer right at the Pentax website. Simce I bought it, I've added a couple of lens and an additional off-camera high power flash. I'm one happy camper!

Don't bother looking at the pic's in my gallery, I take those with a cheap Point-and-Shoot.

Edit: Here's a link to the Pentax at a dealer I've bought from several times with no problems...

http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=PKK110D1855

There are several models of this camera, this is on the lower end, but it is equivilant to the one I bought.

Last edited:
G

That S3Is looks like one bad ass camera! I need a digi cam too, and that looks very promising. Only th8ing I dont like to much like yummy said is that it is very bulky, I will have to look into the camera's yummy recommended later. Off to school unfortunatly :( bye~

Yellowmoon

Canon lenses are just the best thing there is in the consumer class. You can't go wrong with their line... great colors and all. I have a Sony and it's a good retro camera but it just doesn't match the general quality. Stating the obvious, but if you like making bud shots, check its macro features carefully. :joint:

Nikijad4210

Veteran
I have to agree with the Canon suggestions. Canon's a damn well built, high quality brand of camera, they last a LONG time, film & digital cameras alike. I can't remember what model it was, but when my dad bought his Canon years ago in the mid-70's, it cost him a pretty penny (film) FYI, my dad used to have a dark room & developed his own pictures in the 80's (when I was a young youngin) Photography was his hobby, and he didn't settle for a second-rate camera.
However, it lasted him close to 25 years without having a single problem. The only problem I'm having with it (he passed it on to me) is with the shutter--only opens half way. Eventually, I'll get it fixed, but I have a digtial for now that I recieved for christmas, and it suits me a-ok. Also, considering how many times the telephoto lens has been dropped, it's in perfect condition, not even so much as one scratch on it yet.

He's got a digital Canon now---well, a few, actually. He buys a new one every couple of years, but never throws out the old ones. His oldest digital was one of the first digital Canons put on the market, either in the very late 80's or very early 90's (hard to remember now) and it still works perfectly.

POP

here ya are ramotyis! the phone was £200

couple pics with macro mode.
im sure i can improve on these with little practice.
but not bad for first pics!

treehuggers

Now let's get real. Phone pictures? No offense, but I say :puke:

Phones arent made for photographing... I dont know where people get these ideas.

G

treehuggers said:
Now let's get real. Phone pictures? No offense, but I say :puke:

Phones arent made for photographing... I dont know where people get these ideas.

Same reason why a mp3 player would play video...

Completly agree, but you have to admit those pics he took have to be the best looking pics ive seen from a camera phone!

G

thanks for all the replies guys...
im thinking canon for sure...s3is or the g-7...not wanting a slim model so bulkiness is no propblem...only set back to s3is is the flip out display...not saying its a bad thing ,but wanting screen on back...the s3is takes some amazing pics..but i love the retro look of the g-7..and ive seen it priced between 500 and 390...is there a reputable site were i can order through..?
thanks again..i do appreciate it.

G

hey pop...awesome pics via a camera phone not bad at all...thanks for that but i just got rid of my cell...pain in the ass but good in some situations...i'l propbaly get another and i will keep that model in mind...thanks man.

G

You know what I hate? Why do they never tell you the freakin battery life? That is a huge concern to me and they never let you know!

Creeptic

i love my Canon PowerShot540

i wish i would of gotten the next model up tho... the 540 macro can focus as close as 5cm... but the next model up can macro as close as 1cm... macro shots would of been even better

here are some shots with the 540

8720sadhud48b.jpg

G

hey thanks for everyones input i really appreciate it...it was a perplexing choice due to all the suggestions...and models,features..prices..ect.
just want to achieve the best i can photographically...ive always loved taken pictures..just not of cannabis,but of life in general..
ive choosen the canon g-7...wish i can afford top of the line slr but way to many dollars.
i hope i can bring what i see in my minds eye to you...time will tell..
thanks again...