What's new

Help!!! just found eggs!

Sideways

Cuddy- Have quite a bit of experience growing outdoors; also with and the caterpillars/budworms- They are bastards! Can ruin/crap in/cause mold in up to 50% of your outdoor crops if not handled early.I have used BT and Spinosad. Spinosad seemed to work well ( better than the BT, BT works OK but breaks down in sunlight), applied a few times when buds begin to form into the early stages of bud growth. I usually apply 2 times/week up to a month before harvest. You have to keep them from getting a foothold early.
This year I have switched to a different product- Azatrol. It is primarily used to controlling mites and is expensive but can be used as a systemic/foliar spray in controlling all kinds of pests, it is an insect growth inhibitor and deterrent. Has been proven quite safe and is very popular in my area- NORCAL. I will stop applying 4 weeks from harvest...... will repost with results. Good luck.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
IMO, once flower begins it is time to stop using oils, unless it is absolutely infected at that point. The oil will smother and kill the larva, but leaves a very nasty smelling/tasting residue. Not a big problem early on, as rain can wash it off...but later it tends to stick to buds and taste nasty. Real nasty.

Spinosad, as buzzmobile suggested would also be my suggestion. It is completely organic, and goes away fast. It will not kill the eggs, and the caterpillars will actually need to eat some leaf with the stuff on it, but it will for sure rid the flowering plant of worms.
Use it for a few days straight a dusk.

If you need a pesticide during flower, I always suggest washing your buds at harvest. It won't hurt them at all to dunk and swish in a bucket of clean water, or clean off with a garden hose before hanging.