What's new

Help ! First A Male now showing preflowers, can I breed still

The BD females stays clean if you don't stress her. I understand you can sexually reverse any cannabis plant, males and females.

Yes, you can sexually reverse any cannabis plant with chemicals or hormones, but not every plant is prone to stress hermies. There are tons of stable varieties from back in the day that didn't herm even under ridiculous stress. Altering RNA to reverse sex is one thing, but truly stable females and males won't reverse themselves.

With your BD being genetically able to reverse itself due to stress means that it's not super stable, and that of course when you breed it to another herm prone line, that it'll produce high amounts of herms.

Sorry, but bunch of "name dropping" and list of credentials doesn't prove anything to me. I don't worship rock stars, filmstars, politicians nor cannabis breeders/growers, and know very few of them.

Hahaha, that's a great mindset. While I don't worship or even come close with the Rev or any other breeder, I do know how to take advice from those who've contributed high quality, stable genetics to this world.

If credentials and history with the plant don't matter to you, would you hire a person whose never grown before to run a large scale grow?

If yes, what are you going by, character? I know alot of great characters that are terrible growers. So in this world, having done great things for the community should matter.

What about when you're considering running genetics, do you just go by feeling, or do you go with breeders whose work has been shown to be stable? Oh wait obviously not or you wouldn't have been running two herm prone lines that were known to be and then breeding them together.... Ever ran KOS or DJ's gear? They're insanely stable, which is why I'd take the advice of others who came before me, not just wing it all the time...

Here's Rev again. Read it. Why is he talking about "nothing being failsafe" and possible "unfavorable results" if this tranny-claim would be a proven fact?

"Nothing is a failsafe and whenever messing with something as complex as hermaphrodites, you can experience unfavorable results."

But perhaps some genetic disorder is possible, i dunno. That quote by him just doesn't fully convince me.

He added this because unfortunately if you don't, than the idiots who tried using a true hermie male instead of the trasvestite, that produced unfavorable results would be blamed on him. You have to account for user error and in an industry that's only in the infancy of genetic testing for breeding (and was basically non-existent when that was written)... Most breeding practices in cannabis are anecdotal and nothing in life is fail-safe, that's all he was saying. I would trust him less if he said this was 100% guaranteed, cause nothing is, especially in cannabis breeding.

At the time that was written, no one was able to access labs to test the RNA of every plant, and it's still in it's infancy and we've barely mapped the cannabis genome genetically, with little understanding of it even now. So of course it's not a proven fact, but when two well known breeders suggest this practice as producing favorable results, I see no reason to ignore good advice because of some weird ego trip.

..and now this talk that the "plant has to sexually reverse after 4 weeks otherwise it doesn't work" seems abit weird also, but what do i know, this was the first time i heard about this.

What I'm saying is that if it were truly a tranny, it would show it's tendency to produce pistils slightly after the balls develop but not before they drop, and by 6 weeks, the pollen is already dropping..

I have no interest to argue this any further. If Rev's right and i'm wrong, no worries.
But there should be a scientific explination to this supposed phenomenon, not just made-up concept of "tranny plants" = every cannabis plant can be sexually reversed, i understand. It's a survival mechanism of cannabis.

There is definitely a scientific explanation for it a set of plants that aren’t under stress, aren’t doing things out of weird survival mechanisms, one side is male leaning female, the other is female leaning male, putting them together makes complete logical sense to get back to the middle... But like I said before, no breeding practice is 100% scientifically explainable with cannabis yet, we've barely scratched the surface of RNA in cannabis and we don't even understand most of that data. But real world experience from people like DJ and Rev is pretty valuable to just ignore out of some fear of producing something bad, and not testing the theory.

I didn't see a serious seeds bubblegum male that didn't get hairs on his balls, lol... Dj Short said to keep them, they would create a higher female ratio than normal in the offspring. It's everyone's turn to try this hack out or not.

Thanks for bringing that up guy, DJ was the other person I couldn’t think of when I remembered this. I knew the knowledge was common among breeders but I couldn’t remember where. I haven’t ever grown Serious’s bubblegum, but if it is common, it explains why a lot of other breeders use that line commonly and have high female populations in the progeny. Most bubblegum crosses are pretty stable from what I’ve seen over the years, maybe this is why.

i haven't seen huge number of males like some
but i have seen 2 males from that number that could be put in the transvestite group
which does conflict with it being a very rare trait
lots of males are tossed without a second look, maybe it's not so rare

It might not be rare in certain lines, but overall it’s pretty uncommon, at least to the extent that it’s not been fully documented but i’ve only seen one or two in 12 years of growing/breeding. So it’s not super well known at the very least. To me it seems like a good time to test it. If 3 breeders whose gear is stable and has great female-to-male ratios, and they suggest it, I’m gonna at least take it into account, not just dismiss that knowledge.

-Life

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
DSC_0412.jpg

Here's the page from Djs book where it's mentioned...would be nice to be able to rotate pics on here.

Bubblegum may be somehow stable for stature and potency but when the certain smell is missing, i don't know. You can't tell people you used bubblegum in your projects because they will ask you where the bubblegum smell is...I think that's why Serious S. are testing new parents right now...

cronicle

I know this was a male first, not only a average male , has smell , it was after some feeding
The pistils had shown almost growing through the balls.
I only had this one before, like I said the seeds were all strong coverd in resin. It's worth a try. I got these buds , last winter in Jamaica this was some of the best weed I came across the whole six monhs I was there

View attachment 425215

Here's the page from Djs book where it's mentioned...would be nice to be able to rotate pics on here.

Bubblegum may be somehow stable for stature and potency but when the certain smell is missing, i don't know. You can't tell people you used bubblegum in your projects because they will ask you where the bubblegum smell is...I think that's why Serious S. are testing new parents right now...

Thanks for posting that man, I lost my copy of that book years ago, but glad to see someone's keeping hold of it, haha. It's kinda sad that Serious didn't breed for the same traits that THSeeds did, I've seen multiple people run there's and it's definitely more accurate in terms of taste (on the female side anyways) to the Indiana Bubblegum clone. Unfortunately a lot of males do only tend to pass on stature and potency more so than flavor (at least in my experience), but some strains definitely have more dominant traits in the smell/taste department, kinda just depends on how they bred it and what specifically for. Bubblegum's history in general is a complete mess and I don't think Simon at Serious was trying at all to get what Adam at TH was, which I do feel is closer to the original. All depends on what they were selecting for, they might not have been trying to make that taste true breeding for all I know. haha

I know this was a male first, not only a average male , has smell , it was after some feeding
The pistils had shown almost growing through the balls.
I only had this one before, like I said the seeds were all strong coverd in resin. It's worth a try. I got these buds , last winter in Jamaica this was some of the best weed I came across the whole six monhs I was there

Sounds amazing, can't wait to hear the results, hopefully it can maybe even help dispell the "myth" of it's possibilities. I just wish Jamaican genetics hadn't been so diluted by outsiders (mostly dutch) bringing in genetics and allowing them to get bred in. But their buds were always different and top notch, so regardless it should be good. Hopefully you find somethin special.

-Life

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DJ Short didn't have the luxury of DNA analysis when he came to his conclusions.

Phylos labs will DNA test a plant & tell you if it's male or female. They cannot, however, distinguish between female & hermaphrodites.

What does this say?

ALL HERMAPHRODITES ARE CONFUSED FEMALES.

There is no such thing as a reverse hermaphrodite!

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
DJ Short didn't have the luxury of DNA analysis when he came to his conclusions.

Phylos labs will DNA test a plant & tell you if it's male or female. They cannot, however, distinguish between female & hermaphrodites.

What does this say?

ALL HERMAPHRODITES ARE CONFUSED FEMALES.

There is no such thing as a reverse hermaphrodite!

Then, from your logic, the Bubblegum consists only of females and hermies and no males at all. I don't second this view because they first showed lots of pollen sacks when later pistils came out. This was consistent over two packs. But I will take on further advice with some hard evidence.