What's new

Help choosing my grow area

Whipit

My new medical registration will allow me to have up to 12 plants and 2.5 oz. legally. I've never grown indoors before. I intend to go with a hydroponic system, probably homemade ebb and flow. I have three choices for my room(s). Part of this decision will involve trying to stay within the limits of the law and maintaining a constant supply, so I will have to choose a single room, or a vegetative room and a budding room. I live alone, so I could use two of the available rooms, split one, or use a single room for complete grow cycles. A single grow room would cause a legal dried product overage issue. I'm leaning toward keeping a couple of mother plants and clones going, while I'm budding out a few ounces of dried product. But, I don't know squat.

I have a ground floor, tiled room with a floor drain. I could add a wall to create a 4'X8', with a 9' ceiling. I would have to exhaust this room(s) into my garage.

The 2nd story has a full bath, tiled floor. I could remove the vanity/sink. This has a ceiling exhaust. 5'X11' (including tub/shower that could be used) - only a 6'6" ceiling.

Attic space - probably too hot in summer, sloping ceiling, 7' at best. Water leak would do major damage. Plywood floor with about 13'X8' of usable space. This is out of the way and added ventilation and safety precautions for leaks could be added. To be practical, I would also probably have to add plumbing and a tub for water.

Would two 4'X4' rooms be large enough for the number of plants that I will be dealing with? Should I build the 4'X8' room and use the 2nd floor tub? Do something with the unused attic space? Find a caregiver and keep buying it, like I've been doing illegally?

Thanks.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Part of this decision will involve trying to stay within the limits of the law

That could be a problem. I pulled close to 1/2 pound (over 4 oz water cured) from a single plant under a 250 in a 22x29x54 inch space. I'm buried alive.

Keeping a 4x4 tent under 2.5 ounces? You'll have to throw out 80-90% of your grow. If you want to stay under the limit, you may want to look into PC grows. That or just stay underground.

Whipit

That's all I needed to know to get started! Thanks!

I can worry about lights, ventilation . . . after I build two 4'X4' rooms. Works great, because I figured out how to semi-heat my garage in winter with a nice odor and can vent it out of the garage when desired.

I would like to have the air intake flow through the (4'X4') budding room, into the vegetative room and out. This would move warm air into the vegetative room, which may help in Michigan winters. Yes, no? both 4'X4' rooms could have separate intakes and exhausts. Intakes would be room temperature.

One thing to consider, shared air flow, equals shared potential : powdery mildew, spider mites, or other unwanted issues. I'd keep all air flow, seperate, and use two seperate rooms.