What's new

Help! Can't seem to get rid of these gnats

Norkali

My fungus gnats were immune to mosquito dunks

The BTi (active ingredient,) was probably expired...did you get the dunks at a big box store by chance? Or an Ace/Osh type of place? If so, that may be why your dunks weren't effective.

Same thing happened to me, but I got some 'fresh' dunks and they worked beautifully.

Another thing, mosquito dunks take a number of weeks to completely work - the dunks DO NOT kill the adults, only their larvae. This is why yellow sticky traps are a common combination w/ dunks - to eradicate both stages of life of the gnats.

:smoke:

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Outside the box stuff right there

I like it! You serious right? lol Wouldn't loose steel wool hurt roots? Or is that just not happening.
And how many plants do you have when you do this, and do you put the steel wool on, say..every 3 or 4 plants or all? Id like to get more sadistic if possible. Ill even where a ball gagger and a gimp mask while I do this if I have to.

I do apologize for the delayed response. Been busier than a friday night street ho around here the past several days.
So to answer your question-
i put it on all the plants. When i first did this I had 5 plants on a 2x4 and 8 plants on a 4x4. I wanted to wipe them all out and not leave a safe have for a single one of the flying fuckers in the form of an uncovered container.
I use a coco/perlite mix in 2 gallon smart pots. I did cover every bit of the top of the coco with the steel wool to make sure the black plague couldn't enter or exit without crawling through and shredding, excruciatingly painful I hope, every segment of it's miserable existence. I didn't have any problem with the steel wool causing root damage and am not sure if any of it separated from the pad. I had no rusting of the steel wool after a 2 week period either. Although if using this method in soil I'd remove the steel wool from the top before watering and replace after the top layer dried out a bit to avoid the rusting or figure a way to kinda suspend it over the top of the soil pot.
Is this a strange way to get rid of them? Yeah i guess it is. Does it work? Did in my case.
And yeah, I'm an outside the box kinda guy. At least the times when I'm not trying to get back into it!!

Latest posts

Latest posts