MicroBoxBud

Okay, so it goes like this...

Get a pocket hole jig like this
picture.php
and get a saw like this
picture.php

Also a square like this
picture.php
goes a long way towards making perfect straight cuts without an inconvenient and expensive table saw.

Put the square in the track like this
picture.php
and cut your panels and attach them like this
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Also, the cabinet boxes should be assembled by screwing them together directly using these
picture.php

They are self tapping screws that are thin enough to prevent splitting, yet strong enough to hold the cabinetry together, especially since it will be framed. When using the pocket holes I recommend the same screws that are made by that jig manufacturer because they are self tapping and fit the holes perfectly with no chance of popping out the other side as long as you get a multi pack for different types of wood/thickness.

V

Vesuvius

been using a kreg jig for 20 years, most useful tool in my cabinet shop.
good looking sketches man.

vany

Nice designs MicroBoxBud. I must say that I find second design more "stealthy", first of all because TV is there (diverts attention) and a lot of blurays :)

Will doors be from side, like in last picture? For example, to me is very important how big are doors, bigger they are, better for me. More space to work with plants (put them in/out). Or maybe in your case you can use some drawer for pots ;). Then you could slide in and out. This is just my thinking, I know you will find your best variation. :)

havefun!

M

MicroBoxBud

Well, I've never never grown the first plant before, let alone cannabis, and I have never built any furniture before; however, I am a researcher and an Engineer by trade. I've grown tired of entrusting my safety and freedom to a drug dealer because of my preference of intoxicant, thus the box. If this works out as well as I plan for it to, I will have the tools and the know-how to start up a furniture making hobby that will produce a good amount of satisfaction and money on the side.

In fact, if this goes as well as I hope that it does, I may go ahead and cut molds to pour MDF for all the pieces of the prototype and mass produce. The only problem with that is finding a distributor that won't incriminate me.

Currently access is from the sides. The sides of the cabinet are merely illusory and are attached by 4 electronic locks controlled by a computer program that will run on the home theater PC connected to the TV. The flowering opening is 18 inches wide by 30 inches deep. The propagation chamber is 6 inches wide by 18 inches deep. The locks are fail-secure and the ventilation fan will be connected to an uninterruptable power supply to prevent any odor build up in the event that the power is cut or someone cuts power such as maintenance crews.

I am toying with the idea of only having the side where the propagation chamber is pop off. Instead of having access from the side of the flowering chamber I would then make the Cabinets that contain the movies slide to the right a bit and then pop out like this:
picture.php

If I do that, I can still secure the opening with electronically controlled locks; however, it will increase the cost and time to build by almost double.

M

MicroBoxBud

Here's a good way to ensure your cabinet work is square without investing in expensive equipment:

picture.php
picture.php

V

Vesuvius

mbb, you should get the kreg brand visegrips that will clamp the face frame pieces together, this keeps the face pieces held tight so when screwing they stay flush instead of the part recieving the screw tending to pull up.
for around $100 bucks you can get the whole kreg jig #2 kit that has the vise clamp and has the muck nicer and eazier to use kreg jig fixture.

dont buy the kreg jig #3 (newest kreg jig fixture) it costs more and is a pain to use compared to the #2.

hope your box building is as nice as your sketches!!

ves

M

MicroBoxBud

Thanks for the tip on the Kreg #2 Ves, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for :)

Tilt

I'm voting for the vertical pll lamps. Everyone can guess why.

Good luck on the build!!!!