What's new

Help!... baby bird rescue

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so I just now found this fallen baby bird in my yard, i don't wanna just let it die, but i don't know what to do either.

i don't think i can just give it worms as i think they must be regurgitated, plus what about water.

will the animal shelter or pet hospital take it?

thanks,
peace
Infi

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
I would walk away and try my best to forget about it but that's just me.
I've tried my hand at sustaining young wildlife, never came out good.
A shoebox and worms is what I would try but then again, see above.

Infinitesimal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah i tried once when i was like ten, didn't work either.
I'm not getting attached or anything lol... just would rather do something than nothing

thanks
peace

fungzyme

It's mom is probably close by. Best bet IMO is to leave it alone and don't touch it, she may decide to feed it and ward off predators. If you can see the nest and get to it without upsetting the whole nest, you may be able to put gloves on and set it back in the nest.
But whatever you do, don't touch it and get your scent on the bird.

Chronage

Scholastic Warrior
Nice heart you got yourself there. Not sure there's much more you can do then posted above I believe. Don't think animal shelter or pet hospital will take it, it's a wild bird afterall. Good karma for sure.

Nonphixion

I heard it was either sheep's milk or goats' milk you can give to baby wildlife and they'll accept it. It should be at a larger pet or feed store, good luck and don't touch it without gloves, it may have been kicked out of the nest because it had a disease.

Amanita

Ring your local vet or animal shelter and ask if they will take it.

If not, and you're willing to look after it it, then this is what you need to do:

Keep it warm. Find a box and line it with some old clothing. Put the bird in there and swaddle it in the clothing to keep it warm, but don't cover its head so that it can breathe.

To feed it, go buy some tea biscuits (milk arrowroot are good), crush them to powder and then mix with mashed hard boiled eggs and water until it's the consistency of dough. Fashion into small pellet shapes and feed them to the bird. This is caled egg and biscuit mix. You will have to HAND FEED it if you want it to eat, i.e. shove the food right into its open mouth as its mother would, In some cases you will even need to pry open its mouth to do this.

Find out what species it is. If it is insectivorous, go to you local pet shop and buy some insectivore mix. You should then mix this into your egg and biscuit mix as per the directions. If it isn't insectivorous, see what others mixes are present at your pet store and buy the appropriate one.

If it is insectivorous, see if you can also buy meal worms. These can also be fed to it once killed.

Good luck!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There was a reason the mom tossed the baby out of the nest... If they have to many baby's the weakest one gets the boot. I stay out of natures way myself. I only intervene if humans caused something to disrupt the path..

Amanita

Oh yes, and for water, give it small amount via a syringe with no needle. Just dribble the water onto its beak and it should drink what it needs.

Once it is older, it will begin to be able to feed and water itself, but you;re a while off that yet. You will then need to teach it to learn to forage so when you release it back into the wild it doesn't die of starvation.

Amanita

You're assuming it was tossed out of the nest Hammerhead. It may have been blown out. It may have fallen out. You actually have no idea and are basing your advice on assumptions.

Humans are a part of nature, no matter how you look at it.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

go to a bait shop & buy some worms, angle worms, red worms or even wax worms, go ahead and mince some up with one of those cheap but sharp little paring knives and then try feeding your chick off the tip of a dull but pointed knife like an old shitty steak knife, just something that would be tiny enough to proffer each mouthful into its tiny beak.

water? parents can't bring them water I don't think, moisture from worms & bugs are likely all it gets. I could be wrong though.

take some time looking for the nest up in nearby trees, return the chick to the nest first if you can, the theory that parent birds won't feed a chick that's been touched by human hands is bullshit and was probably started to keep kids from screwing with nestlings.

it probably gets many small meals every day and none @ night, it might not survive a daytime work schedule by you.

call around, maybe to your nearest nature center (small & big cities have them) and speak to the person in charge for best advice.

very best of luck to your little friend.......

F

Fred el Gato

It's mom is probably close by. Best bet IMO is to leave it alone and don't touch it, she may decide to feed it and ward off predators. If you can see the nest and get to it without upsetting the whole nest, you may be able to put gloves on and set it back in the nest.
But whatever you do, don't touch it and get your scent on the bird.

:good:

Infinitesimal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for the advise everyone, I was able to get ahold of a pet hospital that deals with a wildlife rescue organization and they said they would take it, so I'm off to do that.
taking care of it myself would have been a neat and rewarding experience but, my plate is rather full right now and, this will definitely be better for the bird.

thanks again,
peace
Infi

Infinitesimal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
they are going to give the bird to some wildlife organization where they will rehab the bird and release it back into my area.

and I'm sure they'll check to make sure its not diseased or anything first.

peace

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You're assuming it was tossed out of the nest Hammerhead. It may have been blown out. It may have fallen out. You actually have no idea and are basing your advice on assumptions.

Humans are a part of nature, no matter how you look at it.

In most cases that is what happens... Its just my opinion. Here is a perfect example.. Just like this situation you find a baby bird that has fallen out of the nest. You check the baby and find no injuries . You have the best intention's and you put the baby back in the nest with the rest of the babies.. Then the birds mom/pop com back and smell you all over the nest. The parents then abandon the nest leaving all of the baby to die because you had the best of intention. This is why I dont touch wildlife unless some asshat human messed up and did something they thought was the right thing to do... Every wildlife expert will tell ya to leave all wildlife alone. So no im not basing my Opinion off of assumption's they are facts. Sure the bird could have fallen out but trying to save something could potentially cause more harm then good...In this case everything seems to have a good ending unfortunately that's not usually the case.. I dont know what you mean by humas are all part of nature..If you mean Humans fukup nature more then tey help I agree 100%

Last edited:
S

SeaMaiden

***EDIT*** I see you went ahead and sent the bird to a rehab facility. Not the action I would have taken, but the very best intentions and I'm sure the bird will be fine.

Hammer, that's actually an old wives tale. The birds don't smell so well, in fact turkey vultures are one of the few species that are known to have a keen sense of smell. What's actually more common is that this is the largest of the nestlings and it tried out its new flight feathers. The parents, even if it's touched by humans, will still care for it if they know where it is.

so I just now found this fallen baby bird in my yard, i don't wanna just let it die, but i don't know what to do either.

View Image

View Image

i don't think i can just give it worms as i think they must be regurgitated, plus what about water.

will the animal shelter or pet hospital take it?

thanks,
peace
Infi
We used to save everything from new-hatched chicks to fledges all the time when I was young, and this one looks VERY close. If it were me, I would make sure the baby is in a safe place (hopefully safe from cats) but nearby where it fell. Its parents know it's gone and where it is, they'll continue feeding it at this point.

See the flight feathers? Chances are very strong that it tried to make its first flight. It's REALLY close to becoming a full fledge. Leave this one be.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Don't care wives tells or not I wont touch any wildlife.. We usually causes more harm then good.. Thats just me though You guys can do what you want. I would not recommend touching any wildlife.. So does the fish and game..

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
i once helped a city sparrow little bird that I found on my terrace. It was hot as hell there, so I gave it water by dripping some on it's beak and provided some shelter from cats and sun. the good part was that the parents were still feeding it (I helped them by putting some earthworms and bread crumbs in a corner). so in about an week it could fly.. happy ending that time, but i usually find them smaller size and dead from the heat or the height they fall from.

that's how the nature works!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do not attempt to keep a wild bird and care for it yourself. In the US, ALL native migratory birds - not just endangered species - are protected under federal law (Migratory Bird Treaty Act), and it is illegal to keep any protected bird unless you have the required permits. Penalties for violating this law include fines of up to $500 and/or up to 6 months in jail for each offense..

Baby birds fledge (leave the nest) several days before they start to fly. They hop around on the ground, and they climb on low branches until their wings are strong enough for them to fly. The parent birds continue to feed and care for the fledglings until they are self-sufficient. If you see a baby bird on the ground, and the bird has most of his feathers, leave him alone. If the most of the feathers are not there a professional should be called to handle the bird

Latest posts

Latest posts