What's new

Hella's 35 gal Rubbermaid grow (336w CFL, Bagseed) *1st Grow*

Mk3Jetta

Nice lookin seedlings man!

If I were you I'd tone down the nutes a tad. Do you feed ever watering? I'd do every other.

definitely dont use full veg nutes yet, unless they are pretty hearty and can take that.

keep growing man and they will produce.

LifeLess

Veteran
Lookin good hella. What nutes are you using and what kind of water? meaning Tap,R/O, distilled?

Hella THC

Nice lookin seedlings man!

If I were you I'd tone down the nutes a tad. Do you feed ever watering? I'd do every other.

definitely dont use full veg nutes yet, unless they are pretty hearty and can take that.

keep growing man and they will produce.

Yeah nutes have been lowered to every other. We'll see if that makes a difference. The OG Retards are getting plain water until they get bigger anyway. The bigger ones are strong enough IMO to take full nutes every other watering. They react well, stay green, and show no signs of burn.

Lookin good hella. What nutes are you using and what kind of water? meaning Tap,R/O, distilled?

Grocery store bought distilled water. GH General Organics nutes. They are brand new. I go over them a little throughout other posts on this thread.

I'll be checking on them tonight. I was out of town over the weekend and they have had a few days all by themselves.

I'll be supercropping tonight I think, and hopefully that will allow for some vigorous growth. If not, I'm excited just to have happy, healthy plants regardless in size. When you pay $60 an eighth of some mediocre stuff, I'm happy to get anything, as it means free smoke for me :D And I'll be happy! :joint:

I'll be inducing November first regardless of how tall they are. I want my own Christmas trees this year :D :woohoo:

Could the stunted growth be genetics? I have no idea what strain this is, or even what generation the seeds are. If these are poor genetics to begin with, and then the possibility of a watered down genetic line, could this explain how they are growing? I'm honestly stumped. :wallbash:

Best,

- Hella

Hella THC

I went out of town Friday and Saturday and didn't get to check on the plants until tonight. They were wilted, but not terribly, and showing definite signs of N deff. So I finally know for sure that overwatering is not an issue. They were fed Friday at about 4 PM. This also shows me that the three bigger ones are requiring veg nutes. So I know I'm doing that part right. They can take it.

I decided to supercrop one of the larger plants. The stock was very thick and hard to pinch, and when it started to give, it gave off the most wonderful skunky smell! :woohoo: It was very strong! Made me excited. I then bent her over ;) and gave them all a good watering and feeding. (The OG Retards are still getting distilled water only, by the way)

I let them sit for an hour and checked on them again, they all had perked right up! The supercropped plant had already straightened itself up. All very good signs. If the supercropping shows to be beneficial, they will all get it! :D

I think they are going to get transplanted this week as well. Just wanted to fill anyone that's following along in.

Have a good night,

- Hella

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Could the stunted growth be genetics? I have no idea what strain this is, or even what generation the seeds are. If these are poor genetics to begin with, and then the possibility of a watered down genetic line, could this explain how they are growing? I'm honestly stumped. :wallbash:

In the last pics you posted, they look like they *could* be overfed to me. But I'm uncertain. Take a look at them again, or take this one for example.

picture.php

See the left-most lower leaf? When you look at it in person, is that leaf actually a bit lighter? If it's just a camera/lens weirdness and those leaves are deep green, I would say back off the nutes for sure. And maybe back off the nutes anyway.

I always aim to slightly under feed if anything, although I'd understand people not agreeing with me on that. I've never had anything apart from a slight, almost unoticable burnt tips from overfeeding coco hydro, so basically I've never burnt my plants worth a damn.

Get prepared for the world's dodgiest layman's analogy, but I think of it like a plant gets clogged arteries. In a bad case it is fat and lazy and clogged up with fat (stored food) and can't function properly. When I have things steaming along in veg, I like to have deep lush leaves, who doesn't, but I want to see bright green growing tips occasionaly. This is the opposite of clogging up, but it's still "up there" and besides, your plant has plenty of food stored up, and it's an easy level/balance to aim for because it's a visual and get's you in the ballpark (strain dependant blah blah blah). I'll post this so ya know what I mean, those tips can happen from cold weather or something too, but I aimed for it. It's not any kind of deficiency in that pic, it's new cell growth rapidly multiplying, instead of choking up.

So taking all that into account, to me, it looks overfed. Your grow tips are dark green and packed out like it wants to but just can't. The smallest of those three ya posted is showing some clear effects going on there, those weird crinkly tightly packed dark green leaves. Basically the dark greenest plant is doing the worst.

So that's my advice bro. I think I mentioned it in relation to watering, but likewise, the plant doesn't give a rat's about *your* timetable or mine when it comes to feeding. You should feed the plant as it needs it, not to any timetable. Ride that wave, the razor's edge - Right where the tips go green. I think you'd see an improvement.

Not that they about to keel over or anything mate :D Don't wanna be a porridge pisser. Just my 2c on feeding cos it was mentioned/suggested. Looking forward to new pics man.

Hella THC

See the left-most lower leaf? When you look at it in person, is that leaf actually a bit lighter? If it's just a camera/lens weirdness and those leaves are deep green, I would say back off the nutes for sure. And maybe back off the nutes anyway.

Those photos are accurate to what they looked like in real life. They were yellowing, and yesterday, the yellowing was getting severe. The three biggest ones need food for sure. They are only getting nutes every other feeding. The little ones are getting none.

The truth is, I've really done everything everyone here has suggested, and I'm getting ready to just say fuck it and let em grow. I'm getting tired of beating my head against the wall trying to get them to grow. You have to realize the growth has been slow from day one, when nutes were not even an issue.

I mean honestly, if they were getting overfed to the point where their growth is limited like this, isn't it feasible to say they would be showing other signs of burn besides stunted growth? Regardless, they will only get food when they appear to need it. I can't do much better than that at this point.

I've varied the watering, I've varied the nutes, I've withheld water, I've withheld nutes, I've adjusted light distance, given them extra air and I've given lots of love. Time to just let em grow, and if I figure anything else out, I'll let you all know.

I'm trying everything you guys tell me, and I'm open to suggestions, but its honestly just not having much of an effect. One problem is a lot of people pop their heads in here and don't read the entire thread (understandable), and then see my latest question and only answer based on the info they can see in that post without going back and seeing all the things I've already tried.

At this point, here are my conclusions:
  • They are not over watered. Plants were wilty after 3 days
  • The three big ones are needing nutes and show signs of N deff when they don't get them
  • The genetics are unknown and could be playing an unidentifiable role
  • The pots are very small, and they will soon need more space to grow into

Time to let them grow free. I feel like an over bearing father. :joint:

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Yes that sounds good to me hella. Too many cooks so just do what you do. Just for the record though

I mean honestly, if they were getting overfed to the point where their growth is limited like this, isn't it feasible to say they would be showing other signs of burn besides stunted growth?

No it's not feasible mate. That's what I was trying to get thru. Anyway, I will leave it at that and wish you luck. I understand your feelings of being sick of opinions.

Hella THC

Hey scrub, I didn't mean to sound rude. The comment wasn't to say I'm not grateful for the opinions, because I am very grateful. I probably worded that wrong and I apologize.

It was kind of one of those "let's wait and see" comments. Ill tune down the nutes, and keep up with the love, and maybe we will see something change.

Hope I didn't scare you away :D

Hella THC

Thanks Red!

Quick update.

The plants exploded yesterday! I wish I had time to get some photos, but Ill get to that tonight.

They really took off vetically, gaining more than a half an inch in vertical growth in 24 hours... Sounds small but that's big for these ladies.

I decided to transplant the three larger plants into their new 4"x4"x6" homes. When I took them out, their roots were clearly grouping at the bottom of the pot... Looks like it was perfect timing. I gave them a good watering, which should last them a while.

The OG Retards were each super cropped and bent over. I think they will like it. I'm just playing around with lots of different things :D

Plants are all now 5" from the lights. Let's see If more lumens helps them out at all.

Best,

- Hella

Dr Fill-A-Bong

Right on!!! just been watching the lil ones grow ever so slowly. And now they're speeding up. Its getting to begin to be really exciting I think :)

Hella THC

Things are going great in the garden! They have responded well to the transplant and rewarded me with more vetical growth.

I pruned all the growth that was getting in the way of the new growth spots on the lower portion of the stalk. They look really cool now! Little lollipop style!

Ill try and get some pics up tonight.

Hella THC

Here's some pics. It's way too late to make a full update, but at least its something new to look at. :joint:

They have all been pruned like so...

picture.php

Here is Plant 3 which was one of the three that I super cropped. Its making its recovery nicely! Look at all the undergrowth taking off! :abduct:

picture.php

Plant 3 again, from the top. Look at how bushy she is! (Hope its a girl) I can see a clear difference in growth in this one compared with the others that were not super cropped.

picture.php

OG Retards #1 and #2 :laughing: Looks like both of the OGs are starting to show signs of N deff

picture.php
picture.php

And here's a group shot! Enjoy!

picture.php

All the best,

- Hella

ScrubNinja

Veteran
They're stacking it on nicely bro :yes: The rubbermaid is starting to look smaller and smaller!

Hella THC

They're stacking it on nicely bro :yes: The rubbermaid is starting to look smaller and smaller!

Haha, thanks man! :joint:

Things continue to look awesome. I decided to top one of them tonight. I chopped off Plant 1's head :yoinks: She liked it though. We will see how she responds. I hope I get some females and make my work worthwhile :puppydoge

Another 2-3 weeks and I'll switch em to flower. I predict some fat chunks coming off these things... look at the plant structure. :bigeye:

This is where things get exciting :D

- Hella

Latest posts

Latest posts