What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Heliospectra LX601C LED Grow Light Diary

Kimura

Looking good man this thread will be interesting... is LED the way forward or not ... be interesting to find out

Colorado .... how's the tangerine haze miss that bitch 😁

these heliospectra are definitely the way forward. i've seen what the ycan do in large dispensary grows. my next LED is the heliospectra E60

Megaprop

It does have some fascinating features though.
It is possible to adjust the levels of each colour, and you can program it to do it automatically by time-of-day.

Once your plants are budding, they say you can run a 14/10 light cycle.
All you have to do is have just the far-red on (only for half an hour or so) just before the dark period starts.

This can shave a week or more off the flowering phase. We shall see!

This means you have faster turn-around times and you can produce more in less time.

Last edited:

wayland642

Far as I'm concerned, any good led light is gonna cost you 1500$$, why not pay another 500$$ to have total control of the spectrum?

Cheesegez

Far as I'm concerned, any good led light is gonna cost you 1500$$, why not pay another 500$$ to have total control of the spectrum?

I agree but why go led in the first place ? are we talking efficacy or is about maximizing the plants potential medicinally .. I see the concept we install LED's daily but when it comes to plant growth are we getting any better or different results out of LEDS, I mean the efficacy isn't that amazing in the grow light range that ive seen on the heliospectra ....

be nice to see it done side by side ? I would never dismiss LED concepts on horticultural lighting but I would want to see proof personally before making such a large investment.

CG

Megaprop

Compared to HPS, the recent generation of LED grow lights offer:

1) Nearly half the heat output of a HPS.
2) No having to regularly change-out the lamp - over 5-8 years that's gonna add up.
3) Less fire risk - no scorching hot glass around.

on top of that, the heliospectra is programmable - the brightness of each of the 4 LED groups is adjustable by hour and minute of each day. It has a pretty awesome lens which gives a very nice flat footprint. The helio also offers that far-red trick as well.

Megaprop

Hi Guys

Thought I'd post a quick update.

I came home to discover a problem with one of the automatic watering valves (aquavalves) which feeds the autopots.

Basically, a piece of perlite somehow found it's way into it and held the valve open. Not sure if I was a bit careless when I was filling the pots with the coco/perlite mix, or whether it got in there somehow else.

Anyway, the whole res emptied into the bottom of the tent. Fortunately the drip tray in the bottom of the tent held it all in and averted a crisis. I got all the water out and remade up the res:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Thank god for drip trays, that's all I can say!

Last edited:

Megaprop

Got a few more recent shots of the plants. The overfed lower parts continue to look overfed but the new growth is looking all good:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Basically, they're growing like mad!

wayland642

Looking good. How far away are you keeping the light? Have you been in touch with Heliospectra to get any advice on recipes. I am just finishing my first lx602 grow. They look and smell wonderful.

wayland642

Looking good. I have the lx602c and I've literally up a 5x5 tent with great results!! I don't know how to attach a picture so until then no one can see but me. I have white widow (fem) and candy cane (fem) that are in week 7 of blooming. Mm they look great and smell soooo good!!

Cheesegez

I'm Waiting for some final flower shots .... you can successfully veg under any light , it's the flowering stage and product quality that counts.

Megaprop

Hi Guys.

Wayland - The light is about 30 inches off the tops at the min. Yes they're vegging under the Helio, and they'll be flowered under it too (with an adjustment in the program).
Blue is on full, White is on full, Red is on half power, Far-Red is off.

Yeah I've got some recipes, and the one off Heliospectra. Decided to flip them to 12/12 soon.

The plan is for the first 2 weeks of 12/12: Drop to 20"-24" off top of canopy. Blue on full, White on full, Red on full, Far-red off. 12/12 schedule.

Once they start to bud (2 weeks of 12/12 - ish): Adjust program to 13.5 ON with Blue on FULL power, White on FULL, Red on FULL, Far-Red OFF. Then, after 13.5 hours, turn Blue, White and Red all OFF, and just have the Far-Red ON FULL for half an hour. Then switch Far-Red OFF as well and give them 10 hours of complete darkness.

We'll see if this far-red trick works. I hope I get good results like you, Wayland. These Helios are (at the moment) mostly being bought in colossal numbers by medical growers in the US because they can shorten the turnaround time between crops by a week or more (as well as reducing heat problems etc.). Check out "The Grove".
These Helios are only just entering the domestic market really, but gaining respect fast!

Yep, I'm an early-adopter hobby-grower I guess, but the science really stacks up and I have high hopes lol!
Loving the low heat output and the mad rate of growth at the moment.

Cheezegez - They're filling up the tent nicely. They're growing fast, and looking healthy, so just getting to the 12/12 flip now. Pull up a chair up, matey. The next 8-10 weeks are gonna be interesting !!!

wayland642

Megaprop, you have the 601, i have the ,602. They are different but the same, if you know what I mean! I am using Heliospectra's flower recipe but have modified it a bit. I trained most of my plants around sections of tomato cages to keep them short. If I knew how to post pics I could show you!