What's new

Heavy Metals in Fertilizers

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
Hey Scrub,
Sorry if I came off like a dick in my reply. I am not making light of heavy metal contamination or the adverse heatlh effects it has on humans or the environment. I was simply trying to lighten the mood.
I think the results should be known, especially to our medical friends who may be trying to eliminate any contaminants in their "medicine".
Ingestion and inhalation are the two primary pathways for lead to enter the body. I certainly would not want to smoke or eat anything that contained elevated levels of heavy metals.
Thanks for a civil retort.
Cheers

I think we should start making a list of the nutes that are clean(contain less heavy metals) and a list of the ones that contain heavier amounts of heavy metals.

That way icmag user can use that as a reference when purchasing nutrients.

Nutrient companies don't list the amounts of heavy metals on their products. They do however list a website that you can visit and see the heavy metals for their products. But honestly how many people actually ever go to the listed website? I can guarantee that 97.5% of people don't. 1. Either because they are to excited about what the product says its going to do to their plants and results they'll get. And 2nd simplify because they don't care.

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
No worries Sarge, apologies in return. Hey I don't have a whole lot of time, but I think the study I was thinking of was the illegal series of tests carried out in New Zealand, if you have seen that one. But integralhydro.com has a lot of info (with references noted) which covers some relevant points. Here is a slice from halfway down the page, after he is done dishing it out to Advanced, lol.

While there is little data on the health risks that cadmium poses to cannabis users, cigarette smoking is a significant source of cadmium exposure. Although there is generally less cadmium in tobacco than in food, the lungs absorb cadmium more efficiently than the stomach. Jarup, L (1998) notes that the population group at the highest risk of cadmium exposure is tobacco smokers. The absorption of cadmium in the lungs is 10-50%, while the absorption in the gastrointestinal tract is only a few percent. Smokers have about 4-5 times higher blood cadmium concentrations (about 1.5 micrograms/l), and twice as high kidney cadmium concentrations as nonsmokers.(3) The national geometric mean blood cadmium level for adults is 0.47 μg/L. A geometric mean blood cadmium level of 1.58 μg/L for New York City smokers has been reported. The amount of cadmium absorbed from smoking one pack of cigarettes per day is about 1–3 μg/day. Direct measurement of cadmium levels in body tissues confirms that smoking roughly doubles cadmium body burden in comparison to not smoking. (4) This information has telling implications for cannabis users.

Cadmium accumulates predominantly in the leaves of Cannabis sativa L, indicating that heaviest concentration of Cd is present in leaf and bud material. (5)

Cheers :watchplant:

DoubleBubba

bump. I just looked at all the H&G heavy metals analyses in the OP and I think they are fake. They all have almost the exact same levels of the same metals, whether it's RootXL or Aqua A. I call bullshit. H&G probably just did a lazy job on submission and as was pointed out, there was zero QC on the manufacturers submissions. So does H&G actually have those levels? Or less? Or more? Who knows. Those forms are frauds.

As for the broader argument, it sure seems like coco/hydro/(pure)synthetic/(correctly set up)indoor is the only way to truly avoid heavy metals in herb. Guanos, manure, soils and unfiltered outdoor air all contain very high levels of toxic elements, including heavy metals, which mj will bioaccumulate when given the opportunity. check it:

Is organic agriculture polluting our food with heavy metals?

i grow autos, soon ill be going from seed to harvest with ffof n some coco fed by just a few organics but it is a reality that conventional farming uses nutes just like if not worse then the erb we grow of which we flush, best we all eat lots of cilantro and spirulina/chorellas to pull out the metals, what else can u do, stop smoking...........:comfort:

:tumbleweed:perahps kelp/molasses fish n ocean water is in my future as nutes?

Resurrecting this old thread!!! So has anyone done any testing on heavy metals accumulating in the buds? I know folks are testing BHO, anyone testing flowers these days, seems these labs to test the final product have sprung up everywhere. Any more info on this would be great.