What's new

Heaths latest tree grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bio boy

where is heath lol?? if a plant has 10,000watts over it and your hitting 2gpw does that mean you will get 20,000grams then??

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
where is heath lol?? if a plant has 10,000watts over it and your hitting 2gpw does that mean you will get 20,000grams then??

In theory yes, but the bigger your garden gets, the more lights you use, the harder it is to keep on top of your enviromental conditions.
To be getting 2gs per, you have to have everything perfect--its a lot harder to do with a big garden with lots of lamps.

zamzia

Veteran
Heath hasn't posted up for ages. Last time I saw anything from him was when someone was querying the legitimacy of one of his strains. Think that was Oct 2011.

D

DaveTheNewbie

Ok so i have read this whole thread front to back. I have made an account just to post here. Now to the questions.

1) Can this be applied to a traditional pot in pot clay pellet recirc system with the drain line taken from half way up the outer pot instead of the bottom? This would keep half the clay pellets and roots submerged. Is this basically the real change Heath is suggesting?

2a) With the configuration of 5 vert lights and 4 plants, the middle light i get. The 4 corner lights arent surrounded by plants, they are in the corners. Isnt this against the advantages of vert growing in which the whole globe range is used without reflectors?

2b) if 2a) is true then wouldnt you get more yield with 4 globes and 4 plants if the 4 plants were in the corners and the 4 globes were on the sides, such as below :

X O X
O ? O
X O X

and maybe a 5th super plant or globe in the middle as desired?

3a) the autocad plans show that the water IN can be either a line from above or a line into the side of the pot. If no line from above is used, where do you get your DO from as its mainly added as the water goes thru the medium.

3b) can you just use the line in from the top and not add water into the system via pvc piping into the base? if so see 1)

4) given the scenario of 2 lights and 2 plants am i better having the 2 lights above and below each other between the 2 plants or left and right / front and back at the same height?

5) given that heath gets amazing yields out of a waterfarm bucket (which is quite small), what is the real advantage of the monster bucket system he designed on page 8 (with the viewport), and what were the results from that monster?

6) when the water leaves the plant via the 1.5 inch pipe and goes back to the res, if you can arrange it so the water enters high in the res and "waterfalls" or splashes into the res wouldnt that also add an amazing amount of DO in the process with zero extra effort? Maybe i have to draw a diagram for this one.

7) this isnt a question but an observation / opinion : i would put a water drain and tap at the bottom of the pot so that you can drain it when doing a water change. Otherwise you are only changing a part of the water, not all of it.

8) full kudos to everyone who had an intelligent contribution to this thread, its an amazing thing. I have been on grow forums for 5 years and this is the single best thread i know of. Double points to Cyat for following the destructions and getting the goods and sharing it with us all so we know it works.

:)

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
SUPER FORUM and I mean SUPER! :D I know Heath likes a decent flow drip system, so I'd take it WaterFarm's wouldn't be ideal for this.

Not liking the efficiency of the WaterFarm air-push-drip system I came across HydroHalo water rings that run off another water pump. The media coverage and aeration look pretty good too.

Could also start real young plants in a 5 gal or greater bucket system with them. It also can add redundancy to a DWC or similar system.

Bio boy

is anyone around atm? vertical tree guys heath or billy ? i know heaths busy with family issues, sorry to hear dude, maybe could pm me , :S lol billy ya know me off another forums if ya here lost witch ones are most recent atm,

TURBD

Good read 4+ off 1 plant is amazing.
All these people that are like oh if you did this or that different wouldn't that be better.....
Wtf. 4lbs off a plant and your gonna tweak and fuck around with it.
It works as is. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Hope to try this one day. Just as its been laid out.
Thanks for posting this.

Stonefree69

Veteran
Well I agree TURBD. But that's how Heath got to where he is, a lot by emulating exisiting products and ideas and of course his own style and ideas. I'm talking about people and their existing Waterfarm systems that Heath likes to also mod. To quote Heath:
In the early nineties I was growing and experimenting with dripper systems, after running things for a while I noticed that if I increased the flow rate to the drippers the plants grew and flowered more quickly.

This led me to install bigger and larger bore dripper pipes, I had just modified one system before I went away for a week, when I came back the plants were all much larger as expected but what I didn't expect was the flow rate had been too high and as the roots had grown the roots had blocked the drain and were growing fully flooded! that's when I had a eureka moment and went and bought some brewing and builders buckets and started experimenting.

The basic idea is very very simple you basically have a bubbler bucket but instead of having the nutrients just sat in the tub you recirculate them at a high rate from a external rez so the nutrients are in continual motion.

Here is a Waterfarm bottom modified to recirculate the nutrients.
in this picture you can see the water entering the bucket from the right through a half inch fitting and exiting through a 1 1/2" fitting this picture shows nicely the sort of flow I like to have through the buckets.

Hence why I suggested the HydroHalos, especially for seedlings/clones/small plants in a 8-10" netpot in a 3-5 gallon bucket - or 2 bucket in bucket system. But yeah, if I want 4 lb trees the only thing I may differ is stacking bulbs, which Health also does in other grows.

cyat

Veteran
hydro halo is just like the gh waterfarm drip ring but it has a 1/2 in hookup

still gonna restrict water more than an open ended line

Stonefree69

Veteran
Right cyat, but the GH Waterfarm uses air to inefficiently push water up whereas the Hydrohalo uses straight water pressure and a much better flow rate and the water is distributed evenly like the Waterfarm on seedlings. Yes, just letting an open ended line would work just about as well and would be cheaper. I'm considering Hydrohalo to supplement bubble buckets (could also add redundancy). Not affiliated w/Hydrohalo in any shape or form and I'm not their sock puppet. ;)

cyat

Veteran
one plant(lvpk) using heaths design... lookin thru old pics luvin this one
picture.php

cyat

Veteran
drymouth, make sure you get a square tank.... the big 1.5 in. bulkheads dont seal on round tanks.... arent those tanks clear too? I hate painting and wrapping shit in reflectix

an11dy9

Since this thread is bumped... Does anyone know where you can find Heath's Aeroflo 56 Green Giant x AK47 grow? Not the video, but the actual journal or forum that it was posted. Cant seem to find it anywhere now. I want to check his posts and replies for something.

LEDNewbie

Veteran
Of course I find this thread when Heath is MIA!!!:tumbleweed:

Is DHF or Billy Liar still around??

Going to grow in dirt my first round or two but planning on building a "test" system off of Heath's design to see if I can make it work:biggrin: Would be nice to have peeps around to bounce ideas off of!!! Come on out guys, don't be shy!!!!:laughing:

cyat, what kind of results have you had growing trees with this system?

LEDNewbie

Veteran
Thanks billy!!! Glad your still around!!! Ill put together a bunch of questions I have this week that way hopefully I don't have to Pester you to many times!!!!:biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.