What's new

Heat of LED vs HPS

Grapefruitroop

I know that LEDs tend to bring less heat because you need less power to run them, but what about lamps with similar power? Will a 100W HPS run hotter than a 100W LED?
Yes HPS run much hotter.
I would say that compared to nowadays Led, the HPS are completely obsolete....not worth

Led give you much less heat, much more penetration, bigger footprint, better spectrum, and they last muuuuuuch longer than a bulb...and if you choose a good brand i would say also less prone to fire hazards! If your AC fails you wont bake your crop...

I read that HPS bulbs were the closest spectrum to the real sunlight....20 years ago.....
Maybe few years ago when the led tecnology had to catch up , hps were still a valid option but now....if you are building a new space...Led are better overall, hps is paraphernalia of the past!:abduct:

Dion

No, not really. Energy cannot be lost. It only changes form. So you take electricity and feed it to a led. The led converts the electricity to heat and photons. Then the photons hit surfaces and heat them up. The energy of some photons is used in photosynthesis and gets stored as plant matter instead of heating the grow area, but it's a tiny fraction (like a percent maybe).

Also the infrared from HPS is the wavelength the heat travels in

Some Ppl are adding it to LED lights now for the matabolic effect U speak of

prune

Veteran
Led give you much less heat, much more penetration, bigger footprint, better spectrum, and they last muuuuuuch longer than a bulb...and if you choose a good brand i would say also less prone to fire hazards! If your AC fails you wont bake your crop...

1. LED's produce less heat, but that might not be a positive feature when you're looking to drive massive growth.

2. DE kills on penetration.

3. DE's have the superior footprint.

4. Better spectrum? (see #1)

5. LED's can last longer, but you replace the whole fixture, not an individual bulb.

6. Ya, No not really.

7. My controller has a hi-temp interdict, so again, not really.

The sales and marketing pros are selling the shit out of a new technology, and there's a lot of lapping going on in the community.

Horselover Fat

Veteran
1. LED's produce less heat, but that might not be a positive feature when you're looking to drive massive growth.

2. DE kills on penetration.

3. DE's have the superior footprint.

4. Better spectrum? (see #1)

5. LED's can last longer, but you replace the whole fixture, not an individual bulb.

6. Ya, No not really.

7. My controller has a hi-temp interdict, so again, not really.

The sales and marketing pros are selling the shit out of a new technology, and there's a lot of lapping going on in the community.

1) the same heat per watt. Run more light intead if it's not warm enough :D

2) not true

3) not true

4) most certainly better spectrum

5) depends on your fixture

6) obviously is

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Yes HPS run much hotter.
I would say that compared to nowadays Led, the HPS are completely obsolete....not worth

I read that HPS bulbs were the closest spectrum to the real sunlight....20 years ago.....
Maybe few years ago when the led tecnology had to catch up , hps were still a valid option but now....if you are building a new space...Led are better overall, hps is paraphernalia of the past!:abduct:

Totally agree with this opinion. :tiphat:

I was running x4 630w dual bulb cmh's and my window banger would work nonstop all day to cool the room to 75F. No ac and sucking was over 85F.

I switched out x2 of them for x2 8-bar 650w panels and my AC hasn't turned on since. Max I've seen in 2 weeks is 77F. I'd have switched out the other x2 CMH if I had the money laying around. That's the catch though...

SupraSPL

The very best spanking new bulb HPS is 42% efficient last I checked. LED can be designed anywhere from 20% to 75% efficient and on top of that LED emits in a 120 degree pattern instead of 360 degrees like HPS. LED has a better spectrum than HPS (straight 3500K is all you need I promise).

So you end up using much less wattage to get the same job done. The heat from an LED grow can be potentially 3X less than HPS and they can be built to last for decades with no significant increase in expense. Also, less power for circulation and ventilation fans further reduces heat in the system.

I see no reason not to build 60-70% efficient LED lamps because it saves you in driver cost, heatsink cost, AC cost, fan cost and primary electrical cost. LED has been an awesome game changer since COBs were released.

Attachments

• 20200908_002603a.jpg
    20200908_002603a.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts