What's new

Hearing on Legalization and Taxation of Marijuana in Massachusetts

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
The first guy is just playing the politicians game. You flat out lie at first and if it sounds good to the politicians they will pass it. Once it is passed, adjustments can be made with the tax rate to maximize usage. If he proposed a low tax per ounce, they wouldn't pass it. Once they pass it the flood gates will have been opened and there is no turning back.

What they need to do is tell them the bill is 2500 pages long and present them with a 50 page summary of the bill that speaks in legal generalities, then once the bill is passed based upon the summary they can just write the bill as they go.

Isn't that the way legislation is done this day in age?

J

JackTheGrower

I was thinking and posted a few posts back that at $250 an ounce it will do two things.. Cap the Black Market prices and protect the Black Market.

Just because the illegal market place is illegal it's still something capitalists hold dear; A market..

Remember I believe we are talking about the Government working out a way to get it's cut. They don't want to destroy the established Market it would seem.

not to worry, if the purpose is tax revenue, they will make it something like a flat 10% tax to encourage volume, not the opposite.

educate me, Thanks. are growers for mmj dispensaries, licensed and taxed?

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
People continue to be brainwashed into thinking cannabis is a "dangerous drug". Until the mindset changes, cannabis, "a harmless plant" will continue to be blacklisted.
Burn1

fatigues

Veteran
You're missing the point.

If opponents of the bill can be tempted to agree to put this into place by the promise of a large tax -- and it passes, the problem will no longer be the legalization, but simply the tax rate.

If the tax is so high that the black market is not discouraged, then it's a matter of reducing the tax to reduce the black market on the street.

That is a vastly easier vote to later win and secure. This bill, if it looks like it will gain traction, will be reported in the press widely.

A bill two to three years down the road, which simply aims to reduce a sin tax to a more manageable level to "maximize tax revenues" and "curb bootlegging", will barely rate a mention at the bottom of page 12 in the third section of the newspaper. The fight over legalization will have been fought, and will be over and done with.

You guys are complaining about the end result, without recognizing it is an interim step.

All by way of saying, this is still at the seduction stage. Cast your mind back to the arm around the shoulder, fingers deftly unbuttoning the blouse without her really even noticing part. That's where this process is right now. Instead of recognizing the need to go through the dance, your focussing on the fact that the current date does not contractually obligate the sweet young thing to bring her twin sister to the bedroom, too.

Relax. All in good time.

J

JackTheGrower

Uh.. Okay?Fatigues...

LOL I make some interesting metaphors but that one is as twisted as any I make.. Blouse and all..

Lets see CCI puts a $50 flat on it and Tax2010 allows for unlimited..

Is this a function of market control? Is CCI saying lets stop the Black market and is Tax2010 saying let the locals control the Black market?

I know my bad more California in the Massachusetts thread but it relates.

Glad that people in the government are starting to gain consciousness of marijuana, in yo face Anslinger:)
Either way, I will always enjoy my spliffs, my bongs and my lovely plants :D
Spread the wisdom of marijuana!
Peace

J

JackTheGrower

not to worry, if the purpose is tax revenue, they will make it something like a flat 10% tax to encourage volume, not the opposite.

educate me, Thanks. are growers for mmj dispensaries, licensed and taxed?

Only one MMJ person is licensed in the whole USA.. is it new Mexico?

So there is one..

even if legalized with taxes that high it will not keep people from growing and selling their own dank. in order for this to work at all it will have to be like alcohol, in respects that if you can buy it cheaper legally than you can buy it off of the street or grow your own than it will SLOWLY become decriminalized. our governments greed will not keep us from our weed!

for the people that have said weed is "harmless" you are in for a rude awakening one day. i have been a medical patient for years now and have experienced various side affects from smoking a TON of pot (short and long term). moderation is the key to a long happy life with your favorite girl. until we pull our heads out of the cloud of smoke we are producing the government will continue the propaganda through the other half of uneducated Americans... those that don't smoke.

haze crazy

You are so right Southern Light, it's such a simple formula; Too much of anything will hurt you. In fACT, People have died from drinking too much water... It's just a balancing act....