What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Headband (a smoke report)

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
HEADBAND

....here we have a sampling of the infamous "Headband."
and, after a few pics of her, id kindly ask you to join me in a smoke report....

(something to note:
-i don't know the source. dont know the grower. these were obtained thru a third person, in the form of a baggie, so, keep this in mind when looking at the pics, and reading thru the smoke report.)

-The Initial Inspection.
densely packed, olive green calyxes give way to dark "rusty-iron/red colored" pistils that curl out wildly from the stacked flowers.
while not all that impressed with trich coverage (again, bought in baggie, which, no doubt, caused a good amount of trichs to fall off......evidence is in the bottom of the bag.) i DO like the fact that these were taken to a "mostly cloudy/some amber" stage, and, it makes for a very smelly, and sticky final flower.
The smells are hard to describe. Think along the lines of diesel fuel mixed with a concocction of ammonia and bleach; with a subtle hint of pine on the back end. My girl swears theres a menthol twinge to the smoke as well, but, i didnt pick that up yet.......but, Id almost go as far as to describe the smell as "chemdawg lite" or "chemdawg double d lite" because the smells she gives off are very similar. If it wasn't for the appearance of the piney-ness on the bottom end, I'd probably mistake it for chem in a dark, well ventilated room. ;)
I've also heard the term "shitty babys diaper" used to describe her smells, as well. I suppose I could see/smell that in there as well.
I would rate overall bag appeal (appearance/smell/etc) at an 8. while not being blown away by the trich production, i like that they were taken to mostly cloudy.
......the bags are pretty fat, the dense nugs are pretty stinky, and breaking up the flowers gives one sticky fingers, indeed.
Bag Appeal: 8
Smell: 8 (nice chemmy funk, but, not as strong, or pronounced as, say, a chemdawg or sour diesel.)

-The Smoke
[An approx. .3g sample burned thru a mini merlin chubbler]
Taking, and breaking up, a stinky-funky .3g sample, and, placing it into a freshly cleaned (and watered) bowl, "Headband" looks worthy, and at home. Already sticky fingers, get a lil MORE sticky giving the shredded pile of calyxes a gentle, but firm, push down; securing them in place for their final act of care-giving.
With bowl in right hand...and lighter in left.......i exhale. expelling the air from my lungs, making a welcome and fresh place for the "headband" smoke to reside. ;)

A firm "snap" brings the lighter to life......flame dancing in eager anticipation........just waiting to "bring the burn."

Tilting my hand down......
Introducing the flame to the freshly packed sample........
My lungs bring the mini merlin to a bubbling cacophony........

As the flame dances around the sample.....eventually rendering it into a white-grey pile of its former self.....i completely finish the bowl and draw in.....and hold....the complete hit.
no real noticable lung expansion.

exhaling.....

light cough. no hacking.

Immediately a sense of dizziness sets in. Almost like a punch to the nose, but, subsides very quickly, and leaves me with a mild sense of laziness. a who gives a fuck attitude, if you will. my eyelids feel very heavy ...and i can already feel my sense of motivation taking the afternoon off.

["Which could be a very bad thing." -Forrest Gump]

an air of relaxation, and a sense "evenflow" seem to be taking hold, but, I would need another sample, or two, to fully get to where, i feel, this sample is trying to take me.
Smoke: 8 (needs a lil more punch, imo. a sample grown by me might up this a lil bit tho ;) )

-The Tastes/Flavor
The best way i could describe the tastes going on would be read the "smells" and understand that these "smells" carry over well into the final "tastes" or "flavors." Chemical/Fuely/Funk reminiscent of the chems/diesels/funkyskunks out there. Long lasting funky flavor lovers would really enjoy this, i suppose. I know people out there are looking for an *accurate* description of the smells and tastes......thats the best i can do with this diesely/chemmy stuff. its just unique and needs to be smelled by ones self to really get it. too hard to fully and accurrately describe, imo. but those that know it......KNOW IT. its unmistakable once its smelled once.

Taste/Flavor : 8

-Overall

overall, i felt the "headband" was good, but, certainly not worthy of all the hype surrounding it. maybe before the chemdawgs and such became more common place, i suppose, i could see the rage.....but......in an increasingly "stronger / better pot" world, these just dont stand out, for me.
Good....but not great or elite.
I was excited to finally get a sample of these, and overall, i wasnt disappointed.

Would i hunt this cut down?
Nah. Dont bother. Other, better stuff out there.
Would i smoke it again?
Sure.

What would I say it has medical value?
Sure.
Pain relief....insomnia...anxiety....lack of appetite....
all the above, i feel, would benefit from the "headband" smoke.

Headband Overall: 8.
Very Good. But Not great.
Certainly not "elite," smoke, imo.

hope you all enjoyed it.

civilized comments?
discuss?

:joint:
-hubcap​

DankHank

we have tons of the "HEADBAND" here in colorado and it is pure fire..nocks me on me ass every time! nice pics and report hubcap ;)

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
thanks for stoppin in and leavin a word, dank hank...appreciate it.

i keep hearing the same things from a lot of people about the headband. and i can totally see the potential is in there......
thats why ive been asking around for it.
i wasnt all that impressed with the third-hand smoke, tho.
maybe if i got a hold of a cut that would, probably, change, but, honestly, even with , what I feel to be, a sub-par headband sample, i think id prefer the chem double d to this. that does it for me every time. but its all subjective, as you well know.
also, im not all that well versed on it so any REAL info would be great.........is it a chem relative? (hope this wont cause arguments. but it is IC so.....im prepared) also, how does she grow? easy? sensitive? i know nothing of her grow habits and unfortunately i dont think i got a primo example to sample so, this would prolly explain the differing views on it. I really hope people keep in mind...and read...that this is a third hand sample, and, by no means should be ones deciding factor on "to get or not to get." strictly my opinion on a third hand sample. nothing more.

i hope people dont get me wrong.....its not a BAD smoke at all. in fact, it would prolly be some of the better stuff in most circles out there. especially in places farther away from big cities and/or compassionate access.
but, for me, it wasnt the homegrown fire. this would be something, i think, i'd hafta run myself to truly and fully appreciate. like i said...i think the potential IS in there....

Normally I dont do smoke reports on third hand (or "store bought," if you will) strains, but, theres been alotta talk about this one lately and a few people wanted to know what I thought.......so I wrote one up.

again thanks for stoppin thru and if anyone has any first hand knowledge they wanna drop.....or if they have some pics of dried buds.....or wanna add their thoughts, by all means...

Id love to hear whatcha got.

-hubcap

johnyhash

Cannabis Connoisseur
ICMag Donor
Hey man I enjoyed reading your report. If it wasnt that great why such a high score?

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
Hey man I enjoyed reading your report. If it wasnt that great why such a high score?

i kinda judged it in the
...overall scheme of things....
johnnyhash. (thanks for stoppin in n leaving a kind word, too.)

just because it isnt real high on my list, doesn't mean it wont be on others, ya dig?
basically, with this sample, you could tell the potential is there....it just needed to be a better sample.
this was obvious even before the smoke report, and even more so after. ...and i didnt want to penalize it because it wasnt a primo example. i had no control over that. (if i went strictly with how i felt it was grown compared to how i THINK it couldve been better.......... it wouldve gotten 7.5....or a "GOOD." but, again, the potential is obviously present, and its not really fair to the smoke, to blame a subpar sample.)

its a good smoke, without a doubt. i never give perfect 10s because i dont believe there IS a perfect plant in ALL aspects. (im old. and picky.)
a 9 from me....rare....gave one to chem double d...super silver haze...F13....and few others id rather keep to myself.

i felt an 8 overall for headband was very fair. looking at it and smoking it......it almost screamed for a better grow, and quite honestly, could inch it closer to a 9. (again...speaking from no grow experience with this specific strain/cut/whathaveyou)

i can see why people think i didnt like it. the report did kinda have a "negative air" to it, if you will. but thats not the case. it, for me, simply, didnt live up to the hype that surrounds it. i feel the easy accessibility of the chem lines might have a lil to do with that....... but, thats purely speculation on my part, and who cares what i think bout dat?

i guess, in short, i didnt want the fact that it wasnt a perfect sample to take away from the things she brings to the table. i feel 8 is a very fair score with the sample given, and in the overall scheme of things.

that help explain things or just confuse more?
(im under the influence of it as i type so blame the 'band.)

-hubcap
:joint:

Bi0hazard

Veteran
Headband Diesel was some of the strongest cannabis i've ever smoked. It came from a cali dispensary. Even the smallest pinch of it in a bowl would make your head spin and your whole body vibrate with warm pulsing waves of energy. Easily a 20+ % THC strain, if grown correctly..

It was intensely strong. I'd love the chance to get some of it again. Nice find.

BIGGS

Veteran
nice smoke report mate. i think it has alot to do with how and who has grown it. two people can grow the same strain, one persons can turn out not too good while the other persons is dank as hell. unless you grow a strain and have it dialled in, i wouldn't write it off.

this is very true of headband i have a cut and three differant grow areas and the variation in the same cuts in the differant areas is truly remarkable.this strain is o so sensitive to its growing conditions for example my wife watered a outdoor garden for me and left one of the plants on the tiles instead of its platform and in one week it was 50% purple and it was august the temps never fell under 24 at night .however it is well worth the effort to work with this plant

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
I first tried Headband in CA, but there was quite a bit out here, (western CO), in the dispensaries in Aug.-Sept. I still have a little bit that I squirreled away. :joint:

:2cents:...
I love it! It is a great strain for med users, (or at least it is for this med user.) Firstly, it tastes fantastic, which is key for me.
(if it doesn't taste good, I cant smoke enough to get medicated, since my tolerance is pretty high and I'm kinda finicky.)
It does wonders for nausea; helps me relax and sleep; plus it helps me not to think so much about how much I hurt.
I dare say, I may have even had some pain relief, which is rare for me, (aside from eating cannabis or drinking canna-milk.)
I only wish there was more! Hopefully I'll be growing my own someday.
Try her, you will not be disappointed! :)

Happy medicating everyone!!
:smoke:

nomaad

Veteran
doesn't look like headband.

i take it back... if i scrutinize one of the angles, i see the wide branchiness that makes HB difficult to trim without leaving it a bit stemmy.

not very well trimmed in general, izzit?

NorCalFor20

Smokes, lets go
Veteran
that looks similar to the headband i grew,
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php