What's new

HDuces' Ghetto grow case (Questions Inside)

HDuce

PICTURES located at the BOTTOM of page 1

Hello fellow growers!! My first offical post on IC!!!

I have a few questions regarding my FIRST grow. :) here's some background info.

12/12 from seed (no veggie)(bagseed)

Im using a pretty decent size computer case measuring 24.5" H x 15" L x 7.25" D. I plan on having 2 plants grow at once (after i root out the males from the females). The plants will be grown in soil. I have FFOF and PERLITE and will be mixing 2/3 FFOF and 1/3 Perlite. I have PureBlend for the flowering stage.

I have 3 23W CFLs for two plants (Question 1: is that plenty of light? also, would i get away with using only 2 CFLs?)

There will be a fan blowing on the lights while they are on, and two fans for the exhaust with carbon filters for the smell. (Question 2: can i leave the cooling fan on during lights out or will it get too cold?)

I will scrogging the plants and i'll add plexi glass when they get bigger.

Question 3: what should my temp/humidity be with lights on/off?

Because this is my first grow i've ran into some early problems...when i checked on the plants yesturday my temp gauge showed 100F :badday: and like 25% humidity... (this was w/o a cooling fan for the lights)...i know i know...after i added the fan the temp went down to 80-85F and the humidity to 25-29%.

is that ideal?

Well, thats about it for now. If you need to know some more info to answer any of my questions please ask. I APPRECIATE all the help i get!!! and i THANK YOU in advance. There will be pic in here later when i get ahold of a camera.

Last edited:
G

you need to ventilate better if possible, when your plants get in there your canopy temps might be unsuitable for good plant growth

Connoisseur300

Smoke it if ya got it!!
Veteran
HDuce said:
Hello fellow growers!! My first offical post on IC!!!

I have a few questions regarding my FIRST grow. :) here's some background info.

12/12 from seed (no veggie)(bagseed)

Im using a pretty decent size computer case measuring 24.5" H x 15" L x 7.25" D. I plan on having 2 plants grow at once (after i root out the males from the females). The plants will be grown in soil. I have FFOF and PERLITE and will be mixing 2/3 FFOF and 1/3 Perlite. I have PureBlend for the flowering stage.

I have 3 23W CFLs for two plants (Question 1: is that plenty of light? also, would i get away with using only 2 CFLs?)

your just under the rule of thumb for gowing wich is 50 watts sq foot. you have 46 watts sqft if you only use one square foot of grow space. If you had a big enough fan you could fit a 42w and one 23 w?? just an idea. i've never grown in a pc before. i'm shure youll find what your looking for here.

There will be a fan blowing on the lights while they are on, and two fans for the exhaust with carbon filters for the smell. (Question 2: can i leave the cooling fan on during lights out or will it get too cold?)
If you leave it in a room ware the temp stays between 65 night and 78 day you will be just fine and smoking some fine nug.

I will scrogging the plants and i'll add plexi glass when they get bigger.

Question 3: what should my temp/humidity be with lights on/off?
You dont really want you humidity above 55% because of mold problems and during flowering you want it as low as you can get it. The lower the humidity the less stretch more tricrome production there is. my humidity is 22%
Because this is my first grow i've ran into some early problems...when i checked on the plants yesturday my temp gauge showed 100F :badday: and like 25% humidity... (this was w/o a cooling fan for the lights)...i know i know...after i added the fan the temp went down to 80-85F and the humidity to 25-29%.

is that ideal?
Did you say you have two fans? If you do and you only hooked up one of the fans and droped the temp between 80 and 85 you should have enough fan power to up you wattages and stay close to ambiant room temps.

Well, thats about it for now. If you need to know some more info to answer any of my questions please ask. I APPRECIATE all the help i get!!! and i THANK YOU in advance. There will be pic in here later when i get ahold of a camera.
I love pictures.

Last edited:

HDuce

I love taking them...I hate not having a camera.

rkrone: i have apassive intake. should add a fan to it or just make it a bit bigger? seems like it should be bigger.

Last edited:
G

HDuce said:
I'm kinda worried about the humidity being kinda low or am i just silly?

don't worry about it now... once you get the plants in there, the amount of evaporation should be more then sufficient. an easy way to raise it is to have a bowl or cup of water sitting out or mist the plants, although humidity is one of the factors I worry about the least. usually my cab ranges between 70 degrees to the low 80s with 40 to 50% humidity and everything is just fine. are you planning on changing soils for flowering? i'd just stick with the ffof+perlite

edit: oh, as far as lighting goes, the more you can fit in and effectively cool, the better you yield. the glass over the bulbs will keep the plants from getting burned. other than that, check out some other pc grows and see how much they wield with different amounts of cfls

Last edited:

Pirate138

the Revenant
Veteran
what are you using for your passive intake? how many holes? how big? i would suggest at least 4, 1.5" holes. more if your using a light at 400w or above.

HDuce

^ The holes from the front of the computer case...probably going to make them a bit bigger. Thanks for all the replys, im going to get some pics up as soon as i can.

what do you guys usually use to upload pics?

HDuce

yeah but c'mon...it's alot of work! i got to wait for things to load!!! I'll try to have then up by tonight.

HDuce

So i finally upload the pics...this is how far they've come along. This is just bag seed since its my first grow.

They started out under 46watts of light in FFOF. There where originally 4 but seed C didnt make it.

Water pH at 6.0ish

seedling A

seedling B

seedling C

All three

First Transplant
-add another 23w CFL for a total of 69watts
-new container with 2/3 FFOF and 1/3 perlite

new container

seedling B

with covers for the soil

Seedling B

Seedling D

So fast forward a little bit because i didnt have a camera...I got lucky on my first grow with all three plants being female!!! I let seedling go and kept B and D. They were transplanted into their own pot, water every 3-4 days (6.0 pH), LST'd. these pics are about at 4 1/2 - 5 weeks above ground.

Things added/changed
-2x 42w bulds for a total of 107watts

D on the left;
B on the right

Plant B

again

Last edited:

HDuce

Can anyone tell me the reason behind the yellowing on the bottom leaves? Is it because the plant is using its own nutrients? I haven't given them any nutes yet...but i'll start tonight with some PureBlend Pro Bloom.

HDuce said:
Can anyone tell me the reason behind the yellowing on the bottom leaves? Is it because the plant is using its own nutrients? I haven't given them any nutes yet...but i'll start tonight with some PureBlend Pro Bloom.

Just looked at mine, both my bottom leaves died in about 10-12 hours