What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hazemania

bloyd

Veteran
I felt like Alan Watts was guiding me on a mystical journey as I read your vapor report. Beautiful words. My vxl cloud has been a game changer in bringing out subtle nuances between different flowers and sifts.

Sideshow-Bob

Veteran
I felt like Alan Watts was guiding me on a mystical journey as I read your vapor report. Beautiful words. My vxl cloud has been a game changer in bringing out subtle nuances between different flowers and sifts.

thanks for the kind words bloyd :)

can't wait to try the cloud - still have to be patient and wait for the international release ;) (but the gnome, vhw, herbo and solo make it easy to be patient *g* )

greetz

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Great smoke report on the Purple Haze x Panama.

Here's some shots of my new Purple Haze Thai grow featuring the 3b female.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Nice resin coverage for barely half way through flowering. Spicy incense and fruit aromas are starting to develop.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
@thaibliss: damn that AT sure is slow to grow in veg.... i’m curious to see how she’ll react once she’s put in flower....

It will be a long time before the Acapulco Thai go into flower, probably late June. From my experience with these, I start them two flowering cycles ahead of time.

When they do go in, they will take off vigorously. They do have a problem with leaves dying at the beginning of flowering, being super sensitive to fertilizers like they are when they are tiny seedlings.

If I can get my hands on a reasonable greenhouse, I'd love to try them there. They might grow decent sized buds outdoors. Hmm... there is an idea. Late June would be a good time to go outside in a greenhouse. It might trigger them to start flowering a month earlier than normal for around these parts. Then the greenhouse could take them a month longer than the outdoor climate here is good for. I like this idea!

:dance013:

I'll surely be posting when they go into flower.

Thanks for the interest,

ThaiBliss

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hola :)

The first thing i want to say in this thread is

THANK YOU

to sam for bringing the haze to europe, to Oldtimer for keeping her the way she was and then later sharing her with us and of course to dubi and the ACE collective for all the work they have done with the haze!

you made it possible for me to experience this unique variety even though i'm decades and thousands of miles away from where she was conceived, so glad she survived and could become the classic she is today!

my obsession with haze started in Amsterdam with the Hawaiian Haze, when you get a well-grown sample of this you will know why: incredibly floral-tasting haze. so back then i realized i like haze... i then tried basically everything -haze you could find in amsterdam, some real gems were found and a lot of dirty-uncured bud was smoked :D

my first growing experiences with haze were truely disappointing, i found some nice haze-structured plants - but the haze aroma i loved so much was nowhere to be found.

here i have to describe the haze-aroma... uhm... well... yeah... it's nice :D very complex and therefor hard to describe... first and foremost there's incense (if i can't smell incense than it's not the haze i'm looking for) but there's also the haze stench, which is catpiss-ammonia type of aroma, then there is antique wood and leather, of course there's citrus aroma too, and then there's the floral side, also green and nutty flavours are to be found... really complex - it's a polyhybrid and you notice this with the aromas...

my preferred type of haze aroma is definetely antique wood-leather-frankincense, which also seems to be one of the hardest to find... catpiss-incense is very enjoyable too and citric-incense haze hits the spot as well... green and nutty is what i discard instantly...

in this thread i want to document my hazy adventures and talk about a variety of cannabis that is everywhere and yet still is mystically elusive ;)

it's in the ACE section because it features ACEs Purple Haze x Panama + progeny and i just love the laid back atmosphere with all the knowledgeable folks around this part, and i know dubi won't mind me showing some other hazes at the side of the OThazes...

now let's see some pics...

Hola Sideshow-Bob :)

Thanks for starting this interesting thread about what is probably the most famous and mythical sativa for the last 40 years ...

Yes, we need to thank all the oldtimers who keep originally the line in different kind of seed forms, especially sam who brought the line to holland, where most of the best haze hybrids were developed in the 80s and 90s ... and in our case we also need to deeply thank Oldtimer for share his old haze line with ACE Seeds collective, charlie and me did the first Oldtimer's haze reproductions and selections with the line around 2005-2008, then i continue with the selections and reproductions till now as my climate is more favourable to grow and breed this kind of very long flowering sativas.

Since my early days of smoking and growing ganja, i always was fascinated by the exotic incensey haze aromas coming from the excellent haze dutch hybrids bred in the 90s: Jack Herer, Jack Flash, SSH, Hawaiian Haze, Kali Mist (it's just my opinion that kali mist was also a haze hybrid) ... the more hazy/skunk/indica hybrids like Herer, Flash or SSH were originally very powerful and some phenos expressed the incensey trait in a very strong way (thanks to hybrid vigour and the very deep skunk terpene profile influence), this kind of haze hybrids were very very powerful at that time and quite friendly to grow indoors, aromas were fantastic but the dirty sativa/indica effect was not of my taste.

I have had many great pure sativas (african, mexicans, SE asians) since my early days and i wanted to explore this great sativa (haze) in its pure original sativa essence to learn more about how was the original potency, variability of the hybrid and how does the incense trait expresses in terms of strength and frequency in the 'pure' haze population. Then i tried different suposedly pure dutch haze populations but what i found was a bit dissapointing, they were not 'pure' sativa at all or the potency and aromas were not enough interesting....

Then Oldtimer shared his haze line with us. At that time (2005) my experience with pure sativas was enough wide to stablish my own criteria and to understand what a true tropical sativa was. The haze population we received from oldtimer was an extreme long flowering sativa almost untamed, at the beginning i was not very impressed by the potency of the line (our first test with the strain was not done in the correct kind of climate) but i was really interested by the genetic diversity of the population (a mix of highland purple colombian with green SE asian sativa types), we had the chance to find many original haze expressions and to experience the variability of the aromas in the line: woody, incensey, tropical fruits, black liquor, spices ....

It was clear the line was heavily inbred after 25 years, and its potency or yield was nothing incredible (we have been playing with other superior american, african and SE asian sativas with much stronger effect, vigor, yield and potency) but at least the line was not outcrossed. We learnt that it's true that only 5-10% of haze parental plants will have something real special to breed about, if you want to find something real unique then you need to play with very big numbers but this is the case with most heavily inbred lines, not only haze.

Fortunatly we found what i consider the best expressions from each pheno: Purple Haze 23 and Green Haze 19, they are our best selected haze parental plants from each pheno, and the ones we have mainly used to continue with pure haze preservation and outcrosses.

Then we started to cross haze with other inbred lines and hybrids: Nepal Haze, Haze x Nepal Mist, Haze x Panama, Haze x Thai, Haze x PCK ... and then the haze finally started to express his vigor and potency, especially in hybrids like Haze x Nepal Mist (amazing potency) or Haze x Panama (great potency and balanced sativa traits) while the Green Haze Thai and Purple Haze Thai were not bred looking for extreme hybrid potency but to breed improved purple haze and green versions that keep the original feeling and best traits of both sides of pure haze (the purple and the green one) in a healthier way thanks to the fresh thai 'blood'.

Honestly, i think there are many other more interesting sativas in terms of potency, quality, resin production, flowering times than pure haze, for example angolese, zamal, panama, malawi, to just name a few ... but the haze still keeps me fascinated.

ThaiBliss

Veteran

Dubi,

Thanks for taking the time to detail out your history and opinion with your work with this great sativa strain.

We all appreciate very much your efforts!

Thanks,

ThaiBliss

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
ok, now we're way down the rabbit hole already *g* ... most of these questions are exavtly what i wanted to talk about in this thread!

i have grown original haze from tfd and had the chance to try a selected Tom Hill haze (racos selection i think), haven't had the chance to try pure OTHaze yet, i'm afraid.

with shantis Hazes i have no direct growing experience, but i have tried a lot of different SSH and some critical haze, haven't tried the mango haze yet which i think i would like, most SSH hits me too much like a indica/sativa hybrid (which it is) so i think the mango haze would more suit my taste... i know there are some fantastic expressions to be found in the mr.nice hazes and i can't wait to some day have the chance to explore the mango haze / ssh in depth...

i also have quite a bit of a history with jack herer and jack flash from sensi, which are similar to SSH in many aspects, two of my alltime favorite herbs...

now the skunkhaze... i love the titans haze which is tfds new name for their skunk#1 x haze, it is the best haze i have grown (even better than the purple haze x panama, though those have more potential in crossings imho) the titans haze is the perfect example of what i expect from a good haze hybrid: deliver haze taste and effect but at the same time being manageable indoors... and she does that no doubt, i'll post some pics later in this thread and write somewhat more detailed about her then...

besides the titans haze, there is a cross i made with the purple haze x panama, i pollinated a local skunk cut that i know very well (die grüne hessin) with 4 different PHP males to do some progeny testing of the males... i got some very classic skunkhaze expressions from this cross. one of the reasons why i have very little doubt about the authenticity of the oldtimer haze ;)

then there is a great clone that is in circulation in spain that is called "la tijuana" it is a very special plant and personally i think it's a skunkxhaze combination, if i had two describe it in two words those would be "strawberry haze"

also we got the kali mist, which some people think is a skunkxhaze line as well (i'm looking in your direction dubi *g*), a while ago i did a selection from 3 packs of kali mist... i am still not sure about it, i totally could believe that it is indeed a skunkhaze - there are a lot of similarities to be found for sure! but i also could believe that there is something present besides the skunk and haze, such a clear temple hash incense aroma in some that i also can believe that there are some different himalayan genes in the kali...

nevils haze is fantastic as well, smoked quite a few nice ones and have grown some hybrids of it, zamal x nevils haze is the most psychedelic cannabis that i ever came across (true acidweed)

you sure should plant those haze seeds! lots of good things waiting to be discovered...

i will write more about the PHP for sure, she's up there with the best!

can't make a comparison to pure panama as i have not tried it yet, sorry.

great line up! i hope you find some nice expressions!

ok, nothing goes as well with a wall of text as some nice pics...

Original Haze (tfd) 150 days of flowering, she went 180 days in the end

as you can see she was not the happiest, too much N and too much light (12/12)... they are tough to dial in indoors *g*

I also grew Flying dutchmen haze and haze skunk (fuma con dios) 10 years ago and you are right they were selected towards the floral fruity green haze (thai dominant) pheno, i didnt find any purple haze or much variability to play with so i think it was an inbred selection of the green floral fruity pheno, great selection indeed. ACE's Green Haze Thai has also been selected towards this kind of floral/tropical fruity aromas but obviously without skunk.

The flowering times of TFD's haze F1 hybrids (14 weeks easily) were quite realistic for a true F1 haze hybrid.

On the other hand, Jack Herer, Jack Flash, SSH had quite early flowering phenos (9-10 weeks) so they are clearly not a straight F1 haze hybrid ... they are more complex haze combinations where 2 different haze hybrids are selected first separately for early flowering, high resin production, strong smell, good indoor adaptability (selected towards skunk or indica in terms of behavior and deep terpenes) but with the strong haze/incensey aroma, and then excellent indivuduals from the 2 separate haze hybrid lines are outcrossed, joined together. That explains the amazing vigour, extreme haze aromas, the early flowering times and also the variability of this dutch haze hybrids.

Kali mist from the late 90s has been my all time favourite haze aroma: so exotic permufey, hashy, incensey, roasted meat .... i did my first Kali Mist selection from seed in the early 2000s so i can not comment how was the line in seed form in the 90s. What i found was a sativa dominant poly hybrid (there's lots of sativa but you can also feel the afghani terpenes, most probably coming from the skunk), quite variable hybrid but all the incensey expressions were outstanding, ranging from dark hashy incense aromas to the haze skunk type of aromas or even the more sativa phenos with incensey lemony smell. Only half of the parental plants had the incensey aroma, the other half had a sweeter dutch generic aromas without incense at all, still quite nice but i only selected the incensey ones. I dont know how is the line now in seed form, Serious Seeds still confirm is the same exact genetic combination, it's one of the very few dutch haze hybrids i would grow again just for the pleasure and greatness of the line.

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
We share a passion for the Darker aromas of haze as frankincense is a trait close to my heart.

Hi bigherb,

I support your long quest in search of the best frankincense aromas, i also have (had) the same obsession for that kind of aroma, always looking for the best and most extreme temple incense types without any trace of skunk.

I think what you are looking for is clearly a haze hybrid, one that has been bred, selected and refined towards this kind of dark incense aromas. For what i know Kali Mist is the closest, at least in seed form. A real pure haze usually has a rough woody and spicy background that is sometimes not desirable for modern times, this kind of aromas (more related to the imported weed of the 70s) have been bred out in modern haze hybrids like Jack Herer, Jack Flash ...
and replaced for the skunk/indica terpene background plus the haze incense trait.

Dutch breeders have crossed skunk almost to everything cos skunk is very predictable, early flowering, is almost hermie free, has great indoor adaptability and lastly cos its amazing terpene profile. You only can find this amazing strong and refined incense aromas by mixing the pure haze incense trait with other hybrids of amazing terpene profile, skunk is the classic one, others come to mind like blueberry, peyote purple etc ...

F

Fluffy Clouds

damn! i hope i see that day before i die, that day when will be Haze x NepaleseMist available.. i guess its very incense... :D

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
damn! i hope i see that day before i die, that day when will be Haze x NepaleseMist available.. i guess its very incense... :D

Greetings Fluffy Clouds,

The Haze x Nepal Mist was just an accidental test cross, i was reproducing Nepal Mist F2 generation outdoors and the F2 Nepal Mist males pollinated the pure Haze females flowering beside. The haze females pollinated were not the best ones and the F2 Nepal Mist generation was not so good as i expected but the cross of both produced a new sativa hybrid that was VERY good, not incensey at all but the resin production, potency and effect were real outstanding, is just an example of how this highly inbred sativas shine when they are outcrossed even with accidental crosses of this kind.

bigherb

Veteran
Hi bigherb,

I support your long quest in search of the best frankincense aromas, i also have (had) the same obsession for that kind of aroma, always looking for the best and most extreme temple incense types without any trace of skunk.

I think what you are looking for is clearly a haze hybrid, one that has been bred, selected and refined towards this kind of dark incense aromas. For what i know Kali Mist is the closest, at least in seed form. A real pure haze usually has a rough woody and spicy background that is sometimes not desirable for modern times, this kind of aromas (more related to the imported weed of the 70s) have been bred out in modern haze hybrids like Jack Herer, Jack Flash ...
and replaced for the skunk/indica terpene background plus the haze incense trait.

Dutch breeders have crossed skunk almost to everything cos skunk is very predictable, early flowering, is almost hermie free, has great indoor adaptability and lastly cos its amazing terpene profile. You only can find this amazing strong and refined incense aromas by mixing the pure haze incense trait with other hybrids of amazing terpene profile, skunk is the classic one, others come to mind like blueberry, peyote purple etc ...

Your input is always appreciated ,Of all breeders In my time on the net ive seen you seem most knowledgeable/passionate for the Frankincense an incense in general . I know you have vast knowledge an experience an i appreciate all you have shared with the community .

From what i know the Gold pheno of Santa Cruz Ohaze was most similar to what we desire .I knows he been on the boards for many years (yopu probably know him ) but what i found intriguing Mtn Nectar response to my incense question he mentions maybe Frankincense .This fella spoke briefly about tending/ smoking /being around for that Ohaze from Santa Cruz also mentions he gave Sams seeds of a isolated Purple Haze pheno he tended

Although the frankincense trait seems to be found in some pure sativas some which are currently being grown in the community . I have a Gift which is a Punto Rojo Cross which i was told i will definetly find this trait although im not 101% sure it comes from Punto Rojo . BUt what is amazing to me is the Punto Rojo is what i was told to be the Origin of Santa Cruz Original Haze

What still scratches my curiousity is why Sams has never spoke on the Incense/Frankincense trait .Considering his History with Haze an With soo many questions asked an his CC Haze hybrids holding this trait . I would have thought he would have much to contribute

Much Respect

1luvbigherb

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Please bigherb feel free to share your experiencies with other sativas that also show the incense trait. You can also find this kind of aromas in other sativa lines like Panama, colombians, nepalese, SE asian sativas hybrids ....

I think Sam already did a few short comments about haze origins, diversity of the line and about what he considers is his favourite haze pheno. Im sure he still can add lot more info about haze, skunk breeding and many other classics .... hopefully one day he will deeply write about it :)

bigherb

Veteran
Please bigherb feel free to share your experiencies with other sativas that also show the incense trait. You can also find this kind of aromas in other sativa lines like Panama, colombians, nepalese, SE asian sativas hybrids ....

I think Sam already did a few short comments about haze origins, diversity of the line and about what he considers is his favourite haze pheno. Im sure he still can add lot more info about haze, skunk breeding and many other classics .... hopefully one day he will deeply write about it :)

I will certainly keep us posted on my finding especially you brother

I have seeds of the kali china i will further explore at the right time an hopfully find some incense phenos ( the pics were horrible quality as they were taken off Dvr footage but i posted bud shots afew pages back not sure if you seen them )

Id enjoy a Read from Sams about his past Although i wont hold my breath for it . But ive always wantedan have asked to hear his opinion on the Incense/Frankincense trait in Haze

1luvbigherb

S

scai

WOW!
This is the right kind of talk and sharing knowledge that I long.... You guys are talking about things that make us others to understand what is in phenos, or in landraces, or in crosses.
It' s the deepest knowledge that we growers want to hear.

We don't have the experience that you have, and expecially Dubi, you have so much knowledge to share of you own crosses and other stuff that has been around..

I would like to see this kind of comments and conversation of what people put here and question.

It some how reminded me abit of Adam in her taste i think it was the soapiness that ive tasted in some CS hazes .

There are some smells/tastes I associate with classic dutch coffeeshop haze that I just want to mention.
Soapiness (see quote bigherb), washed laundry, antique wood (i know because there is a cupboard somewhere, when I walk past it it smell like there's a bag of haze in it), lemon (lime?) and a sourness/acidity. Really delicious.

GetMedicated

Just to add to Stone Locust's Soapiness comment, I was living in S Fla and smoking alot of haze during the late 90's through '04, The source was a close cuban friend who had cousins in Miami, and picked up 3-4 weekly (later Ft. Myers was the spot, as Alligator Alley was hot with LE profiling) , price low 4's. Most batches were the Black and sometimes the lesser Silver, but the best batch was around '03 and was called "The Soap", it had a light Soapiness to the exhale, layered into the spicy haze flavors of the tradition Black. The calyxes were larger and gave the bud decent density at-least in appearance, look was still very hazy and most likely more wispy before being packed for transport. buds 8" long 1-2" wide and usually somewhat flattened or were common in these P's.

mack 10

Veteran
funny you metion soapy, @ the 420 ic cup their was a couple of soapy sativa samples.
didn't like it though, sorry:mad:)
mack.

Sideshow-Bob

Veteran
Hey everybody :)

sorry for the long time without any updates, just life keeping me busy...

Hola Sideshow-Bob :)

Thanks for starting this interesting thread about what is probably the most famous and mythical sativa for the last 40 years ...

Yes, we need to thank all the oldtimers who keep originally the line in different kind of seed forms, especially sam who brought the line to holland, where most of the best haze hybrids were developed in the 80s and 90s ... and in our case we also need to deeply thank Oldtimer for share his old haze line with ACE Seeds collective, charlie and me did the first Oldtimer's haze reproductions and selections with the line around 2005-2008, then i continue with the selections and reproductions till now as my climate is more favourable to grow and breed this kind of very long flowering sativas.

Since my early days of smoking and growing ganja, i always was fascinated by the exotic incensey haze aromas coming from the excellent haze dutch hybrids bred in the 90s: Jack Herer, Jack Flash, SSH, Hawaiian Haze, Kali Mist (it's just my opinion that kali mist was also a haze hybrid) ... the more hazy/skunk/indica hybrids like Herer, Flash or SSH were originally very powerful and some phenos expressed the incensey trait in a very strong way (thanks to hybrid vigour and the very deep skunk terpene profile influence), this kind of haze hybrids were very very powerful at that time and quite friendly to grow indoors, aromas were fantastic but the dirty sativa/indica effect was not of my taste.

I have had many great pure sativas (african, mexicans, SE asians) since my early days and i wanted to explore this great sativa (haze) in its pure original sativa essence to learn more about how was the original potency, variability of the hybrid and how does the incense trait expresses in terms of strength and frequency in the 'pure' haze population. Then i tried different suposedly pure dutch haze populations but what i found was a bit dissapointing, they were not 'pure' sativa at all or the potency and aromas were not enough interesting....

Then Oldtimer shared his haze line with us. At that time (2005) my experience with pure sativas was enough wide to stablish my own criteria and to understand what a true tropical sativa was. The haze population we received from oldtimer was an extreme long flowering sativa almost untamed, at the beginning i was not very impressed by the potency of the line (our first test with the strain was not done in the correct kind of climate) but i was really interested by the genetic diversity of the population (a mix of highland purple colombian with green SE asian sativa types), we had the chance to find many original haze expressions and to experience the variability of the aromas in the line: woody, incensey, tropical fruits, black liquor, spices ....

It was clear the line was heavily inbred after 25 years, and its potency or yield was nothing incredible (we have been playing with other superior american, african and SE asian sativas with much stronger effect, vigor, yield and potency) but at least the line was not outcrossed. We learnt that it's true that only 5-10% of haze parental plants will have something real special to breed about, if you want to find something real unique then you need to play with very big numbers but this is the case with most heavily inbred lines, not only haze.

Fortunatly we found what i consider the best expressions from each pheno: Purple Haze 23 and Green Haze 19, they are our best selected haze parental plants from each pheno, and the ones we have mainly used to continue with pure haze preservation and outcrosses.

Then we started to cross haze with other inbred lines and hybrids: Nepal Haze, Haze x Nepal Mist, Haze x Panama, Haze x Thai, Haze x PCK ... and then the haze finally started to express his vigor and potency, especially in hybrids like Haze x Nepal Mist (amazing potency) or Haze x Panama (great potency and balanced sativa traits) while the Green Haze Thai and Purple Haze Thai were not bred looking for extreme hybrid potency but to breed improved purple haze and green versions that keep the original feeling and best traits of both sides of pure haze (the purple and the green one) in a healthier way thanks to the fresh thai 'blood'.

Honestly, i think there are many other more interesting sativas in terms of potency, quality, resin production, flowering times than pure haze, for example angolese, zamal, panama, malawi, to just name a few ... but the haze still keeps me fascinated.

Hola dubi :)

Thanks for your detailed response and for telling us your own haze/sativa history! I totally understand why you don’t like the dirty effects of the typical haze x indica hybrids. They hit hard and are really strong but just don’t uplift the mood in the way a pure sativa does and once the strong high ceases most of them leave me zombified and unable to function.

I much prefer the type of hybrids you are creating: carefully selected pure sativa hybrids. Making it possible to grow and finish them indoors with good yields and outstanding quality of the final product.

I can’t tell you how much i appreciate your efforts to supply our community with all these gems. Thanks for all your work :) The fact that you are offering the strains in the pure, stabilized form is the icing on the cake. Proofs that you are really serious about the preservation and not in it for the money like so many other breeders. Keep up the good work!

The selected mums #23 and #19 sound great, the offspring of the #23 sure is special to me! Do i understand correctly, that the green haze line and the purple haze line you are offering are derived from only these two mums, whereas the othaze line is made by more parents to preserve it in a more open form?

The haze x thai crosses have me very interested, hopefully i will find the time to explore these sometime soon.

Other sativas than haze interst me too of course and i have had the chance to try a few (some of which you named) especially the zamal is one i have had a close look at (in the form of hybrids, wouldn’t want to grow pure zamal indoors). I love all sativas! the variety is what keeps things interesting... but nevertheless the Haze holds a really special place in my heart ;)

Sideshow-Bob

Veteran
I also grew Flying dutchmen haze and haze skunk (fuma con dios) 10 years ago and you are right they were selected towards the floral fruity green haze (thai dominant) pheno, i didnt find any purple haze or much variability to play with so i think it was an inbred selection of the green floral fruity pheno, great selection indeed. ACE's Green Haze Thai has also been selected towards this kind of floral/tropical fruity aromas but obviously without skunk.

The flowering times of TFD's haze F1 hybrids (14 weeks easily) were quite realistic for a true F1 haze hybrid.

On the other hand, Jack Herer, Jack Flash, SSH had quite early flowering phenos (9-10 weeks) so they are clearly not a straight F1 haze hybrid ... they are more complex haze combinations where 2 different haze hybrids are selected first separately for early flowering, high resin production, strong smell, good indoor adaptability (selected towards skunk or indica in terms of behavior and deep terpenes) but with the strong haze/incensey aroma, and then excellent indivuduals from the 2 separate haze hybrid lines are outcrossed, joined together. That explains the amazing vigour, extreme haze aromas, the early flowering times and also the variability of this dutch haze hybrids.

Kali mist from the late 90s has been my all time favourite haze aroma: so exotic permufey, hashy, incensey, roasted meat .... i did my first Kali Mist selection from seed in the early 2000s so i can not comment how was the line in seed form in the 90s. What i found was a sativa dominant poly hybrid (there's lots of sativa but you can also feel the afghani terpenes, most probably coming from the skunk), quite variable hybrid but all the incensey expressions were outstanding, ranging from dark hashy incense aromas to the haze skunk type of aromas or even the more sativa phenos with incensey lemony smell. Only half of the parental plants had the incensey aroma, the other half had a sweeter dutch generic aromas without incense at all, still quite nice but i only selected the incensey ones. I dont know how is the line now in seed form, Serious Seeds still confirm is the same exact genetic combination, it's one of the very few dutch haze hybrids i would grow again just for the pleasure and greatness of the line.

The Ot1 Haze x Thai have me VERY interested (both green and purple). I want to try to select a nice female expression and then cross it with my proven purple haze x panama male. Creating a hybrid of the ssh/jack pattern, but without the indica influence. Although i’m not sure what type of high would come from such a hybrid (might be a little too confused) :D

Kali Mist for me today still is one of the best dutch haze lines available too. I really enjoyed growing it, especially because the incense aromas are all over the place and it is easy to find a nice expression. But in the end i feel the line lacks a bit of vigour (the desirable sativa-expressions – seeds were from 2009 btw) and i can believe that at one point it was “fresher“ and produced even better final product.

Also while i really like the incense aromas of kali, for me it is not church-incense but more nag-champa incense, which is nice too but not exactly as elegant as the church incense from other hazes. Last but not least the high is really great for the first 1-2 hours but after that i can feel the indica influence and too much of it ends with a worn-out feeling.

So there is still room for improvemnet with the kali imo, will be interesting too see how she mates with the php ;)

here's a Kali Mist #26 x PHP:

picture.php

good vibes!

Sideshow-Bob

Veteran
@ Ur Humbl Nr8tor: the PHT 3b is looking fantastic!

@bigherb: i am very interested in the punto rojo too. I remember bidding on punto rojo years back on seedbay, but they were going for 150+ for 10 seeds back then, and regarding the source they were from i am sure i will be better off with kaikis punto rojo ;)

i've run ace's phz indoors as a test run and for some hybrids and i think it's really good as is. i especially liked the blackberry taste,purple hues, potency and high effects as is.i'm a compulsive pollen chucker. it brings me pleasure just contemplating and growing different home made crosses.

cool thing about ace forums is that dubi has traditionally been very supportive about using his strains ( phz in this example) as a platform for taking his strains in different directions.

another cool thing about his forums given his open support for different approaches is the sheer size quantitatively of our forum member base at ic mag translating into innumerable different strategies pivoting off his well established, well bred lines. instead of just a few different venues we are coming up with many different strategies that are not possible for a small number of growers to accomplish by themselves.

then, we've now got a pretty polite respectful vibe here at ic mag that allows different posters to do side by side analysis with valuable input by accomplished experienced growers throwing in their cents2.

my approach is going to be bringing some of the top landraces/poly-sat ibl back into a good traditional platform like othz.

here are some examples:

phz/electric psychoactive landrace/poly-sat ibl:
(angola red, red haired mex, destroyer, manga rosa, celestial temple sativa, up energetic punto rojo,sengalese, zamal, mm, and even an up energetic panama etc.)

you could use different phenos out of phz for the platform.

i really think that bringing pure landraces ( including poly-sat ibls) back into some of these f20+'s is a valid strategy for some very interesting receipes.

then we can openly do side by side discussions like this thread.

Sorry, somehow missed your post, only realised it when rereading now. I completely agree with you, that the otHaze is great for refreshing strains that have lost vigour / the spark ;)

It is pretty much what i have been doing with the purple haze x panama. We have so many nice mothers of different strains around, that all possess certain hazy traits but miss some other important traits of haze, that outcrossing them with a haze-dominant male is the logical thing to do.

So the first step was to find a haze dominant male (more about this soon). Then outcross and examine the offspring to see which mothers combine best with the male, this is were i am right now ;)

I would love to see the hybrids you have made with the othaze (the pure hazes too of course)!