What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Haze males from old GHS lines

Spaventa

Veteran
are you growing in soil later?
No, I’ve been using aero for years now. 10 maybe. Nuticulture Amazon systems, Canna Aqua. I have small Aerocloners too so no media of any kind normally, just root it cubes for seeds. Oh and of course, the kitchen paper towels :)

Edit - Don’t misunderstand that post though… I grew the finest Nevils in soil, my best C99 many Ace Hazes.
Soil is great and may even have the edge on terpene spectrum but it takes diligence and care I can no longer give my grows. Aero gives me great results with barebones simplicity. There’s not many unknown or variable factors with hydro generally. Take a while to get a given plants feeding and environment preferences dialled but when you reach the point where you just flower clones of the same mother you keep, it’s idiot proof and very little work. No media to buy, work with, recycle or dispose of.

Last edited:

Spaventa

Veteran
3rd seed is up and running
601573AD-5ABD-4145-84E0-6174384B4C83.jpeg

endgegner

No, I’ve been using aero for years now. 10 maybe. Nuticulture Amazon systems, Canna Aqua. I have small Aerocloners too so no media of any kind normally, just root it cubes for seeds. Oh and of course, the kitchen paper towels :)

Edit - Don’t misunderstand that post though… I grew the finest Nevils in soil, my best C99 many Ace Hazes.
Soil is great and may even have the edge on terpene spectrum but it takes diligence and care I can no longer give my grows. Aero gives me great results with barebones simplicity. There’s not many unknown or variable factors with hydro generally. Take a while to get a given plants feeding and environment preferences dialled but when you reach the point where you just flower clones of the same mother you keep, it’s idiot proof and very little work. No media to buy, work with, recycle or dispose of.
Do you keep mothers in soil though?

Spaventa

Veteran
Do you keep mothers in soil though?
No, hydroton/dripper. It’s super easy to control their growth but keep them healthy. A week before you want to take cuts, put the pump on constant, mist it with nitrozyme and switch the watts up on the ballast. When you aren’t working with that mother plant, you put the pump back 10m/hr and switch The light watts back down. No need to dump and refill res at different ECs, no trouble trimming roots, easy to keep clean.

endgegner

No, hydroton/dripper. It’s super easy to control their growth but keep them healthy. A week before you want to take cuts, put the pump on constant, mist it with nitrozyme and switch the watts up on the ballast. When you aren’t working with that mother plant, you put the pump back 10m/hr and switch The light watts back down. No need to dump and refill res at different ECs, no trouble trimming roots, easy to keep clean.
Sounds interesting. I hand-water everything and keep my parents in soil, so I have to water them less frequently. Does its job too, but a bit more work than your setup.
For growing indoors I stick to hydro too (If you also count coco DTW), because its more efficient than soil.

Spaventa

Veteran
Sounds interesting. I hand-water everything and keep my parents in soil, so I have to water them less frequently. Does its job too, but a bit more work than your setup.
For growing indoors I stick to hydro too (If you also count coco DTW), because it’s more efficient than soil.
It’s pretty cheap too. I only have to buy the nutrients. If you buy the 20L packs it’s pretty cheap and lasts years if you keep it in a place protected from frost or heat. I’d say you can harvest a kg dry weight from a litre of nutrients roughly so about £2 worth.

Spaventa

Veteran
I checked and the two remaining still haven’t cracked. I think it’s about a week now. No sign of any mould or death, no staining of the paper that would signal decomposition.
They are still hard and shiny.
So, braking from my don’t touch, wait protocol, I decided to mess with them. To weaken the casing. i used a razor blade to scrape them and trim the pointy bits off the ends. I did this with them where they were on the towels, refreshed the Nitrozyme solution and put them back to bed. We shall see.
Although I’ve seen one of two sprout later then this, most die and stain the paper brown in the second week. I didn’t want to wait for that if the embryos are trapped because time has seasoned the casing and made them harder to open. All guessing.

Spaventa

Veteran
Update… the three that germinated are looking good in aero on second set of true leaves, no issues.
The two other seeds are still in paper towels. No sign of sprouting but no sign of decay, so they stay put.
It’s looking like I have 3 out of 5 so spots are vacant so I’m going to give those 2 seeds another 48 hours and if they still haven’t germinated, I’ll start the other pack in another container/batch.

Spaventa

Veteran
Today I bit them! Got them between my teeth and just squeezed till I felt them give.
Fresh paper for their last 24 hours.
This is their last chance then it’s pack 2.

Reactions: ojd