What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Haze males from old GHS lines

Spaventa

Veteran
Guys, I just found and promptly purchased some old Greenhouse seeds regular packs, Nevils Haze regs and Hawaiian Snow regs. They have been stored professionally. They were the last packs. (They have 1 pack ElNino regs left)

Anyway, I’m looking for the NH #1 phenotype, the 13 week pheno that I grew from this very line in 2006 for my jars, not breeding genetics particularly but I wonder if these seeds could have plants of value to a breeder? Would the males potentially make good dads?

Last edited:

endgegner

Why don't you use the NH from Mr Nice Seeds? I consider them more reliable. They don't have all Hazes though. A Super Lemon Haze male would be interesting.

Spaventa

Veteran
Why don't you use the NH from Mr Nice Seeds? I consider them more reliable. They don't have all Hazes though. A Super Lemon Haze male would be interesting.
They aren’t genuine Nevils Haze in my opinion.
I never grew them because pictures show they don’t even look like Nevils Haze. I grew real GHS NH in 2006. I lost her and only the fem was available by that time. I grew out 30 and found they were not Nevils Haze. I looked at MrNice NH grows and reports from countless growers who grew countless packs said the defining aroma is not there… the church frankinscence with a buttery note when it’s burning. Yes it’s vaguely there in some rare phenos and many other strains but lacking the butter/honey note and only a level 2 hint whereas original GHS Nevils haze regular seeds it’s LOUD, heavy musky incense and rain soaked Forrest top notes.
#1 pheno is known and was my pick of the NH girls.
Sorry if I sound dismissive of Mr Nice plants, I’m sure they are great but I’m sure they aren’t genuine NH.

Last edited:

Spaventa

Veteran
GHS Nevils Haze was very stable. 3 known pheno. All of my 7 girls were clearly defined by them. I had 1x pheno #1, 3x pheno #2 and 3 of the pheno #3.
#1 looks like NL5 and takes 16. Weeks and smells of onion and incense.

#3 is a tall plant, darker leaves that takes 16 weeks and smells of body odour and musky incense.

#2 takes 13 weeks. Is medium tall, very sparse, thinnest fingers on leaves and a lighter silvery green. It’s super musky frankinscence and butter room filling aroma and fresh green herbal top notes. This is the grail Haze keeper. It’s ONLY found in GHS NH regular seeds.

Some say the Piff, NYC Haze is original GHS NH #2. Descriptions match well.

endgegner

I grew real GHS NH in 2006.

Shantibaba and Nevil left GHS in before 2006 and as far as I know they took the plants with them. Maybe the genuine NH was not a NH, but something else?
The 90s NH will be the original one for sure, it was used in ACE Seeds Panama Haze (according to ACE Seeds). Have you compared the phenos you know to some 90s cuts? I heard some of them are still around.

EDIT: should have said before

Last edited:

Spaventa

Veteran
Shantibaba and Nevil left GHS in 2006 and as far as I know they took the plants with them. Maybe the genuine NH was not a NH, but something else?
The 90s NH will be the original one for sure, it was used in ACE Seeds Panama Haze (according to ACE Seeds). Have you compared the phenos you know to some 90s cuts? I heard some of them are still around.
It seems obvious GHS and their retailers still had stock of the original well after 2006 and after the parents plants were gone. Of course they would have distributed to the retailers and those packs are still being found now! Like these I just snagged :)
When Arjan lost the plants, he had Franco cook up the fake NH fem. Any regulars will be original I believe.

Spaventa

Veteran
If at all possible do an open pollination or get them into the hands of someone who can.
~ Preserve the genetics for the future ~
I’m going to pop them 5 at a time. If I find phenotype #1 in them, I will happily sell the remaining pack on at cost to a good home.

Last edited:

endgegner

It seems obvious GHS and their retailers still had stock of the original well after 2006 and after the parents plants were gone. Of course they would have distributed to the retailers and those packs are still being found now! Like these I just snagged :)
When Arjan lost the plants, he had Franco cook up the fake NH fem. Any regulars will be original I believe.
I did a mistake, they left GHS before 2006, it was in the mid or end 90s. I typed the wrong date. Just saying.
But I sometimes read that some folks say that Mr Nice Seeds was better in the 90s and early 00s (though they still seem to be better than most current seed banks).

I personally don't know, as I was born in the 90s and was too young back then. But what makes me a bit skeptical is, that I also read that many people say the weed in Amsterdam in the early 00s was stronger.
I highly doubt that, because nowadays we have overpotent weed and many indicas already hit like sativas due to the high THC content, the CBD barely puts it down.

But if I buy seeds, I will probably go for Mr Nice Seeds and ACE Seeds. The SLH from GHS in 2015 was decent though, had one sour lemon like pheno (grew more skunk and indica like) and a sweet lemon bubble gum phenotype.

Spaventa

Veteran
Keep in mind that them leaving GHS didn’t instantly erase all existing stocks of NH. They fill sacks with them when they make them and NH stocks last a long time because very few people buy hazes as a share of the seed buying public.
They started making fake fems when they ran out of the original regulars.

Spaventa

Veteran
Ace? Hope you have patience, like nanas and the taste of hay. I’ve grown many Ace varieties. Tikal original, Tikal updated, Purple Haze x Malawi, Panama Haze, Neville’s haze x Malawi, A5 x Malawi. Panama was the only half decent smoke. A hint of incense and musk. Level 2. The rest ended up getting bubbled it was so shit.

Real pheno #1 NH veterans have a different standard though. You might like them.

#2 finishes at under 6ft, finishes cleanly. Aces just never stop making pistils.
The buds are rock hard clusters like grenades, encrusted with trichomes that make them look like core cut amo. Ace haze buds are fluff and stem and immature seed.

Last edited:

endgegner

Ace? Hope you have patience, like nanas and the taste of hay. I’ve grown many Ace varieties. Tikal original, Tikal updated, Purple Haze x Malawi, Panama Haze, Neville’s haze x Malawi, A5 x Malawi. Panama was the only half decent smoke. A hint of incense and musk. Level 2. The rest ended up getting bubbled it was so shit.

Real pheno #2 NH veterans have a different standard though. You might like them.

#2 finishes at under 6ft, finishes cleanly. Aces just never stop making pistils.
The buds are rock hard clusters like grenades, encrusted with trichomes that make them look like core cut amo. Ace haze buds are fluff and stem and immature seed.
I have a lot of patience, I need sativa landraces with little THC, a lot THCv and no CBD. I am growing Ethiopian from ACE Seeds, because it is listed as 6-12% THC.
But I have seen many positive grow reports of them and interesting breeding projects.
However, I am still interested in potent weed for breeding projects. I will cross the Ethiopian male with the ACC and with itself.

Spaventa

Veteran
I have a lot of patience, I need sativa landraces with little THC, a lot THCv and no CBD. I am growing Ethiopian from ACE Seeds, because it is listed as 6-12% THC.
But I have seen many positive grow reports of them and interesting breeding projects.
However, I am still interested in potent weed for breeding projects. I will cross the Ethiopian male with the ACC and with itself.
corrected. I confused THCv with THCa and went down a rabbit hole lol

endgegner

Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought all THC starts off as THCv. It’s burning or heating that changes it to THC. That’s why eating buds won’t get you high unless you cook them or add a fat like in a cookie.
You mistake THCa for THCv. THCv is often in African strains. It is what makes them uplifting and clear focused.

browntrout

Veteran
You’re kinda sitting on a gold mine. Old NH open pollinated “F2’s” would be a rarity today. I haven’t heard of anyone offering anything of the sort. I’ve been looking for a good NH. NH is one of the highest regarded strains of yesteryear.

It’d be a shame to no preserve these genetics.

Please consider doing an open pollination.

If you would like to do this preservation work, I would support you in any way I can.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
If you want advice, ignore the mns/ghs comparisons, they would start a poisonous discussion that would unnecessarily pollute your tread :) ;
I'm also of the opinion to do an open reproduction and then select the pheno you prefer;ghs seeds aren't that bad, but in those old reg seeds you increase your chances of finding true fire....

goingrey

I did a mistake, they left GHS before 2006, it was in the mid or end 90s. I typed the wrong date. Just saying.
But I sometimes read that some folks say that Mr Nice Seeds was better in the 90s and early 00s (though they still seem to be better than most current seed banks).
Greenhouse Seeds only started in the mid 90s (1995).

They released Neville's Haze as seeds for the first time in 1998, which is also the year Shanti left GHS.

Latest posts

Latest posts