What's new

Haze Breeders/Growers....

bigherb

Veteran
One shop in Rotterdam sells Sugarhaze which has a fruity incense fragrance and one shop in Delft sells just Haze which has that perfumy incense fragrance.I dont know which Haze they use, since i dont have contact with the growers.
The Purple Haze in Rotterdam was just for a short time (1991-1992) available, but that frankincense fragrance & high was strong what i can remember

most appreciated,the sugar haze is very interestnig smcgXhaze from seedsman ,soo can we assume its the seedman ohaze used but the colombian is very interesting too me caz i believe her/s.americans to contribute this incense trait,but the colombian gold in particular has had my interest since dj short reporting a frankincense trait,she sparked som interest id like to check som reports now

The Purple Haze in Rotterdam was just for a short time (1991-1992) available, but that frankincense fragrance & high was strong what i can remember.

this is especially intriguing becaz the only reported REAL purple haze to come from holland comes from tom hill ohaze stock via posi via SAMS and this is before tomhill aquired haze ,but interestingly he reports the incense trait not recognizeable in his line and SAMS STILL hasnt even spoke on this incense trait in haze

could it be SAMS haze was still being worked on in 91 -92 or after ?
is it even possible?

sad i almost questioned myself after 4 trips too adam and hundreds of reports on sweet haze ,if i really have been smokin haze all this time nothin in adam atleast available in the shops in even reminescent of our NYC HAZE ,soo it seem i have grown up on and have been smokin heirloom vintage haze my whole life, next time in adam no doubt im goin too rotterdam

1luvbigherb

reservationlabs

ICMag Donor
Veteran
BigHerb,

I am very interested in how Hillbilly HAZE compares to all of the Haze smoke that you have sampled over the years.

E

elmanito

this is especially intriguing becaz the only reported REAL purple haze to come from holland comes from tom hill ohaze stock via posi via SAMS and this is before tomhill aquired haze ,but interestingly he reports the incense trait not recognizeable in his line and SAMS STILL hasnt even spoke on this incense trait in haze

Seeds of Original Haze were already available in Rotterdam 1992/1993.Dont forget that Sam came to Holland in the mid-eighties.The incense trait is probably more from Thai genetics in the Haze than from the Colombian IMO.I have some Chinese genetics from Yunnan which has the same incense fragrance.I even found some Highland Thai in the past which had the familiar incense fragrance.
Originally Colombian strains came from Asia (India, Nepal) and were brought by some US pharmaceutical companies in the 1930s to Colombia.In some Colombians genetics you can even find back the Afghan genes.
Since Colombian Punto Rojo is one of the four strains which was used for the Haze line.Its still possible of course that these genetics are responsible for the incense trait.
Question is still for me which Mexican was used later on.

Namaste :plant grow: :canabis:

averagejoe

ive heard so much good from purple haze, but there ain't a breeder who sells purple haze anymore... or did they change the name?

1000ARMSofKALI

ive heard so much good from purple haze, but there ain't a breeder who sells purple haze anymore... or did they change the name?

you can buy real purple haze from ACE seeds, but not now or you can buy tom hill haze and searchin for or you can get purple haze from cultivators choice thaihaze x skunk1

bigherb

Veteran
I am very interested in how Hillbilly HAZE compares to all of the Haze smoke that you have sampled over the years

hillbilly haze is highly anticipated ,i will give a comparison as soon as possible

Seeds of Original Haze were already available in Rotterdam 1992/1993.Dont forget that Sam came to Holland in the mid-eighties

id love to kno exactly wen SAMS came here becaz in 84 he claims to hav given neville haze

well it isnt surprising there arent any reports but im interested to know HOW WHERE AND BY WHOM THESE WERE OFFERED,sacred seed #6 cataloge i believe was offered in 85 ,from that time i dont know of any pure haze being offered by anyone else ,SAMS claims nev sold pure haze wen n were caz ive neva seen this reported,posi sold haze hybrids and tomhill got pure stock som how soo is it possible others could have gotten pure stock like tom

now just to stir the pot SAMS CLAIMS HE BROUGHT HAZE TO HOLLAND ,OL ED IS REPORTED TO HAVE BROUGHT A DIFF HAZE TO HOLLAND AND NEVILLE STORY OF OBTANING A DIFF HAZE STOCK FROM NYC,if you read bonk post he clearly says SEEDS,soo its seem SAMS might have lied about givin nev CLONES

i thought this would be an interesting quote ,with you being soo knowledgable of holland and the haze history im sure you knnow who bonk is ,this is a quote from him below

Again I want to make clear to you that I will not send you any seeds, clones, or weed. First of all there are no more Haze-seeds left. Anyone telling you different is lying. As a matter of fact there are even no pure Haze's, only hybrids. Pure, 100% Haze would be a crime to grow indoors. I heard from good sources that some plants took from May till April the next year to fully flower. Being quite potent it was called Aprils-fools weed.
This is nice if you live in a (sub-) equatorial area where there's no law against growing weed, grass is green and people are friendly, but it's a bit of an impossibility to grow plants like that indoors like most of us do. So, we're stuck to hybrids I'm afraid.
BTW should anyone know of a country like the one I just wrote about, please give me a call. I'd love to spend my old day's there

The incense trait is probably more from Thai genetics in the Haze than from the Colombian IMO.I have some Chinese genetics from Yunnan which has the same incense fragrance.I even found some Highland Thai in the past which had the familiar incense fragrance.
Originally Colombian strains came from Asia (India, Nepal) and were brought by some US pharmaceutical companies in the 1930s to Colombia

i find your thoughts interesting ,IMO and convo with dubi i expressed how i thought the S.american such as mex and lumbos were responsible for this trait , i have no experience with those strains of yesteryear but in djshorts article he reports highlandCG,highland oaxacan gold all have many incense traits

the sweet haze which SAMS favors is reported thai leaning as are the expression of most of todays haze hybrids ,ive heard citrus and sweet used in thai descriptions 2 FLAVORS THAT ARE NOT EXISTANT IN OUR NYC HAZE

i had experience with dubi's yunnan in a hybrid of kali mist hich is also noted for incense traits ,while my climate in ny wasnt suited for her i found the taste too be a haze like smoke but not very incense dom tho i look forward to an indo run
as for highland thai havin that trait mmmmmm,id lov to meet her but honestly havnt seen any/many reports on thai's with incense traits

but the origins n history of colombians originating from nepal n india is very interesting ,ive always been interested in indian ganja,in bigbook of buds ed rosenthal reports indias strains to be spicy n incense like but i havnt foud much info on indian strains

i understand in spain the frankincense trait is a beloved trait referred to as botafumerio ,as happy hi reported the origins of haze begin with punto rojo from this there were four varities the fourth variety is reported to be like oldschool mexican n incense type

thanks for a great convo always appreciated

1luvbigherb

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran

no one sells straight Purple Haze, there are offerins you can find purple in, which have been mentioned.

plenty of seedmakers have given there lines the PHaze name, but there is no Purple haze seedline derived from straight haze.

ive done 3 gens with nothin but purple Haze plants from TomHills seedline, and still i only get about 30 to 40% purple. and prolly only 1% of actual full on purple on a plant. and then i havent found one that comes close in potentcy to the Lime plants in the seedline.

if ya see someone advertisin Purple Haze, imo there full of shite, id damn sure like to see a Purple Haze seedline, that is straight up haze.

CBF

E

elmanito

Real Purple Haze is hard to find nowadays.There is a Spanish seedbank with the name Positronics which says to have feminized Purple Haze, but i have doubts about that.

Sometimes you will find in some other genetics like Chinese real purple pheno's.

picture.php

but in djshorts article he reports highlandCG,highland oaxacan gold all have many incense traits

Thats new for me.Oaxacans i have grown were more spicy than incense.This year i try some other Mexicans, so we will see what we can find.

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ wowza bro, very nice lookin plant.

oaxacan i grew out were nice fruity plants, mine were sorced from oaxaca, was told highland oaxaca.

the fem PHaze ya speak of........that wouldnt be zamalitos seedbank by chance would it.

CBF

bigherb

Veteran
Strains of Yesteryear
By DJ Short, creator of the Blueberry and Flo strains - Monday, June 27 2005
CANNABIS CULTURE - A retrospecive of the best marijuana varieties from the 70's and 80's

Colombian Gold came from the highland Colombian valleys near the equator, as well as on the coast (the Caribbean and the Pacific
The color and cure were unique, and the aroma, flavor and high were equally so. The smell was that of sandalwood incense, almost like frankincense. The flavor was that of a peppery cedar. It was some of the most unique tasting herb in the world, and the high was just as exciting. It was truly psychedelic, powerful and long lasting

Highland Gold, somewhat similar to the Colombian Gold, lacked bright gold color but sported purple and red calyx tips on its blondish-brownish-green buds. It had larger buds surrounded by long, skinny leaves.

MEXICAN
Highland Oaxaca

Highland Gold, somewhat similar to the Colombian Gold, lacked bright gold color but sported purple and red calyx tips on its blondish-brownish-green buds. It had larger buds surrounded by long, skinny leaves

I smoked this variety during brief periods in the early 70's and again in the late 70's, paying anywhere between $40 and $120 per ounce. It was some of my all-time favorite because the aroma and flavor were of a super-spicy cedar incense with a slight fermented berry taste, in a very comfortable yet powerfully psychedelic pot

Guerrero

This strain from Mexico's coastal mountains came in famed green, seeded spears and cost $60 to $120 per ounce in 1977. It had a spicy, almost wintergreen fragrance compared to the other Mexicans with a very clear head high and a most pleasant smoke
Michoacan Brown Spears

From the high valleys of Michoacan, this strain was very similar in shape and texture to the Guerrero, but dark brown, and with a more peppery, spicy, woody aroma.

most of the reported s.american strains seems to be spicy n incense like the aromas most associated with our nyc hazes

1luvbigherb

reservationlabs

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Colombian Gold came from the highland Colombian valleys near the equator, as well as on the coast (the Caribbean and the Pacific
The color and cure were unique, and the aroma, flavor and high were equally so. The smell was that of sandalwood incense, almost like frankincense. The flavor was that of a peppery cedar. It was some of the most unique tasting herb in the world, and the high was just as exciting. It was truly psychedelic, powerful and long lasting
1luvbigherb

This is almost the exact description (difference being they smell and taste "more" peppery then incense) of the Mexican plants of which I have obtained from both Mexicali Mexico and San Felipe Mexico. Really odd that plants from these 2 places in Mexico fit the description of Colombian Gold.

bigherb

Veteran
This is almost the exact description (difference being they smell and taste "more" peppery then incense) of the Mexican plants of which I have obtained from both Mexicali Mexico and San Felipe Mexico

its great too hear that pure sativas such as those mexicans are being preserved ,they both sound very special. San Felipe is a town in baja and mexicali is a city i believe soo the plants havin similar traits isnt surprising ,as for the mex being similar to the lumbo it is interesting but i can only speak from resaerch not first hand ,as i wasnt around for the good years but IMO it seems many lumbos n mexi were on the spicy side .

but even in dj's description both the oaxacan gold n colombian gold had similarities.

1luvbigherb

reservationlabs

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got these Hillbilly HAZE beans out to the ICMag community but no one has done a reported grow as of yet. Hmmmm.

I did a cross of Hillbilly HAZE with Hindu Kush and those beans will be on seedbay shortly (I am hoping by today or Monday).

E

elmanito

now just to stir the pot SAMS CLAIMS HE BROUGHT HAZE TO HOLLAND ,OL ED IS REPORTED TO HAVE BROUGHT A DIFF HAZE TO HOLLAND AND NEVILLE STORY OF OBTANING A DIFF HAZE STOCK FROM NYC,if you read bonk post he clearly says SEEDS,soo its seem SAMS might have lied about givin nev CLONES

I have asked Wernard about the Haze he had in his library and he said it was from Sam not from Old Ed.Old Ed (RIP) brought some other fine genetics, but not the Haze thing.

i have no experience with those strains of yesteryear but in djshorts article he reports highlandCG,highland oaxacan gold all have many incense traits

In another thread on icmag about Haze is said that only Colombian Punto rojo was the first genetics of what later got the name Haze after it was crossed because of inbreeding problems with a Mexican strain.Colombian gold was never used for the Haze strain.I dont know which Mexican strain they mentioned, but it is possible a HOG.

I would not be surprised if some Mexican genetics originally came from Nepal, since some American pharmaceutical companies brought Asian genetics to Mexico, so IMO you can better look in some South-East Asian genetics for the incense trait.:)

bigherb

Veteran
I have asked Wernard about the Haze he had in his library and he said it was from Sam not from Old Ed.Old Ed (RIP) brought some other fine genetics, but not the Haze thing.

In another thread on icmag about Haze is said that only Colombian Punto rojo was the first genetics of what later got the name Haze after it was crossed because of inbreeding problems with a Mexican strain.Colombian gold was never used for the Haze strain.I dont know which Mexican strain they mentioned, but it is possible a HOG.

I would not be surprised if some Mexican genetics originally came from Nepal, since some American pharmaceutical companies brought Asian genetics to Mexico, so IMO you can better look in some South-East Asian genetics for the incense trait.:)

as for old ed bringing diff stock ive heard this mentioned more than once ,if its true or not i cant answer that.

ELMANITO
Colombian gold was never used for the Haze strain

if i recall correct im sure SAMS told me in my q for SAMS ohaze thread that Cgold and Cwackyweed were both used in the makin

i dont recall happy sayin OHAZE was crossed to any mexican ,but as for the SAMS story with the first crops being hybrid of lumbo/mex if thats true id assume it too be a HOG especially considering if she had incense traits

as for the park davis strains it is an interesting thought

In fact in the early 20th century Parke Davis seed collectors introduced Indian sub-continent seed into Southern Appalachia to create Cannabis Americana of equal or greater potency to the Indian sub-continent product they were having difficulty importing due to disruption of shipping from world war one! Parke Davis collected seeds from India, Turkestan, and Nepal, and sent them back to be grown in the Blue Ridge mountains and Mexico!

HISTORY OF THE ORIGINAL HAZE - International Cannagraphic Magazine Forums

Original - it was original so it fit.
Strain - an accident. Back then we all felt that Colombian Gold aka as Punto Roja was the best smoke. The haze comes from a Punta Roja seed
and was bred to itself for about 10 years after which the strain went
weak and became useless. It was never a stable strain and usually produced four varieties. Root Beer, deep purple, magenta, and light silver green.
There was never any Haze Brothers, that's urban legend. There were haze brothers that were large buyers and were brothers so we called them the haze brothers but there was three of them anyway.

the four plants emerged right from the get go, remember there was no serious breeding program, just pollen chucking. It originated from a punto rojo seed and then was breed to itself for the duration of it's existence.
the four plants were
1. OH- purple calyxes green leaves, did not turn purple due to cold. red sap.
rich deep smoke, very very sweet, down to the last hit, many thought it tasted like
smoking juicy fruit with a very rich finish. no incense smell
2.Magenta- often referred to as the root beer plant because that's how it tasted to many.
3.light green almost silver blue- my favorite, we used to call it Bilko weed, cause we would watch lots of sargent bilko and laugh our asses off along with a bit of the honeymooners. this was the closest thing to smoking acid, very very clear and up.
taste was sweet but much spicier than the others, peppery sweet and very expansive.
4. green/brown- this plant had the most incense smell and was probably the most like old school high altitude mexican. i can't remember how the taste was different except that it was old school tasting, not as sweet more musky.
These memories are old as am i, so my apologies if they aren't as descriptive as some.

the fourth variety is wat gives me my thought of comin full circle ,i believe this pheno is still alive and survives in nyc

1luvbigherb

E

elmanito

The incense musky trait in Haze is an Asian trait.I'm glad you know the Parke Davis story, since that gives you more an idea what i'm talking about.Last year i had a Parvati outside in the garden which had at the end of flowering the same musky smell as the Haze or some other strains like the Chinese i was talking about earlier.

The Spanish didn't brought the cannabis drug gene pool to South-America, but several US pharmaceutical companies did.If you know the books of Laurence Cherniak, in one of his Books of Cannabis he wrote in the Nepal section that there were strains similar with Mexican and i even think Mel Frank wrote that in his book Marijuana Grower's Guide, so you have to look more in Asian genetics than South-American if you really want to know its origin (which is actually China).:D

reservationlabs

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Whom ever has Hillbilly HAZE that is running it or whom ever wins my Hillbilly HAZE x Hindu Kush on seedbay.com please keep me updated. I am really interested in your grows with each, your results and your overall thoughts.

Thank You and Blessings

Ted Shred

Excellent Haze plants everybody!

Thought id let all the fellow haze lovers that at hemp depot, beanho has an orgy of haze hybrids listed. I just got 20 jack herer x mango haze and 10 willie nelson x mango haze. I wana get more but im trying to control myself...

It was the NY Haze that turned me to the haze lover that i am today and probly will be for life.

Latest posts

Latest posts