What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

therevverend

Veteran
A simple way to tell an internet crank is by how often they use ALL CAPS. It is hard to have a rational discussion with someone who is screaming.

U

Ununionized

Hogwash.

Alaska isn't warmer today than normal.

Throughout most of the 20th century Alaska was QUITE cold:
the brutal cold reduced some in 1976.

Since then the state has warmed little,
except Barrow and a few other locations.

Thousands of
deliberately disingenuous words? You're from Alaska.

There's no way you COULDN'T have known that this is CLASSICAL Alaskan climate,

and why it exists.

"The period 1949 to 1975 was substantially colder than the period from 1977 to 2014,

however since 1977 little additional warming has occurred in Alaska with the exception of Barrow and a few other locations."
===================================

https://climate.gi.alaska.edu/ClimTrends/Change/TempChange.html

You know what the Climate Research Center says about Alaska, or should.

The discovery and verification back for hundreds of years,
of the P.D.O.

the Pacific Decadal Oscillation -

is one of the most famous Earth sciences discoveries verified through multiple scientific disciplines, in the late 20th century.
===============================
..."The stepwise shift appearing in the temperature data in 1976

corresponds to a phase shift of the Pacific Decadal Oscillation

from a negative phase to a positive phase.

Synoptic conditions with the positive phase
tend to consist of increased southerly flow
and warm air advection into Alaska during the winter,

resulting in positive temperature anomalies."
============================

Oh, that's right, Alaska is bathed in persistently warm winds, creating temperatures WARMER than the mean for the region.

=============================

Parts of North America come out of the normal deep freeze conditions for decades;

clocking back through time using multiple disciplines,
researchers have discovered that sometimes, entire generations have grown up and been approaching middle age,

having never seen colder-weather conditions which would predominate if not for the flow of the Pacific Decadal Oscillation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_decadal_oscillation#/media/File:PDO_Temperature.png

The Pacific Decadal Oscillation was discovered by a man doing research for the Salmon industry.

It's tracks are seen all over the world through classically processed physics

like precipitation and temperature regimes in micro-climates globally,

and through the ebb and flow of life in accordance with it's environmental influence.

Those pictures are worth a thousand deliberately disingenuous words.

Per the world temperature change map, I live in the light red area of Alaska, I remember back to the 1950's with fair clarity.
The 1940's were cold (per parents and grand parents), the 1950's were cold (per me), as were the the first years of the 1960's.
Late 1960's warmer winters began happening more often, cold spells became shorter.
The 1970's began an accelerated warming, cold winters were fewer with shorter duration of the high pressure ridges that cause inversions, resulting in fewer -60 and colder temperatures.
1989 saw a winter colder than the previous ten years, three weeks of -40. Nothing like the six weeks of -50 seen in the 1950's, but damn cold.

Jump to 2016. After an entire winter of above zero I removed my furnace and heated the house with the lights in the garden.
Not a problem, probably could have removed the furnace in 2013 but I worried about weather, cold winters still can happen, not as cold and not as often, but natural variability says they will happen.

The climate in Alaska has warmed and is continuing to warm faster every year.
Rumor has it this is a part of a worldwide result of climate changing the local weather patterns. I am not everywhere but that is true in Alaska.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_decadal_oscillation#/media/File:PDO_Precipitation.png

The Pacific Decadal Oscillation influences micro-climates across what's pretty much the ENTIRE North American continent.
And an entire global regime of micro-climates
operating in lock step.

Furnaces aren't going to go out of style forever.

The Oscillation is named that, because it's only part of the time.

You've lived during a period where there have been repeated PDO influences on Alaska and North America in general.

Obviously it's going to continue to preserve Alaska's climate for a very very long time to come; but if it weren't for the P.D.O. it would be a whole other story.

https://research.jisao.washington.edu/pdo/pdo_tsplot_jan2017.png

U

Ununionized

It's your story, you put it in whatever font-style you want. You can't say anything to support your CRANK STORY,

because there's no such thing as a cold nitrogen bath that's actually a heater.

You actually thought that was real.

Face it: you're here from the party that first started telling the world that pot is "devil weed" and that

it was better to put someone in prison with murderers
than let them get "reefer madness."

You're here with a new story about how now, it's been discovered that "devil gas" has turned a cold nitrogen bath conduction chilling the planet,

into a heater.

And that the core of the cold nitrogen heater
is the cold light blocking refrigerants in the
cold nitrogen bath
that's a heater.

Did you guys ever get that CRANK story about pot being "devil weed" sorted out? Or have you backed off that by now?

Because pot's not devil weed,

and CO2 isn't devil gas,

and when you find another cold nitrogen bath that is really a heater you show us all. Then you won't be a crank.

And people won't talk to you like your story is a crank's story.

A simple way to tell an internet crank is by how often they use ALL CAPS. It is hard to have a rational discussion with someone who is screaming.

I gave you an entire string of questions to answer, you're too melted down over seeing some capital letters to be able to explain how a cold nitrogen bath is a heater?

Start any where you see fit, preferably somewhere around the point where "The atmosphere is a cold nitrogen oxygen bath, conduction chilling the light-warmed Earth," and finishing up with

"And that's why a cold bath is a heater!"

==========================
Tell it however you see fit. I'm not going to use all caps on you
and talk to you like you're some kind of crank.

Start with "There was a cold nitrogen bath," and finish up with "and then it was a heater!"

Use a.n.y. font-style you should so see fit
and I'll follow right along in a similarly bland, everyday font.

You don't have to be afraid. they were only capital letters.

Now - where were you? Oh I remember. "The cold nitrogen/oxygen atmospheric bath, conduction chilling the light warmed planet, is a heater! And the reason it's a heater is because - "

and that's where everyone loses you.

Can you show readers here,
another cold nitrogen bath that is a heater
because someone puts a few drops of CO2 in it?

Show me one time when a cold nitrogen bath, with a few percent CO2 in it, becomes a heater, not a cold nitrogen bath.

Show me one chart indicating CO2 has a higher specific energy than air because the Chart of Law states clearly it has lower specific energy.

It's got to have a higher specific energy to warm the volume it's mixed into. If it has lower specific energy it's got to lower temperature of the volume it's mixed into.

So - go get that chart.

When you can answer one of these questions satisfactorily you won't be another crank, with a story about how magical gassiness makes a cold bath a heater.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
The atmosphere is a cold nitrogen oxygen bath, conduction chilling

Conduction implies direct physical contact. There is little contact between molecules and opportunities for heat transfer by conduction in thin air. Different layers of the atmosphere are heated by different kinds of radiation. The whole problem is your cold air bath heated by reflected solar radiation, and the molecules doing the heating are not nitrogen and oxygen they're methane, carbon dioxide, and water. More oceanic heat more water vapor. More heat less CO2 solubility, more CO2 more heat more water more heat more CO2 more heat more water more heat. Smog pollutants might be a missing variable actually helping to cool, by reflecting incoming solar radiation.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I have a limited capacity, after getting the drift I tend to glaze over after too much endless same same.

Alaska's actual thermometer reading are only 150 years old. Pretty short amount of time. In that time frame the winter of 1912-1913 (hottest on record before 2000) was close to the average of 2001 through 2008. That is the one time example in 150 years, and I have to mention the 2009-2018 temperature average is higher that the one off outlier of 1912-1913.

Permafrost is much more accurate for long term temperature measurements. it changes slowly and a cloud between the thermometer and the sun does not affect the readings.
The permafrost has been slowly warming for minimum 1500 years, probably since 11,000 years when the last ice age ended. The last 100 have been accelerating.
A note on heat and ice. One calorie of heat causes a temperature rise of one degree C in a gram of ice. It is the same for a gram of water.
However...

When the ice reaches 0 C (32 F) it stops getting warmer. The gram of ice will absorb six calories of heat before the crystal structure breaks down to allow the temperature to rise.
Decades the permafrost sat at 0 C, this was after centuries of slow heating.
Now that the ice finally went liquid the temperature increase rate jumped to six times what it was for the last fifty years, just by finishing the transition to liquid.

The major changes in the environment of the critical top ten feet of earth is not reversible. Nor is the over 1000' of permafrost in the Tanana Flats, Yukon Flats, and the North Slope. The land itself is reshaped, rivers are rerouted.
Good, bad, or indifferent, the changes are happening, this is not just a coincidence we will laugh about later.

The time scale, 100 years versus 10,000 years. Size does make a difference.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
On a personal note, my daughter chose geology as her major due to all the oil company employment in Alaska. She went for paleo geology as that was the relevant study for oil exploration.
Many field trips were included. I have fossils of trilobites she found at 6000' in the Chugiak mountains. Mastodon from the Pocupine River south of the Brooks Range. She could not bring the Hadrosaur parts back from the North Slope on the arctic side of the Brooks.

Alaska was further north during most of the strata she excavates, but warmer, more like Seattle.
We are going back to that, this is quite obvious. "Been there, done that" the Earth tells us.
So do the deniers. So do the scientists.

We have been there before.
Time, time, time.
Change the air in my room once a minute and it stays fresh and cool.
Change the timing to 10,000 times a minute and any life in the room will die.
I majored in math, humans do not have a reference point to envision large numbers. A mile of pennies is 10,000. I envision a line, not 10,000 individual pennies.
100 years? 10,000 years? 100,000 years.
The numbers are each a single object in our minds, not all that much different really.

Size matters, size matters very much. changing five degrees is a big deal, even over 10,000 years it is a big deal. We lost 90% of our vertebrate life during the ice ages.
Now we are losing another 90% since the industrial age.

Does it matter? Once the population dies down to a billion or less then technology can provide nutrition the earth cannot.
Human nature says this will not be a blended society, the winners will find the solution satisfying.

We are so blessed to be here during these most interesting times.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
https://faculty.washington.edu/dcatling/Catling2014_tropopause_explanation_layman.pdf

looks like atmospheric constituents do NOT determine temperature either, rather what Unionized has been saying....that atmospheric compression ie: 'pressure' determines the habitability of this rock.

...i also believe Unionized used the word conduction inappropriately instead of convection...not a huge deal, but was seized upon to discredit him.

Common 0.1 bar tropopause in thick atmospheres set by pressure-dependent infrared transparency

Received:28 March 2013Accepted:29 October 2013Published:08 December 2013

Abstract

A minimum atmospheric temperature, or tropopause, occurs at a pressure of around 0.1 bar in the atmospheres of Earth1, Titan2, Jupiter3, Saturn4, Uranus and Neptune4, despite great differences in atmospheric composition, gravity, internal heat and sunlight. In all of these bodies, the tropopause separates a stratosphere with a temperature profile that is controlled by the absorption of short-wave solar radiation, from a region below characterized by convection, weather and clouds5,6. However, it is not obvious why the tropopause occurs at the specific pressure near 0.1 bar. Here we use a simple, physically based model7 to demonstrate that, at atmospheric pressures lower than 0.1 bar, transparency to thermal radiation allows short-wave heating to dominate, creating a stratosphere. At higher pressures, atmospheres become opaque to thermal radiation, causing temperatures to increase with depth and convection to ensue. A common dependence of infrared opacity on pressure, arising from the shared physics of molecular absorption, sets the 0.1 bar tropopause. We reason that a tropopause at a pressure of approximately 0.1 bar is characteristic of many thick atmospheres, including exoplanets and exomoons in our galaxy and beyond. Judicious use of this rule could help constrain the atmospheric structure, and thus the surface environments and habitability, of exoplanets.

https://www.nature.com/articles/ngeo2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfuafZbpyII

I have decided to adhere to convention and replace the n with an M. This is to avoid confusion with n which is used by many as the number of moles - not the mean molecular weight. So the formula is now; T = PM/Rρ T = near-surface atmospheric temperature in Kelvin P = near-surface atmospheric pressure in kPa R = gas constant 8.314 ρ = near-surface atmospheric density in kg/m³ M = near-surface atmospheric mean molecular weight (in grams per mole) Where is the so-called 'Greenhouse Effect'? A GHE of the size claimed by the IPCC or the 'mainstream' climate scientists simply can't be 'baked in' to this formula. Firstly you have the 'problem' of the claimed 33C from the GHE, which because of the gas law results incorporating auto-compression has disappeared. There is also the second problem that if the temperature can be accurately calculated by knowing just three gas parameters, then the climate sensitivity to CO2 has to be extremely low, not more than 0.02C which means that the CO2 alarm is totally unnecessary. In effect, the formula proves that 'extra' CO2 has no more effect than more of any other gas has on temperatures. Here I present a hypothesis that the supposed 33C "greenhouse gas warming" of the troposphere does not in fact exist. The suggestion, and the calculations show, that by using a derivative of the Ideal gas law, the 33C difference between the predicted Black Body Law temperature of 255 Kelvin and the measured global average temperature of 288 Kelvin, is actually caused by Auto-Compression. The proof is that by using just three gas parameters; Pressure, Density and Molar Mass, the average near-surface temperature of any planetary body with an atmospheric pressure of more than 10Kpa can be accurately determined. No separate input from solar insolation, albedo or the "greenhouse gas effect" is needed. Here, I have rearranged the previous formula, on a suggestion by AfroPhysics on the "Climate Sophistry" website. I think it does make calculations a little simpler.
References; Fulchignoni, M., Ferri, F., Angrilli, F., Ball, A. J., Bar-Nun, A., Barucci, M. A., ... & Coradini,, M. 2005. In situ measurements of the physical characteristics of Titan's environment. Nature, 4387069, 785-791. https://icecube.wisc.edu/pole/weather Lindal, G. F., Wood, G., Hotz, H., Sweetnam, D., Eshleman, V., & Tyler, G. 1983. The atmosphere of Titan: An analysis of the Voyager 1 radio occultation measurements. Icarus, 532, 348-363. Moroz, V., Ekonomov, A., Moshkin, B., Revercomb, H., Sromovsky, L., Schofield, J., . . . Tomasko, M. G. 1985. Solar and thermal radiation in the Venus atmosphere. Advances in Space Research, 511, 197-232. NASA fact sheet data on the planets, 2017. Accessed 10/4/2017 https://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary... Robinson, T. D., & Catling, D. C. 2014. Common 0.1 thinsp bar tropopause in thick atmospheres set by pressure-dependent infrared transparency. Nature Geoscience, 71, 12-15. Schmidt, G. A., Ruedy, R. A., Miller, R. L., & Lacis, A. A. 2010. Attribution of the present‐day total greenhouse effect. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 115D20. Southpole.aq/environment/climate.html Wikipedia, Properties of Earth’s atmosphere, 2017. Accessed 6/4/2017. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density... Zasova, L. V., Ignatiev, N., Khatuntsev, I., & Linkin, V. 2007. Structure of the Venus atmosphere. Planetary and Space Science, 5512, 1712-1728.

excuse me for not editing this to make easier to read, you'll still need to see the video for reference though too.

igrowone

Veteran
1st melt spike

1st melt spike

back to the business of scoping out the notable events up at the Arctic
the melt spike on the greenland sheet seems to have come back down to normal
how long that will be? we never do know exactly
anyhow, this was a dramatic start to the season, thinking it won't be the last of the season

Attachments

• greenland_daily_melt.jpg
    greenland_daily_melt.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 12
  • greenland_daily_melt_plot.jpg
    greenland_daily_melt_plot.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 9
U

Ununionized

Of COURSE the atmosphere is conduction chilling the planet. It's a COLD GAS BATH. That YOU thought it is a HEATER.

CONDUCTION is HOW COLD BATHS COOL.

That's all there is to it. Which is why your handlers have to send people who think a COLD NITROGEN BATH can be a HEATER

to argue their fake"devil gas" swag.

Just like they have to send brainwashed lawyers and illiterates to argue for that fake, "devil weed" swag.

Conduction implies direct physical contact. There is little contact between molecules and opportunities for heat transfer by conduction in thin air. Different layers of the atmosphere are heated by different kinds of radiation. The whole problem is your cold air bath heated by reflected solar radiation, and the molecules doing the heating are not nitrogen and oxygen they're methane, carbon dioxide, and water. More oceanic heat more water vapor. More heat less CO2 solubility, more CO2 more heat more water more heat more CO2 more heat more water more heat. Smog pollutants might be a missing variable actually helping to cool, by reflecting incoming solar radiation.

There's no IMPLY to "CONDUCTION CHILLING by a COLD NITROGEN BATH".

GRAVITY pulls the COLD nitrogen bath down against the SURFACE and it's associated features,

and the Earth SPINS beneath it, enhancing CONDUCTION.

"The whole problem" is YOU thought a COLD nitrogen BATH

is a heater. Because a bunch of government employee scammers

and their hangers-on, say so.

You're not able to answer the very first questions about fundamentals of a COLD NITROGEN BATH

conduction chilling a light-warmed rock.

Like: "What's the MAIN MODE of COOLING by a COLD fluid BATH?

Again: it's CONDUCTION.

It's why people put FANS on COMPUTER chips.
Same materials as Earth,
Same fluid atmospheric air bath.
Same enhanced contact through motion of one or the other creating more CONDUCTION.

The Earth spins, creating drag against the atmosphere, increasing the CONDUCTION COOLING.

You are in here trying to lecture THE people who faced down the U.S. Government over it's OTHER fake science and chemistry scam,

Pot is Devil Weed. With the FAKED CHEMISTRY about how

"Pot's devil weed"
and
"Pot makes people get reefer madness"
and
"Pot's the gateway to opioids,
so
we all have to get on opioids,
so
we don't all get on opioids."
========
Yours is just as ludicrous. More so.

And it COMES f.r.o.m. the same bunch of chemistry s.c.a.m.m.e.r.s: Government employees.

Kook claims presented by people who can't even name the laws of physics they don't know govern

and FORBID:

their quack

obviously ludicrous,

pseudo-scientific fakery.

Last edited:

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Weather just kicked my butt.
After five years straight of at least one day above 80 F in the first week of May an event happened for the first time in 150 years.

Let me go back first. In my childhood extra money was earned by turning the dirt in the neighborhood vegetable gardens for fifty cents an hour. Most crops could be planted the last weeks of May, but frost sensitive plants had to wait until after June ninth, the last day frost had ever been seen.
Since the gold miner's first gardens, this had always been, whether the winter was warm or cold.

The last fifteen years have continued a trend of each being warmer than the last. This winter included.
One of the difficulties with a warming climate is the extremes get more extreme. Yada yada yada, mental exercise I am sure, not real world.

This winter was another in the top five warmest on record for Alaska.
June 11, 2018, it frosted last night and a snow warning is out for tonight and early morning.
This is weather, setting a cold record during our hottest month. After almost the hottest winter. Following fifteen of the hottest winters on record.

Global warming causing it to get cold?
Damn right, the warm that was supposed to be here is feeding the flurry of Pacific hurricanes that are busy setting their own records. The widening jet stream is pushing Alaska's warm air south and replacing it with cold air from the arctic.
The arctic is replacing its lost cold air with warmer air from northern Europe and Asia.

Getting too wordy for a real world event. Lots of these simple events that all tie together into an intuitive narrative.

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
Where you can grow Wine in 2040 in Germany and what kinds.

picture.php

Often the details are interesting. Yesterday I saw a hunter in TV. He said, about the climate change, the cuckoo has problems. The birds nests, where he is putting his eggs in, are to far with their breed. So that the Cuckoo can´t smuggle his egg in the nest. (I hope you understand what I mean)

U

Ununionized

"The WEATHER has changed."

No, it HASN'T. There is a GLOBAL PHYSICAL STANDARD WRITTEN around the

FUNDAMENTAL PREMISE
that the CLIMATE is CURRENTLY NOT changing.

It was first calculated and published by the FRENCH in 1864.

It remained ROCK SOLID as scientists worldwide watched the AVIATION AGE DRIVE CLIMATE RESEARCH FORWARD and men MEASURED EVERY SPOT in the ATMOSPHERE a PLANE COULD REACH.

By the 1920s this REGULATORY ADOPTED LAW in MODERN PHYSICS

was accepted by AVIATION and other ATMOSPHERIC SCIENCES groups ALL OVER the WORLD,

with * * *ERNST RUTHERFORD the MAIN PROPONENT of NOT ADOPTING IT formally.* * *

By 1959 the ENTIRE GLOBAL SCIENTIFIC COMMUNITY had FORMALLY ADOPTED the

INTERNATIONAL STANDARD ATMOSPHERE

against which EVERY INSTRUMENT MANKIND has,
every MOTOR
every ENGINE
every SENSOR
every SWITCH

is ultimately back there somewhere, CALIBRATED
and
WARRANTIED.

This ADOPTED STANDARD
for PHYSICAL REGULATORY LAW
was REINFORCED in the 1970s by the AMERICANS,

being mainly driven by the need for ACCURATE DATA standards
for ORBITAL FLIGHT

and also *DISGUSTED by none other than JAMES 'MAGIC GAS' HANSEN of N.A.S.A. G.I.S.S. i.t.s.e.l.f.

claiming "CLIMATE WAS CHANGING"

adopted the

AMERICAN STANDARD ATMOSPHERE

RE-ASSERTING the ORIGINAL VALUES of the UNCHANGING

I.S.A.

and EXTENDING it's calculated regulatory values
UPWARD
another couple of
hundred thousand feet.

===============
ANY BODY
who was ALIVE and CONSCIOUS of what was going on AROUND him
in the 1970S

knows that BIG OIL
had just been SUED in ENGLAND and MADE to FOUND and FINANCE an ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES CAMPUS in England.

BRITISH PETROLEUM FOUNDED western ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES CAMPUSES
and FINANCES THEM TODAY. They were SUED, AND CAPITULATED,

FOUNDING the CLIMATE STUDIES CAMPUS in ENGLAND,

and AMERICAN oil companies, thinking Dick Nixon was their back pocket man, approached TRICKY-DICK NIXON

and said "These environment suits could BREAK us over here. We're a NATIONAL INFRASTRUCTURE component,
DON'T let them SUE US!"

Dick Nixon told them to their shock and horror that - he was a lawyer first
and those people had the right to sue them

and they could either VOLUNTARILY TAKE that MONEY
and DO what BRITISH PETROLEUM did

when it FOUNDED and FINANCED U.K. ENVIRONMENTALISM

at the UNIVERSITY and CORPORATE LEVEL

or those SAME people would TAKE THEM to COURT
and WIN, because - they HAD been grossly negligent,
and they'd pay the LEGAL FEES
and then HAND that SEVERAL TIMES that much MONEY

OVER to the REAL ENVIRONMENTALISTS
and THEY'D START those CAMPUSES themselves.

They said "THEY CAN'T STAND US! They'll say we're steering the research!!" Tricky Dick said: YOU better MAKE them BELIEVE it's INDEPENDENT or YOU'RE going to COURT, PEOPLE, TOO BAD.

Oil companies were publicly gutted of all hope of flight, not fight.

BIG OIL: Shell, and ESSO, (today Exxon)
Mobile Oil, and others that no longer exist,

PROMPTLY FOUNDED and FINANCED

and T.O. THIS D.A.Y. STILL FINANCE

AMERICA'S ACADEMIA'S ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES CAMPUSES.

======
E.V.E.R.Y
S.I.N.G.L.E.
O.N.E.
====

That's why BIG OIL keeps it's F**N TRAP SHUT to the MEDIA.
Because THEY'RE FINANCING a SHITLOAD of THIS SCAM

to SEEM INDEPENDENT and DETACHED
and
to SLYLY TRANSFER costs of EXPLORING WHERE THEY should INVEST NEXT
========
to YOU.
========

SCIENTISTS working for BIG OIL HAVE been FALSIFYING DATA
and LYING
and SCAMMING
to KEEP the TRUTH from being KNOWN.

It's the GOVERNMENT and BIG OIL JOINTLY FUNDED "SCIENTISTS"

who TAUGHT your KID in school that
a COLD NITROGEN BATH
is a MAGIC HEATER.

SAME political party that created the DEVIL WEED SCAM
SAME dirty, underhanded tactics,
SAME complete lack of FUNDAMENTAL credibility
SAME bunch of duck and jerk and hide the data
SAME bunch of ACADEMIC QUACKS whose studies are LAUGHABLE
SAME bunch of RICH or POWERFUL ECONOMIC HATERS,
SAME bunch of FAKE EXPERTS - and GOVERNMENT FRAUDS

SAME NAME at the TOP of the LETTERHEADS:

FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
ROYAL GOVERNMENT
ACADEMIC SCAMMERS
INVESTMENT SCAMMERS
and at the bottom of it:
* * * *BIG OIL. * * * *

TRENBERTH in COLORADO
JONES in ENGLAND
MANN at VIRGINIA
BRIFFA,
SPENCER,

***THEY ALL WORK for ENVIRONMENTAL CAMPUS WINGS***

FOUNDED AND FUNDED BY * * *BIG OIL* * *

==============================
WHY DON'T YOU KNOW THESE THINGS?
BECAUSE
BIG ENVIRONMENTALISM
of BIG ACADEMIA

which is BIG GOVERNMENT
---------
MAKE SURE
you don't.
---------
There's been a conspiracy about climate change since the 1950s at least. Billions, trillions, of dollars have poured into it to keep the public confused and ignorant. For the last 60 years scientists have been lying their asses off. Falsifying evidence, ignoring facts, telling the public what the corporations and government want them to hear.
The obvious analogy here is tobacco. But the oil companies and politicians are far more powerful then the tobacco companies were. Once they committed the country to a certain infrastructure they've bent the truth as far as they can to protect their profits and sell out their children.
I've never understood the people who think that the scientists are making this up. Why? The money is with the big corporations that use huge amounts of carbon. Why would a scientist in 1985 want to say something oil companies don't want to hear? It's a great way to lose your job. If you could prove climate change is an illusion you'd be very rich.
Now that it's obvious, for anyone over 20 years old you know how much the weather has changed within your lifetime. The only people who are denying it now are doing it for political reasons. Which is callous, selling out everyone's future to be lockstep with the oil companies and the corrupt ignorant politicians that do their bidding.
Being skeptical is a good thing, I'm always on the side of questioning the experts and looking for the holes in their logic. I hate siding with the status quo.
After a certain point with this issue it becomes stubbornness and pride which lose their charm as we get older. No one likes a crank.

It's a shame big government and big oil conspired to tell your kid that the laws of physics don't work because of magical gassiness,

and that the cold nitrogen atmosphere is a heater,
because of magical gassiness,

and that the sky gets hot when you use fire,
because of magical gassiness,

and that the magical devilish gassiness was the root of evil

and that people who make devil gas by breathing in and out,

are enemies of humanity.

When you get through marveling the naive kids

with your pithy, down-home, hand-spun homilies,

have a little hand holding circle outside.

When one of those automated electronic silver cigars,
with the little tiny wings
goes flyin over,

with the inhabitants of a SMALL TOWN inside,

you ask yourself the question - if the atmospheric temperature and pressure globally has changed,

WHY ARE THEY ALL STILL CALIBRATING THEIR INSTRUMENTS

AGAINST THE IDENTICAL VALUES DISCOVERED BY the FRENCH

in 1864?

And EVERY time you EVER see
ANYTHING with WINGS or ROTORS,
including a little hand held drone
or you see a PHOTO taken from ANYTHING suspended in the atmosphere by those - or even a BALLON floating through the air

don't forget that LAW they are flying by
was DISCOVERED by the French in 1864
FOR charting flight paths
of BALLOONS.

We have scientific laws and sophisticated equipment in the air,

BY the thousands

every second of every hour of every day

checking your story.

The VERDICT is IN. PLANES and SPACECRAFT

STILL CALIBRATE by the SAME STANDARDS -

temperature, pressure, composition:

FUNDAMENTAL CLIMATE PARAMETERS -

discovered by the FRENCH in 1864.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
looks like atmospheric constituents do NOT determine temperature either, rather what Unionized has been saying....that atmospheric compression ie: 'pressure' determines the habitability of this rock.

...i also believe Unionized used the word conduction inappropriately instead of convection...not a huge deal, but was seized upon to discredit him.

There is no convection either. You see cloud tops flatten? The atmosphere is divided into layers. That means they don't mix.

https://science.nasa.gov/ems/13_radiationbudget
http://www.ces.fau.edu/nasa/module-2/how-greenhouse-effect-works.php

How is the atmosphere a heater? Greenhouse gases.

therevverend

Veteran
The Antarctica article Cannavore linked is ominous. Antarctica has been much slower to warm then the Arctic. Now that it is melting quickly the rate of change it is going to be accelerated.

The Arctic sea ice is floating on the ocean, if it melts it doesn't change the volume of water in the ocean. It doesn't change sea levels. It does add to the greenhouse effect because ice is white which reflects sunlight. As opposed to dark ocean water which absorbs sunlight and warms the ocean.

Much of the Antarctic ice is over land. As it and Greenland's ice melt the water will run into the ocean. And once the ice is gone the land will absorb more heat then the ice did. Here's a link to an article about a town full of idiots in California and their futile attempts to save their homes from climate change.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/...y-have-to-be-raised-up-to-counter-rising-sea/

Haven't seen any monarch butterflies the last few years. The milkweed they feed on is being eradicated. Among other factors caused by humans that are leading towards the butterfly's extinction. I didn't see any honey bees this year until May and I haven't seen many.

When I was at Home Depot I saw a dude buying the carcinogenic, insect killing chemical Roundup. It was hard not to smack him. Or make a fool of myself delivering an apocalyptic rant about how jerks like him are destroying the pollinators our food sources depend on.

In the last 50 years half of the wildlife on the planet have disappeared. Interesting to be living during one of the great die offs in earth's history. I'm not optimistic that humans will be left out of it.

We're clever and masters of technology but the resources we exploit took millions of years to build up. The forests, fungi, animals, oceans that created this abundance will be changing enormously over the next 5000 years.

The aquifers we are draining built up during the last ice age. They will be drained and replaced with the contaminated water we're filling the future aquifers with. Things are getting interesting I'm a bit disappointed I won't be able to see the results of the Golden Age of material abundance we're living in.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
There is no convection either. You see cloud tops flatten? The atmosphere is divided into layers. That means they don't mix.

https://www.ces.fau.edu/nasa/module-2/how-greenhouse-effect-works.php

This section provides a brief overview of the properties associated with the atmosphere. The general concepts found in this section are:​

• The earth's atmosphere is a very thin layer wrapped around a very large planet.
  • Two gases make up the bulk of the earth's atmosphere: nitrogen (
    n2.gif
    ), which comprises 78% of the atmosphere, and oxygen (
    o2.gif
    ), which accounts for 21%. Various trace gases make up the remainder.
  • Based on temperature, the atmosphere is divided into four layers: the troposphere, stratosphere, mesosphere, and thermosphere.
  • Energy is transferred between the earth's surface and the atmosphere via conduction, convection, and radiation.
  • Ocean currents play a significant role in transferring this heat poleward. Major currents, such as the northward flowing Gulf Stream, transport tremendous amounts of heat poleward and contribute to the development of many types of weather phenomena.
The atmosphere is divided vertically into four layers based on temperature: the troposphere, stratosphere, mesosphere, and thermosphere. Throughout the Cycles unit, we'll focus primarily on the layer in which we live - the troposphere.​
Troposphere
The word troposphere comes from tropein, meaning to turn or change. All of the earth's weather occurs in the troposphere.
The troposphere has the following characteristics.​

• It extends from the earth's surface to an average of 12 km (7 miles).
  • The pressure ranges from 1000 to 200 millibars (29.92 in. to 5.92 in.).
  • The temperature generally decreases with increasing height up to the tropopause (top of the troposphere); this is near 200 millibars or 36,000 ft.
    • The temperature averages 15°C (59°F) near the surface and -57°C (-71°F) at the tropopause.
    • The layer ends at the point where temperature no longer varies with height. This area, known as the tropopause, marks the transition to the stratosphere.
  • Winds increase with height up to the jet stream.
  • The moisture concentration decreases with height up to the tropopause.
    • The air is much drier above the tropopause, in the stratosphere.
    • The sun's heat that warms the earth's surface is transported upwards largely by convection and is mixed by updrafts and downdrafts.
  • The troposphere is 70%
    n2.gif
    and 21%
    o2.gif
    . The lower density of molecules higher up would not give us enough
    o2.gif
    to survive.
https://eo.ucar.edu/learn/1_1_1.htm

oh, can you now explain how the atmosphere is a heater?!!!
when the source is the sun...

Abstract

A minimum atmospheric temperature, or tropopause, occurs at a pressure of around 0.1 bar in the atmospheres of Earth1, Titan2, Jupiter3, Saturn4, Uranus and Neptune4, despite great differences in atmospheric composition, gravity, internal heat and sunlight. In all of these bodies, the tropopause separates a stratosphere with a temperature profile that is controlled by the absorption of short-wave solar radiation, from a region below characterized by convection, weather and clouds5,6. However, it is not obvious why the tropopause occurs at the specific pressure near 0.1 bar. Here we use a simple, physically based model7 to demonstrate that, at atmospheric pressures lower than 0.1 bar, transparency to thermal radiation allows short-wave heating to dominate, creating a stratosphere. At higher pressures, atmospheres become opaque to thermal radiation, causing temperatures to increase with depth and convection to ensue. A common dependence of infrared opacity on pressure, arising from the shared physics of molecular absorption, sets the 0.1 bar tropopause. We reason that a tropopause at a pressure of approximately 0.1 bar is characteristic of many thick atmospheres, including exoplanets and exomoons in our galaxy and beyond. Judicious use of this rule could help constrain the atmospheric structure, and thus the surface environments and habitability, of exoplanets.

https://www.nature.com/articles/ngeo2020

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran

https://www.ces.fau.edu/nasa/module-2/how-greenhouse-effect-works.php

Well, there is compression heating, it happens several times per year in interior Alaska,

Warm air from the pacific runs up against the Alaska range, goes up four miles, dropping all its moisture on the trip up as it cools. Quite the snowfall on the south side.
The dry air clears the top of the range and tumbles down the north side of the mountain range, heating up to an extra thirty degrees by the compression of the air as it hits the Tanana flats.
This used to happen almost every year, a chinook causing a temperature rise from -40 to +40 in a single day.
With climate change the weather pattern has it happening three and four times per year, one of the many factors in the major heating of the arctic.

As for convection versus conduction, a towering cumulonimbus cloud can reach 50,000', breaking through the layered clouds and radiating heat directly into space.
Few things in nature are 'either/or' but a combination of factors.