What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

Three Berries

Who the fuck do you know suggesting killing humans to stave off global warming lmfao....
Fossil fuels are the only thing that has let civilization reached the advanced state it is. You take away fossil fuel and people will starve, freeze, no work, can't afford what there is.

Windmills and solar panels aren't going to do it. What else you got now?

igrowone

Veteran
Fossil fuels are the only thing that has let civilization reached the advanced state it is. You take away fossil fuel and people will starve, freeze, no work, can't afford what there is.

Windmills and solar panels aren't going to do it. What else you got now?
wind and solar probably could do it all, or close enough
but do it all isn't needed, even fossil gets a piece
balance is what is needed, common sense doesn't hurt either

Three Berries

wind and solar probably could do it all, or close enough
but do it all isn't needed, even fossil gets a piece
balance is what is needed, common sense doesn't hurt either
Another one that doesn't have a clue. How many windmills does it take to replace a 2GW nuke plant when the wind isn't blowing?

igrowone

Veteran
Another one that doesn't have a clue. How many windmills does it take to replace a 2GW nuke plant when the wind isn't blowing?
I'm just fine with nuke, in particular the newer tech that would have been clean and safe
unfortunately people are scared of nuke, what can you do?
build wind and solar, it's what your average citizen is comfortable with

Three Berries

I'm just fine with nuke, in particular the newer tech that would have been clean and safe
unfortunately people are scared of nuke, what can you do?
build wind and solar, it's what your average citizen is comfortable with
There are nukes all around me. But there won't be any build in the next 20 years, in fact we are shutting them down aka Germany.

There are windmills all around me. One thing they cannot get is the land for windmills and the power lines. Nobody wants them and the owners of the land are going to have them forced upon them.

Besides you can't replace a nuke with wind or solar. CO2 is not a pollutant at .1%.

Why not take the fuels we have in abundance now and develop technology that makes then clean? We already have cars almost there, where they spew out cleaner air than what is in some cities.

And that is another thing, the pollution is in the urban centers. And another problem is it's only the western economies that are doing the sacrificing. Where as China and India are growing exponentially in people and fuel use. They still don't have electricity in most of Africa.

moose eater

A total of 6 power plants in Alaska burn Usibelli coal to one extent or another, and the CEO was also involved in the recall effort re. Gov. Dunleavy, a Trumplican, with Usibelli being a republican family.

The coal is also exported.

We also burned free 'beach coal' gathered from the beaches on the salt water shores in Homer, Ak. and elsewhere, after a rough storm would bring the semi-bouyant material to the beaches, though it was a lesser quality of coal. It burned well in wood stoves, with firebrick in the bottoms as a safety insulator..

Last edited:

igrowone

Veteran
There are nukes all around me. But there won't be any build in the next 20 years, in fact we are shutting them down aka Germany.

There are windmills all around me. One thing they cannot get is the land for windmills and the power lines. Nobody wants them and the owners of the land are going to have them forced upon them.

Besides you can't replace a nuke with wind or solar. CO2 is not a pollutant at .1%.

Why not take the fuels we have in abundance now and develop technology that makes then clean? We already have cars almost there, where they spew out cleaner air than what is in some cities.

And that is another thing, the pollution is in the urban centers. And another problem is it's only the western economies that are doing the sacrificing. Where as China and India are growing exponentially in people and fuel use. They still don't have electricity in most of Africa.
thoughtful post, I too am disappointed about nuke
2 gwatt in wind is a lot of turbine, and I don't know how it's going to play out
locally i see a 100 mwatt solar site preparing to build
and a 1 gigawatt electric cable being laid from Canada to NYC
going to be 10% of NYC electric demand, hydro power
so I'm seeing a lot of non fossil electric being built

moose eater

thoughtful post, I too am disappointed about nuke
2 gwatt in wind is a lot of turbine, and I don't know how it's going to play out
locally i see a 100 mwatt solar site preparing to build
and a 1 gigawatt electric cable being laid from Canada to NYC
going to be 10% of NYC electric demand, hydro power
so I'm seeing a lot of non fossil electric being built
Hydrogen generators? Japan has been giddy about them for a couple decades now.

moose eater

moose eater

you never know what tech may get the big boost
hydrogen has been low on the radar lately
the fuel cell tech was rather cool I thought
I believe it's the second link above that is from MIT, having to do with their meeting in 2022 (iow, recent) re. energy and hydrogen.

Goes into 'some' discussion re. cost being a factor in the past re. hydrogen and viability as an alternative energy source for larger distribution, as opposed to the smaller scale niche of the past. Cost is addressed to some degree, and the tech is reportedly coming forth that may help to resolve those hurdles.

igrowone

Veteran
good evening, blt of a pause in the posts
so time to get back to our roots with a couple of charts
both the arctic and antarctic are near/at record lows
arctic may be at record low, antarctic has been for awhile
consistent with what we've been seeing over the past few years
and that is weather is changing everywhere
those who want to deny? good luck because the earth just doesn't care and will not stop

Attachments

• S_iqr_timeseries.png
    S_iqr_timeseries.png
    133.8 KB · Views: 31
  • N_iqr_timeseries.png
    N_iqr_timeseries.png
    124.3 KB · Views: 33

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
Second and third video here;

armedoldhippy

Veteran
news tonight with interview with a climatologist from a university from Germany. they sampled core ice drillings from northernmost Greenland in 2010. it apparently takes several years to analyze all of the data found. boiled down (with sugar and tea added JK!) the samples showed that the years between samplings from earlier (1995) and those in 2010 were the warmest years recorded (on average) in the last 1000 years, showing a temp rise of 1.5 C or 2.7 F. and the hits just keep on coming...

St. Phatty

29118.jpeg

Ozone is useful for its Optical qualities - it reflects and/or absorbs UV light.

CO2 has very similar optical qualities.

The difference between CO2 and Ozone (O3) being 2 protons, 2 neutrons, and 2 electrons.

Long story short, the increase in CO2 restores some of the UV blocking qualities lost with the erosion of O3.

Latest posts

Latest posts