What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

igrowone

Veteran
here's the particulars on the recent melting event at Greenland
it is kind of dramatic
see more over at NSIDC if hungry for more details

Rain at the summit of Greenland

FEATURED

August 18, 2021
On August 14, 2021, rain was observed at the highest point on the Greenland Ice Sheet for several hours, and air temperatures remained above freezing for about nine hours. This was the third time in less than a decade, and the latest date in the year on record, that the National Science Foundation’s Summit Station had above-freezing temperatures and wet snow. There is no previous report of rainfall at this __cpLocation (72.58°N 38.46°W), which reaches 3,216 meters (10,551 feet) in elevation. Earlier melt events in the instrumental record occurred in 1995, 2012, and 2019; prior to those events, melting is inferred from ice cores to have been absent since an event in the late 1800s. The cause of the melting event that took place from August 14 to 16, 2021, was similar to the events that occurred this late July, where a strong low pressure center over Baffin Island and high air pressure southeast of Greenland conspired to push warm air and moisture rapidly from the south.

moose eater

We're more chilly this week than we have been in numerous recent years, per my recollection. Lower 40's and 30's f. the last couple evenings. Frost on the car windshield this AM. The garden didn't suffer. Maybe get it all out of its system, or perhaps a foreshadowing of a traditional cold-ass winter to come. Maybe neither.

Years ago, when weather patterns were far more consistent, the folk-wisdom stated that when the fireweed tassels were all the way to the top, we were 6 weeks from snow. That hasn't been accurate in years now, and the fireweed isn't yet tasseling to the top, either.

Last edited:

Chi13

ICMag Donor

Why do you assume that this nutter sitting on a couch knows anything about global warming, or anything else for that matter? You keep posting multiple links to this guy. I am curious as to why you choose to believe him, and why keep linking to his videos?

Vernon Coleman (born 18 May 1946) is an English conspiracy theorist,[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP]anti-vaccination activist,[SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP]AIDS denialist,[SUP][6][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP] blogger and novelist who writes on topics related to human health, politics and animal issues.

Coleman's medical claims have been widely discredited and described as pseudoscientific. He was formerly a newspaper columnist and general practitioner (GP).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernon_Coleman

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
LOL quoting wackypedia, he has tried to get it changed as it is all lies but has been unsuccessful.

Strange, I've heard that it's actually quite easy to get Wikipedia changed even if you don't have rock solid evidence just so long as the evidence you do have reasonably indicates the posted information is false. Now since we are talking about a page about him surely he has rock solid evidence to support what is true and not true about his own life?

Of course we all know this is just a form of strawman argument on your part, since you are unable to refute the claims made in Wikipedia yourself instead of answering the question posed to you, you simply state that the person in question says it's all lie's but has been unsuccessful in replacing it with the truth and so we're just to except that it's all lies because a third party claims that the first party has stated they're lies. As if it's impossible that good old Vernon would have any reason to cast doubt on the accuracy of criticism against him. :jerkit:

Gry

Veteran
LOL quoting wackypedia, he has tried to get it changed as it is all lies but has been unsuccessful.

Would never think Wikipedia bestows legitimacy upon anyone.
On the other hand the "Dr" does seem to enjoy his notorious
reputation.

Chi13

ICMag Donor

Yeah I know, but it was convenient, and can also be highly accurate (or not?). It's pretty obvious what he's like from his vids though, don't you think?

Still genuinely curious as to why you choose to believe him over someone else, and why you post so many of his videos.

Koondense

Veteran
Still genuinely curious as to why you choose to believe him over someone else, and why you post so many of his videos.

It's probably because he never really learned to think for himself using rational tools, so it's way easier to just find some guy on the internetz and agree with him. Or to just be entertained by it...
In any case, it shows a very poor standard for processing information.
It's a worldwide problem, sadly.

Cheers

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Well to be fair I don't see very many, if any posting links that refute the points they're making. I won't say it's never been done because that would require me to sort thru a whole bunch of debates just to make a fairly minor point. I can safely say that I don't recall ever seeing anyone ever doing that.

Three Berries

I've got my local personal weather station records going back into the 1980s and there is no change in the average. The hottest years and worst flooding locally by far is still the 1950s.

Why do you think that someone who can manipulate computer models to fit the narrative they are being paid to support would be truthful?

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Proof that it was warmer 10000 years ago than it is now.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand. Yes there was a warm period, and there were cold periods. No one denies this.

Climate has changed naturally many times, through warm periods, ice ages, e.t.c. None of that has anything to do with the fact that humans are currently influencing climate through industrialisation, burning fossil fuels, and chopping down native forest.

igrowone

Veteran
Forest fires are way down from historical levels.
of course they are
historically they didn't fight them much
couldn't fight them much, had no trucks, airplanes, or any fancy mechanical contraptions
forest fire control is a modern idea
government program that actually does reduce the incidence of fires
mixed results on the whole though