What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

M

moose eater

yes, refraction and reflection of the surfaces has been a huge concern in the news. greenland is going crazy with melts and now lost a glacier due to warming. but where is all that moisture going?

Surface melt over rock or less porous soil, near bodies of water, are apt to be vulnerable to gravity, and roll downhill, straight into the ocean.

If above less-porous rock, in indentations, similar to craters, then there's the chance for these melts to create kettle lakes of one depth or another, and, to some degree, become that much more more susceptible to evaporation/condensation, joining the atmosphere and the rain/snow cycle, depending..

As Canada's finding with their surface melt in their muskegs and bogs, there are additional issues found that had been previously overlooked, such as increased levels of mercury being released from previously frozen permafrost areas.

Ultimately, the process is also freeing up things/materials/minerals/heavy metals that have been 'cocooned' for thousands of years.

I know the North Pacific and Bering, etc., are turning more acidic and warmer, providing habitat to organisms, bacteria, etc., that previously didn't live there. And that's without the added detriment of Fukushima and scuttled military waste there, and the measured increases in Cesium35, etc.

I don't know all the ins and outs, but some of these changes (Kluane Lake's primary inlet source glacier for example) are changes that have occurred so quickly that they have people awe-struck...

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Are you really comparing a magnetic field with an electrode? Mooootheeeerfuckeeeer.... lol

You're either an idiot, or just another fucking liar trolling for something to do. BTW, don't own a bot do you? Just asking because we have one show up here every once in a while.

"Global winds drag on the water’s surface, causing it to move and build up in the direction that the wind is blowing. And just as the Coriolis effect deflects winds to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere, it also results in the deflection of major surface ocean currents to the right in the Northern Hemisphere (in a clockwise spiral) and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere (in a counter-clockwise spiral). These major spirals of ocean-circling currents are called “gyres” and occur north and south of the equator. They do not occur at the equator, where the Coriolis effect is not present"
Source: https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/kits/currents/05currents3.html

Oh... I forgot. You consider NOAA as incompetents who don't know basic math. You should go peddle your bullshit to your crowd. They'll love you for it. Fuck they're probably paying you for it now.

"I'm not always a dick... Just kidding. Fuckoff."

You remind me of the dude who thought the earth's rotation would slow because we're taking too much oil that the earth need to feed the rotation. It's like a big motor. (true story)

Mr. J

The map will change.

The US is so fragile that, losing most of Florida to a 20 foot sea-level rise (corresponding to a fraction of above-ground ice simply melting) ... Florida would become a long skinny thing.

Miami Dolphins fans may need comforting.

And since the US is already $22 Trillion in debt - how would they pay for re-building most of the coast ?

Human beings are sensitive to temperature. An average 9 degree F or 5 degree C increase in Temperature ... might be good for the Air Conditioning manufacturers.

We already know what that kind of heat does. It means the hottest days get hotter, which tends to kill people in Europe & India.

It's not that Climate Change is bad. It's that we've built our entire civilization & life-style (including indebtedness) assuming a very static Climate.

And the Climate ain't so static.
That's the point. The climate is not static and it never was. It's getting warmer and it will continue to do so until the trend reverses and the glaciers return. For 100000 years. When half of the continent is covered in a mile thick sheet of ice, losing Florida won't seem like such a big deal.

Lyfespan

Are you really comparing a magnetic field with an electrode? Mooootheeeerfuckeeeer.... lol

You're either an idiot, or just another fucking liar trolling for something to do. BTW, don't own a bot do you? Just asking because we have one show up here every once in a while.

"Global winds drag on the water’s surface, causing it to move and build up in the direction that the wind is blowing. And just as the Coriolis effect deflects winds to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere, it also results in the deflection of major surface ocean currents to the right in the Northern Hemisphere (in a clockwise spiral) and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere (in a counter-clockwise spiral). These major spirals of ocean-circling currents are called “gyres” and occur north and south of the equator. They do not occur at the equator, where the Coriolis effect is not present"

Oh... I forgot. You consider NOAA as incompetents who don't know basic math. You should go peddle your bullshit to your crowd. They'll love you for it. Fuck they're probably paying you for it now.

You remind me of the dude who thought the earth's rotation would slow because we're taking too much oil that the earth need to feed the rotation. It's like a big motor. (true story)

Bot? really that's your try at misdirection?

tiger, do you know what makes the wind currents possible? its the surface temperature of the fucking oceans., and the evaporation of water.

please do yourself a favor and start researching things :thank you:

dont be so myopic as to think physical forces are the only ones driving this earth. the wind blows the oceans, the fucking oceans make the winds.

Lyfespan

That's the point. The climate is not static and it never was. It's getting warmer and it will continue to do so until the trend reverses and the glaciers return. For 100000 years. When half of the continent is covered in a mile thick sheet of ice, losing Florida won't seem like such a big deal.

the earth has been dealing with remaining ice from millions of years ago, the sun has been getting older and having its flare ups warming the earth.

Static, thats a pipedream of liberals that utilize fear tactics of our ever changing climate.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran

tell us where the magnetic field derives. from an electrical current.

"I'm not always a dick... "

you've demonstrated a propensity for being one. i drink cheap beer, what's your deal.

Lyfespan

tell us where the magnetic field derives. from an electrical current.

"I'm not always a dick... "

you've demonstrated a propensity for being one. i drink cheap beer, what's your deal.

hes got mechanical all twisted up with chemical :laughing:

doesn't realize what drives the convection cells he's speaking of, im so dead at the wind comment.

kickarse

A "bot" I reckon there are lots of them, all parroting the same alarmist garbage

In my humble opinion anyway :laughing:

Anyone know why all the old temp records are disappearing?, a lot don't seem to go back very far these days, and the ones that do, have most of their hot days a long long time ago

its starting to sound like one giant CON job

lets all send some $$$$ to the UN, that will fix it
they can fund some more useless studies that never come true

:thank you:

St. Phatty

the earth has been dealing with remaining ice from millions of years ago, the sun has been getting older and having its flare ups warming the earth.

Static, thats a pipedream of liberals that utilize fear tactics of our ever changing climate.

Why do you call out the liberals for "fear tactics"

when "fear tactics" are at the heart of the astronomical amount of "Defense" spending promoted by the "conservatives" ?

Mr. J

when "fear tactics" are at the heart of the astronomical amount of "Defense" spending promoted by the "conservatives" ?
Maybe because this is a discussion about climate and not about defense spending.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
Weak influences of the Earth's magnetic field on ocean circulation

R. H. Tyler

First published: 28 July 2006
https://doi.org/10.1029/2006GL026372

Abstract

[1] In this work, models for the Earth's magnetic field and global ocean circulation are combined to produce the first quantitative estimates of the electromagnetic Lorentz forces which couple abyssal ocean layers with the energetic surface layers. Under present conditions these coupling forces are very weak: typical time scales for the transfer of momentum to the lower layers are about three thousand years. But they are worth describing quantitatively because of the following: 1) The coupling rapidly increases in proportion with the square of the Earth's magnetic field strength; 2) This process is intrinsically efficient at accelerating slow or stagnant abyssal ocean layers; 3) These time scales, while long, are similar to those of rapid climate variability which are expected to be associated with past variability in ocean circulation, overturning and heat transport.

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2006GL026372

M

moose eater

Maybe because this is a discussion about climate and not about defense spending.

Defense (and related spending) and climate change precautions/prep/awareness have been merged at the federal level.

kickarse

The rich will get richer( a lot richer), we all get to have intermittent power

solar and wind are about as useful as tits on a bull

Lyfespan

dude leftist tree huggers like gore, aoc and more please.

wtf you are to far off topic with defense spending in here:thank you:

Lyfespan

I wouldn't classify the earth's core and mantle an electrode, but hey.... feel free and take liberty.

please stay on topic, you do know the earths core and that magnetic field are responsible for the fucking rotation of the earth, right tiger

you seem to have a problem with distinguishing systems:tiphat:

M

moose eater

when the smoke screen doesnt work :laughing:

There's pages and pages available re. the DoD and other U.S. Gov sources citing (and calculating/spending) re. climate change.

Phatty typically knows what he's posting about. And I believe has worked, or still does, in the Defense industry.

Here's a few off the very top of the Google search, from a -lengthy- number of links and articles re. that very topic..

https://dod.defense.gov/News/Article/Article/612710/

https://www.cfr.org/blog/climate-change-threat-military-security

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...n-critical-bases-face-climate-change-threats/

https://www.americansecurityproject...-releases-report-on-threat-of-climate-change/

Latest posts

Latest posts